Affiliate Observations 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate Observations 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 328 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If I were the Cardinals I would do whatever necessary to make sure our 4 full season affiliates have the necessary pitching in 2022 to be successful. Even if they have to sign more independent league players and journeyman that won’t ever make the majors I would do it. Why? Because we need our affiliates to win games. I am all for development but if our minor league players are only used to losing day after day they forget what it takes to be a winner and it could impact their career in the bigs. We need a winning culture.

bccran
    Participant

Well said gscottar.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have a hard time believing that the relative failure of so much of the Cardinals’ minor league pitching is the result of poor scouting and drafting even though no other explanation has been suggested. I don’t want to muddy up this forum with pure speculation, so I’ll leave it at that. I do expect our minor league pitching to be much, much better in 2022.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really would like to see pitching upgrades. Adding a #1 or #2 starter and a cLoser. I really would like to see our young position players be given as many chances as possible. I know they will will take their lumps as rookies, but Yepez, Nootbaar, Gorman, Donovan, and Burleson provide us with young depth we haven’t had in a long time. On the pitching side I really like Liberatore, Pallante and Walsh (if he can stay healthy). Pallante, Rondon, along with Oviedo May be used as relievers during part if 2022, although They will be given every chance to stay starting.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really would like to see pitching upgrades. Adding a #1 or #2 starter and a cLoser.

C27, for which team would you like to see these additions? Since this is the affiliate thread I assume you aren’t referring to the big league club.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wonder which of our notable minor leaguers can be free agents? I believe Plummer, Santos, and Ascanio potentially can.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2021-22-minor-league-free-agents-for-all-30-mlb-teams/

Some interesting names that are MILB free agents. The Cards have a relatively short list compared to other teams. Names familiar among Cards fans are Seth Blair, Allen Córdoba, and Tate Matheny.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27, Ascanio was released last month.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have high hopes for adding to our offense in the future with prospects like Gorman, Nootbaar, Yepez, Burleson, Donovan, Herrera, Walker, Winn. Our pitching pipeline is thinner, but Liberatore, Pallante, Walsh, Pacheco, Rondon, Oviedo, Ralston, etc give me hope. Along with a good group of hurlers from the 2021 draft.
    With a good 2022 draft we could fill in even more gaps.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think our team prospect rankings will increase next year. Memphis should be loaded with top prospects, including pitchers who should show much improved form. Springfield might be a weak link until Walker and Winn arrive there. Peoria and Palm Beach should be bolstered by 2021 draftees, and international signings from years past who are ready to blossom.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am counting 6 starting pitchers at Memphis, Oviedo, Pallante, Rondon, Thompson, Thomas, and Liberatore. If, and that’s big if injuries don’t bite us, also assuming one of the 6 doesn’t make the big club, who would be the odd man out? Either sent down to Springfield, or moved to the bullpen. I have thought that Oviedo might be best suited for the bullpen. One other possibility would be a 6 man rotation, which management history has not implemented at AA or AAA to my knowledge.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am also interested at how many 2021 draftees make the starting rotation in Peoria. Mcgreevy, Graceffo, MIlls, Love surely would be some of the candidates along with Dionys Rodriguez being bumped up from Palm Beach.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27

I am counting 6 starting pitchers at Memphis, Oviedo, Pallante, Rondon, Thompson, Thomas, and Liberatore. If, and that’s big if injuries don’t bite us, also assuming one of the 6 doesn’t make the big club, who would be the odd man out? Either sent down to Springfield, or moved to the bullpen. I have thought that Oviedo might be best suited for the bullpen. One other possibility would be a 6 man rotation, which management history has not implemented at AA or AAA to my knowledge.

Oviedo, imo, is the second-best long-term SP candidate out of that group. I think Thompson and Conner Thomas will both end up in the bullpen. The jury is still out on Rondon and Pallante for me at least.

Also, Woodford is likely going to be in the bullpen, but would be the first man up as a SP injury replacement plus we have no idea what their plans are for Reyes and Hicks.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I saw the article about former Angels prospect Roberto Baldoquin. I remember how they crushed the market back in 2015 signing him. I didn’t realize though its the same guy that played here in my backyard in Lexington this past year. The Indy League here is trash pitching-wise, but Baldoquin still hit well. Brandon Phillips is a part-owner, part-time player for the team. At 40, he had a .841 OPS, while Baldoquin had a .999 OPS.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cool story about Phillips. I didn’t know that. I guess he is now more than a “Legend” in his own mind!!! 😉

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27

I am also interested at how many 2021 draftees make the starting rotation in Peoria. Mcgreevy, Graceffo, MIlls, Love surely would be some of the candidates along with Dionys Rodriguez being bumped up from Palm Beach.

I would think Tink Hence and Ian Bedell from the 2020 draft would be as well.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bedell yes, Hence much less so. The latter barely pitched in the FCL and seems behind. I can’t see him as a high schooler with that minimal prior exposure hopping over Palm Beach. Doubly so with all the Peoria rotation competition. Among others mentioned already, Paniagua and Prater should be in the mix, too.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good call – For some reason, I always think of Hence as a college draftee, not a HS guy – Same boat I was in with Woodford.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hence probably starts at Palm Beach with a low innings profile due to his youth. Bedell’s timetable for injury recovery may mean he begins his season a month or so later in May maybe?

I think Yasenka may be moved to relief, and could flourish there, as he reminds me of Thompson’s success the first time through a lineup. I also believe Gragg will improve at Springfield, with his size and relative pitching inexperience in college. Ralston may move to the bullpen, but could be a weapon there.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My way too early rotations are:

Memphis
    Oviedo
    Thompson
    Rondon
    Pallante
    Liberatore

Springfield
    Ralston
    Lunn
    Pereira
    Gragg
    Robles

Peoria
    D Rodriguez
    Graceffo
    Love
    Mcgreevy ???
    Mills

Palm Beach
    Hence
    Solano
    Bedell, at least to start the season
    Cuenca

I am starting with Thomas in the Cardinals bullpen. There are a number of other pitchers from the 2021 draft who will be in this mix such as Heineke, Granillo, and Willis, etc. although the latter likely starts in the FCL.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll a add Jose Davila to my Palm Beach rotation. I streamed a Palm Beach game and he was hitting mid 90’s with his fastball, and appeared to have a good breaking ball and changeup. Pretty raw, but the potential is there.

14NyquisT
    Participant

It will be interesting to see how the four rotations shake out. I give you credit for posting these guesses in early December. Good job 27.

14NyquisT
    Participant

This according to Baseball America.

Endeavor has formed a subsidiary named Diamond Baseball Holdings to acquire all four Braves minor league affiliates (Triple-A Gwinnett, Double-A Mississippi, High-A Rome and Low-A Augusta) as well as the Cubs Triple-A affiliate (Iowa), the Yankees Triple-A affiliate (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre), the Cardinals Triple-A affiliate (Memphis), the Yankees High-A affiliate (Hudson Valley) and the Giants Low-A affiliate (San Jose).

Peter Freund, majority owner of the Memphis Redbirds before this process began, is the CEO of DBH.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 328 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years