Affiliate Observations 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate Observations 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 310 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On Thursday afternoon, the Cardinals organization named Nick Plummer and Wilfredp Pereira their July Player and Pitcher of the Month, respectively.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Anyone knoe where to find all time records for worst affiliate records in a season. We have to be close.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You miss the point. Tell us how often in recent years (if ever) did they take pitchers with 7 of their first 10.

My point was that 0% of more selections is still 0.

Unless they have figured out why none of the college pitchers previously selected are in the rotation now, then selecting more does not address the problem. I don’t know of any reason to think they are doing anything different with choosing and developing prospects, so it seems like we should expect the same results.

14NyquisT
    Participant

We are having some of the ’21 draftees starting out in Palm Beach which is probably demoralizing. Palm Beach may be the worst Cardinal affiliate ever. They had their heads handed to them in yesterday’s twin-bill(both games). Its getting to be a very sad state of affairs, actually embarrassing.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree 14, and the 800 pound gorilla is why, when everyone had a 2020 and everyone had a minors reconfiguration. And why are all of our affiliates sucking top to bottom. The lampshade on that gorilla must be radioactive as hell because no one wants to touch it. Mo made that brief comment to the effect things may have gone off track with analytics, but it was not followed up and nothing more has been seen or heard. And I think it was in answer to a question concerning the success of a couple guys we offloaded. We have no idea if that is seen as a driver behind the state of the system.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The 5 covid exposure IL placements in Springfield suprises me either because they are unvaccinated or because vaccinated players go on the IL due to exposure.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

There are also people who have been vaccinated who are still getting the virus.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks there were 4 2021 draftee pitchers who made their debut yesterday at Palm Beach and the FCL.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It will be interesting to see where they play him.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In his first game with Memphis tonight, Donovan started at third base. As mentioned in our Memphis Notebook today, the player Donovan replaced, Rayder Ascanio, covered third (along with Kramer Robertson) when Gorman is at second.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Can anyone who has either watched in person or on TV speak to how Plummer is in CF, Walker at 3B and how good/bad Gorman is adapting at 2nd?
    Around the draft I recall reading that Walker was to big to stick at 3rd but read somewhere recently about him “making a great play”. I haven’t been able to follow as much as in past years unfortunately.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Adolis Garcia’s success in CF may have rattled some cages in the Cards system as far a figuring out what a guy with a bat can and can’t do defensively.

As to Gorman, I wonder if his arm would work at 3rd in MLB. That could be a factor.

bccran
    Participant

Have any of you lost a little bit of interest in the minors this season? There are still some guys like Gorman, Libby,
    Thompson, Walker, etc., but overall the names on some of those 4 teams are starting to run together in a sea of mediocracy.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Bling, you think Gorman’s move was arm related or because of a guy with the same first name at third for hopefully the next 6 years?

14NyquisT
    Participant

With Rondon shelved on the IL, Thomas will get a shot at a regular starter spot. He has been solid in his 6 starts since mid-June. Sometimes guys will grab an opportunity like this and run with it.

bccran
    Participant

Thomas has been a pleasant surprise.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gorman had a rough start to his Memphis career. Since July 14 he’s been pretty exciting, actually…a .314/.377/.550 line for a 144 wRC+, and his walk (8.4%) and K (16.9%) rates are more than acceptable. While you never want to put too much pressure on a youngster, he’s making a case to have a legit shot at a starting position next spring in St Louis. I think his bat may look more like Arenado long term (good power, decent average and BB rates that will probably keep his OBP down overall) and he’s probably not a world beater defensively at 2B, but it would possibly add some LH thump to the lineup. He’ll probably outhit Tommy Edman, anyway. Even as a rookie.

bccran
    Participant

Yepez was 4 out of 4 today with 4 doubles. Burleson was 2 out of 5, with a homer and 6 runs batted in. They’re really making some noise down at Memphis. They, along with Gorman and Nootbaar are bright lights this season.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bling, you think Gorman’s move was arm related or because of a guy with the same first name at third for hopefully the next 6 years?

Yeah, I get the need angle. But moving a 3B arm arm to 2B is not a thing that is done is all I meant.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

bling, the Cardinals moved DeJong from 3B to SS and Mendoza from 3B to SS. There would not be much difference between moving to SS or moving to 2B. I know that having a strong arm and good glove is usually a reason to leave a person at 3B. However, Gorman has a special bat and the Cardinals are trying to find a way to get it into the lineup.

Gorman turned 21 in May and was brought up to AAA in late June. If you throw out his first 5 games at AAA, he has hit .289/.351/.497/.847 while in Memphis this year. That’s special. In 18 games in August, Gorman has hit .309/.382/.559/.940. He keeps adjusting to every level he plays at.

bccran
    Participant

How long has it been since we’ve had a position player come through the system with a ceiling as high as Gorman? Maybe OT?
    And now we have both Gorman and Walker.
    Pretty exciting.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems like it’s been forever since we had players like that. And we should be able to add Winn and Baez to the list next year. Pretty exciting.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There would not be much difference between moving to SS or moving to 2B.

I could not agree with that at all. 3rd to SS is a move to a more demanding defensive position. Both require left side arm strength with SS requiring more quickness and range. 3rd to 2nd is a move to a less demanding defensive position, something which is virtually never done unless and until the player is judged unable handle the current defensive position going forward.

I know nothing about Gorman’s arm and I agree a move to 2nd gets around a block in his path to MLB.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gorman’s arm is fine. The move was about finding him a place to play at the big league level. 3B is not going to happen unless Arenado gets hurt. It’s really that simple.

Fwiw, don’t be surprised if Walker starts playing another position as he matriculates up the system, either. I think he’s the 1B of the future, personally.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years