Affiliate Observations 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate Observations 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 328 total)
  • Author
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

Did I hear that Palm Beach had to face Syndergaard and Degrom on b2b day? haha!

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes, Syndergaard pitched 4 scoreless innings against PB.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am thinking more and more that Burleson should make Memphis by the end of the year, with an outside shot of making the big club. He seems to have handled all challenges so far. He also should be player (hitter) of the month, with one of my favs, Jake Walsh, pitcher of the month.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am with you C27. Burleson is red hot and moving up fast. Guys like Williams, Thomas, and Hurst can’t feel too comfortable with their 40 man spot.

bccran
    Participant

All Hurst, Williams, and Thomas are doing is taking up room on the 40 man. None of them belong there.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Burleson has a half dozen games at AA, I wouldn’t start hyperventilating just yet.

It is nice to see Plummer off to a good start in Springfield after stumbling around for a few years. Maybe we will yet see something from that 1st round pick.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A guy has played a half dozen games in AA and people think he is ready to make big club.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A guy has played a half dozen games in AA and people think he is ready to make big club.

Looking at the active roster, it seems like Mo might be one of those people.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t say he was ready for the big league club. I said he was moving up fast. If he keeps it up he could make it to St. Louis by mid 2022. But I tell you what, if he was in St. Louis right now do you think his numbers would be worse than Williams and Thomas?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

if he was in St. Louis right now do you think his numbers would be worse than

Williams and Thomas?

Not enough to matter, unfortunately

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I saw they hired an Indy ball lefty for the AA team. Looking at his year by year stats, which incudes a good start this year in very limited action, it looks like a desperation move. But I wish him well. If he catches fire the next several weeks he could be here, especially if he throws strikes.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if we may see a few more minor league free agent signings and indy ball signees coming on board to try to give our affiliates some kind of spark. Or they may just ride it out with what have. I haven’t done the research but I wonder what the lowest win % is for the entire system in our history? I hope we don’t set that record.

I know I have said in the past that the milb system should be for developing players instead of the worrying about the w-l record, but I am re-thinking that statement. I still think development is important but you also don’t want our players getting used to losing day after day. Their confidence could get buried. That is a brutal way to go through a season.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve been wondering that too gscottar. There is also the need for affiliated teams to make a buck, and I think having a team that doesn’t stink helps.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would have no problem promoting Burleson to Memphis, or anyone else who is playing as well as he is. Even making it to St Louis is possible this year. If Bader, O’Neill, or Carlson get hurt again I would prefer adding Burleson before giving more time to Thomas or Williams.

14NyquisT
    Participant

C-27 the 6’2″ 22 y.o., LH hitting OF/1B 70th selection in the ’20 draft is certainly turning some heads in Springfield. During the 10 games he has played at AA it seems that he has a good feel for the challenge. I’d like to see more of him at AA and if he maintains his current success then move him up to AAA Memphis to continue challenging him. That approach worked for Carlson and is being used more and more by MLB teams. Going from low-A to the ML in one season is a stretch.

If he jumps to AAA he’ll be joining his fellow East Carolina Pirate alum Evan Kruczynski.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It looks like the Cards are starting to add more milb free agents. This blurb says they have signed Tyler Pike to a contract. Not sure which affiliate will get him. Probably Springfield or Memphis.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess I missed Bedell having Tommy John surgery.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Gragg moving Peoria’s rotation. And it is a shame Paniaugua pitched well for Palm Beach tonight, before rain has halted play. Springfield has jumped out to a 5-1 lead.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Springfield has the best chance of being respectable or being good. They are winning big 10-3. And more on Burleson. I just like his approach. He just doubled in a run, driving it to the opposite field. He seems patient enough to take walks, has some power, and doesn’t strike out much. Nice trifecta. Also birthday boy, Herrera drove in a run. Nice lineup they have.

14NyquisT
    Participant

When I go to check the affiliate’s games/scores these days with the hope for something good to appear. Not too many good things going on. I think that the play of our farm system may have hit an all-time low. For those who don’t follow, not going there is the way to go. Many, many of games played by all of our squads are pathetic. Mozeliak should be ashamed.

A few years ago he was a self-proclaimed genius. Now there is little proof that that is even close to being true. Many our highly rated guys are stumbling and fumbling on teams that get bombed more frequently than I’ve ever seen. ERAs/ WHIPs are sky high and BAs are curbside low. If you have a strong constitution…. go take a look.

This is all disturbing. The saying that “you can’t have enough pitching” is ringing in Mozeliak’s ears. Sure the pandemic lay-off was detrimental to these youngsters but many of the players in the same leagues are finding successful productions. So what gives?

Where are our pipeline prospects? Mozeliak should be considered on thin ice…. but some insist he isn’t. How far down does our farm system have to go before alarms sound? There are red flags all over the place? Regrettably, I can’t see this situation rebounding anytime soon.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

I haven’t been a diehard follower of our farm system for that long, but yes, it is disconcerting to see how bad our farm system is. With all of the teams, they can go up by six runs in the top half of an inning, and you can be sure they will give it back in the bottom half. Or go up by five runs in the first and wind up losing by five.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am wondering about injury status of Walker, as he has now been out a few weeks. If I heard correctly, he has a wrist injury, which can be an slow healing injury.

Also, Perez and Walsh have not played in games for a while. Especially newly crowned pitcher of the month Walsh, who has an injury history.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Four Indy League pitchers signed in 3 days. Surely that is unprecedented.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I had a double take upon Memphis’ pitcher Dickson tonight. And sure enough it is a familiar face, former Redbirds Brandon Dickson. He was released on 2012, and pitched in Japan. I am curious to read up on Brian upcoming article about his addition. Has he pitched in Japan that whole time?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So far, these Indy league guys have done okay. Pike actually has a pretty good curve ball. At the very least, I salute their perseverance.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 328 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.