Affiliate Observations 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate Observations 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 328 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

Great question about Walker. I thought they’d start giving him some time in LF.
    But with the good seasons of Nootbaar, Burleson, and Yepez, I don’t know. Goldy is signed through 2024. What happens if Walker is ready sometime in 2023?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There will be DH AB’s available most likely.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Walker is ready by 2023, that’s a great problem to have. DH will help spread some ABs around, as gscottar said.

bccran
    Participant

Is DH the best role for what may be your most talented youngster?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Stop worrying. They will spread at bats and defensive assignments around if needed. Fretting about what might be in two years from now is silly.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good to see Nick Plummer has earned a promotion to Memphis.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes, it is very good to see.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some fans are so unrealistic. Just saw a Tweet ripping the Cards for taking Plummer before Walker Buehler in 2015. Even if Plummer never plays a day in the majors, St. Louis got five major leaguers from that draft class – a huge haul. Get some perspective, please!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve got no worries about where Walker will play at the MLB level. If he keeps raking like he has been, they will find somewhere to put him. It’s been impressive.

Also, congrats to Plummer. He’s making a case to have a shot at a 4th OFer spot next year, which is more than you’d have thought he could have done coming into the year. He and Delvin Perez are neck and neck in the “making themselves a real prospect again” race.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Fwiw, don’t be surprised if Walker starts playing another position as he matriculates up the system, either.

Hank Stram alert!

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

The interesting thing about Plummer is how little he has changed in approach and swing, and how much the results have improved. He modified his swing plane, and that new path meant everything. He still swings hard every time, he still strikes out too much, but his results speak volumes.

For those who haven’t seen him live much, think John Jay with an even better eye and more pop. He has learned to drop his bat head and drive the strike on the outside corner with shocking authority. That is where half his long balls have come from.
    He will turn on balls,also. He and Burleson are similarly limited defensively. His recent time in CF has only served to emphasize his limited abilities although he has been error free.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Just a heads up, when everyone is talking up how huge Perez has gotten this off season, and how his body is developing, take that with some skepticism. If he ever broke 170 pounds, those days are in the rear view mirror.
    He is a great fielder. He hits with some authority, but Perez has not kept any weight on that is visibly noticable.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would say Perez could be on the Edmundo Sosa path, which is better than it looked like a year ago.

We seem to have a plethora of 4th OF types coming up. Nootbaar, Plummer, Burleson, Capel, etc… Maybe one of them will blossom into more than that.

Yepez and Baker are also making noise for future DH AB’s.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nigel, thank you for the reports. Here are Perez’ OPS by month. Very odd.

May .609
    June .930
    July .636
    August .468

FWIW, Sosa was far more consistent as a minor leaguer.

Do you think Burleson could be better than a fourth?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is Burleson’s first year playing pro ball and they want him to compete at AAA level. I wish him well but expect he will run into trouble. A lot of guys have, and are, getting beamed up but I think it catches up to them. There aren’t any short cuts.

I’m glad somebody figured out Plummer’s problem. Finally. I bet it was a cigar chomping baseball guy suggested giving the computer generated optimized swing the heave ho.

I get that Walker is a top prospect. He’s 19 and has two months in high A where he has an ok BA and no power. I know, he will be fine. When he IS fine then lets see how he handles AA. I assume that will be his assignment to start off next season. Unless they beam him up. Time should be on his side right now but I have no confidence the org will make use of that.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Once again, bling, Walker had to adjust to the next level when he moved up to A+. In his first 8 games, he had a line of .176/.200/.294/.494 with no HRs and 11 Ks in 35 PAs. In the next 27 games his line has been .321/.377/.455/.832 with 2 HRs and 30 Ks in 122 PAs. He only turned 19 in May.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I don’t have any real read on Burleson. I live four blocks from the park, but I just didn’t go enough during his time here.
    My big picture thoughts are still Nootbarr is Skip Shumaker, but his power development could still change that outlook.
    Plummer is better than Capel, but Capel is better at everything you would stereotypically credit Plummer with…ie: reads off the bat, speed and angles to the ball, as well as base running. Capel’s arm is much better, but Nick Plummer has learned to hit and his power outshines Capel which was the dream everyone had for Conner’s development.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am aware forsch. My point is that it is a long way from A ball to MLB. A lot of walls to be either scaled or hit. People already have him inked in on a future Cardinals lineup card. The majority of great looking A ballers fade to mediocrity when they get to the upper levels.

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Your splits on Walker make a very good point, forsch. He’s more than held his own after a brief adjustment period.

We haven’t had a hitter like him in the system in awhile.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Burleson and Nootbaar both have the potential to be more than 4th OF’s. I am not sold on Plummer and Capel yet but they have had nice seasons this year.

I know comps are dangerous but it helps me describe a player. If Nootbaar can continue to make adjustments I think he could put up similar numbers to Dylan Carlson. I think Burleson could develop into a poor man’s Kyle Schwarber. I am not saying Burleson can hit 35HR’s in the big leagues but his hit profile reminds me of Schwarber. Plummer and Capel are probably nothing more than 4th OF types. Jon Jay was mentioned the other day. That sounds about right.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Have the recent games led to any concerns about Lars’ defense? Yes, he made a good running catch to seal Pirates Game 3, but prior to that, there were a series of issues.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The majority of great looking A ballers fade to mediocrity when they get to the upper levels.

This is a blanket statement that needs some nuance. I believe that you would be correct if you were to say that and include every player who comes across A ball. There are plenty of college players who light the world on fire against the youngsters in A ball and then can’t hack it at the upper levels. So I agree with that.

It’s a totally different game when it comes to 18-19-20 year olds at advanced A. These young for level players pan out at a much higher rate. I’d have to go find the post but Bob Reed posted the list of 18-19 year olds in the last 10 years that accumulated a 150 wRC+ or better in a season at A+ (cutoff 200 PA). It was a pretty good list. Ok, here’s the quote:

Mike Trout, Wil Myers, Oscar Taveras, Javy Baez, Corey Seager (are you impressed yet?), Byron Buxton, Bobby Bradley, Eloy Jimenez, Fernando Tatis Jr., Bo Bichette, and Vlad Guerrero Jr.. As you can see, it’s rarified air.

Since then you could probably add Wander Franco and maybe another one or two. Walker doesn’t quite have those stats, but he has been impressive. Pencil him in for St Louis in 2023? Maybe not. But he’s quite exciting.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s nice that Memphis will continue playing into October. I don’t think the lower levels continue though.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As far as Walker goes, even more impressive is he has battled through injuries, one with his wrist. Just imagine if that has sapped his power?

1982 willie
    Participant

I’m with bling. There is no benefit to rushing players. If you are expecting young guys to come in and save you, you are a bad organization. Give em some time. Once they have got to a pint where they have done everything in minors and can’t really learn anymore, move em up.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 328 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.