Affiliate Observations 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate Observations 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 328 total)
  • Author
    forsch31
    Participant

Free

27, according to Baseball Reference, Dickson has been in Japan this whole time. It looks like he hasn’t started a game since 2017 but has had a good ERA for almost his entire time there. He’s had 32 saves over the last 2 years.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Gorman was healthy, I wonder if they could shift all of our third base prospects up a level? They all have had good to great starts to 2021. Gorman to Memphis, Nunez to Springfield, and Walker to Peoria. At least in the next month or so.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

That will probably happen after the draft

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought Dickson had not pitched this year before we signed him. If that is correct, he will need a bit of time to ramp up.

As to Gorman, I have a fear he is one of those lefty pull hitters that hits moon shots in the minors and gets eaten up in MLB now days. Carlson’s line from the left side is rather paltry (.245 BA, .338 OBP) for a #2 hitter, but he has some righty ABs to prop up his overall line. I have seen that he sometimes uses a nice inside out swing from the right side, but from the left its the pull swing every time. Hopefully Gorman is not the same.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He probably is the same though, with the focus on exit velocity and launch angle and such, he knows what butters his bread and isn’t going to be interested in stroking it to left.

dac8b9
    Participant

Blingboy, Gorman has actually done much better this season at using all fields, though he doesn’t have as much power hitting it to left. That said, as he adjusted more to double a pitching he became able to pull pitches he previously couldn’t, causing his power numbers to return to previous levels. But he definitely isn’t as pull happy as he used to be

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Happy to hear it dac.

dac8b9
    Participant

Question for those who are familiar with our lower level teams, basically Springfield, Peoria and Palm Beach. Who do we have in terms of starting pitchers that looks promising? I realize pitching is our organizational weakness right now. I’m just curious if there are any young pitchers in the lower levels who should be on my radar? I’m familiar with Levi Prater, Ludwin Jimenez, Ian Bedell, and Tink Hence. Just looking for names that have maybe shown some flashes, or have a plus pitch or two. Much appreciated for the help!

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think it was earlier this year that they signed Edwin Nunez for $525,000. He hasn’t had much success at Palm Beach so far. Just speculating, but he would seem to be a candidate for the Complex League after they start moving people around after the draft. Here’s a link:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/cardinals-sign-flamethrower-from-dominican-republic/

Angel Cuenca was garnering interest at one point. But I see that he’s now on the 60 day IL. I couldn’t find what put him there.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Below AAA, I would say Pallante and Ralston are our top starting prospects. Pallante has a nice 4 pitch mix, and has hit 97 on the gun. Lunn has had several good starts. Prater, Moreno, and Jimenez may get there, but have serious control issues. Paniagua has put up good numbers, but is currently injured. Trogrlic-Iverson is another that has shown promise. Overall, the starting pitching cupboard is pretty bare, with many prospects having control issues. I am very curious what happened to Hence. Was he simply not ready for a full season squad, or is he hurt?

dac8b9
    Participant

Thanks for the info, 27. On Hence, I’m not too concerned yet given he was a high schooler and also I don’t believe he got an invitation to the alternate site last year like Walker and Winn did. They could be holding him back trying to build up arm strength and work on specific issues like fine tuning his secondary pitches with coaches and rapsodo cameras, for example. Honestly, that is something I would do with a high school pitcher before sending them to A ball. The types of leaps pitchers can make using that technology can be career altering.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

lrcardinal
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Hi Brian,

I was looking around at the GCL web pages yesterday and noticed that the Astros appear to have 2 Complex League Teams. Will the Cardinals be playing both teams or just one? They are both lumped in the same division according to the website.

Update…
    I take that back. MILB Website is confusing. Divisions lineup shows two Astros Teams, but if you click on Standings, there is only one FCL Astros team showing. Must be a work in progress!!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve seen Gorman play live, and now since he is little over an hour drive away, I will have to see Walker play. Hoping for a little rain, and a double header for Peoria.

dac8b9
    Participant

27, my dad and I are already talking about making a trip to see Walker now that he’s in Peoria! We went to see Gorman when he was there back when the blues won the cup. That was our first minor league game and it was a lot of fun. We had plans to see Carlson in Springfield but I got busy with grad school. I told him a few weeks ago we definitely need to see Walker when he gets promoted.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

dac, I looking forward to seeing him play. Even more impressive than his youthful success, is that he had a wrist injury with all of that. What would his numbers be if was fully healthy? He should be moving up, or appearing on top 100 lists. I am doing a rain dance when Peoria is at home hoping for a double header, because the Chiefs used to have suite tickets for DHs for $20.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards Florida Complex league lost today 3-1. Prospects Statler, Hence, and Fletcher played today. Statler struck out 5, Hence pitched a scoreless inning with a K. Fletcher was 1-4, but struck out twice.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Since Peoria is very close, I am definitely going to have to go watch Walker.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Peoria is a fun place to watch a game. I like that ballpark. Jordan better not get here too quick since he’s a third baseman and Gorman is already penciled in at 2nd.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

It’s going to be interesting to see where Walker will end up playing when/if he gets to St. Louis. Arenado is signed through 2027. Walker should be up well before then. If there is a DH, that will help a little but Gorman is also a DH possibility. RF is mentioned as a possible landing spot in his MLB Top Prospect scouting report.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder where Gorman will play mostly, and where in the lineup they will have him. Batting 2nd maybe like Springfield? It seems they Memphis has opening at 3rd, but have a bunch of 2nd base candidates. As for Walker, his trajectory could be Springfield/Memphis in 2022.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We should probably keep in mind that Jordan is a 19 yr old who looked good for a 100 or so ABs in A ball and Gorman is a 21 yr old who hit .288 in the Texas League. All good so far, but lets not fit them for their red jackets yet.

Hopefully we don’t abuse any more first rounders pushing them ahead too fast just because we are desperate up above, like with Thompson.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 328 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.