Affiliate Observations 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate Observations 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 328 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

27 – Would like to stay with one pick at a time 1-10, if that’s okay. 6-10 should be some interesting discussions.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I can see going one at a time 1-10, three at a time after that… if we only go to 30.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I see Liberatore and Gorman making an impact in +St Louis by May or June if 2022. I see struggling as with all rookies, but both should be ready to help. Yepez May help too, and might make a great DH, with Gorman getting DH time also.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gorman and Liberatore both sped through the minors similarly. The draft year and the first full year with short season and single A level teams followed by a year in the upper levels. That’s not much pro experience by historical standards but maybe the new norm.

I think I heard that the new CBA might make years of control related to player age rather than number of service years. If so, that would encourage beaming guys up.

bccran
    Participant

Maybe use number of years as a pro?

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

When can we expect to see players (minor leaguers and DSL) get dropped to make room for the new players coming in January? I assume there will be a correlation with who gets dropped from the major league team and the bumping up from the various levels in the organization. Just didn’t know the timeline for that.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

cardsfan64 you can pull up the 2020-2021 offseason Roster Matrix and look through the chronological list of transactions. It looks like there was a group of DSLers cut in December and another group cut in January.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The academy typically has instructional camp in the fall and that is one milestone. Another is the new international signing year, which begins on January 15.

Another factor is minor league free agency this fall.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

Congrats to Matt and Juan. Liberatore we know plenty about… Yepez has been around pro ball since he was signed by The Braves in ’14 and started rookie ball in ’15. That’s 7 years ago and he is still only 23 years old. Since coming to the Cards in May of ’17 he has been second-hand news often moving around to accommodate higher ranked prospects. But ’21 has to be considered a breakout season for Yepez.

He was well regarded in the ATL organization then with the Card’s system. He showed some potential at first and then moved along slowly….. but had dropped in most prospect rankings.

He has added power to his resume in ’21…. with Memphis he hit 22HRs in 304 ABs with 47XBHs. Besides 1B he also can play 3B and the two corner OF spots. Add in his .289 BA and you have a player on the doorstep to MLB. His improvements puts him line for a utility role with the Cards in ’22. There may be one or two guys ahead of him now that are on the 40-mam roster but a good turnout by Juan at spring training could change that. Finally the Cards got what they traded for.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Both players were trade acquisitions.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The first installment is free…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bling has brought this question up a few times but no one seems to have an answer. Will anyone in the organization be demoted or dismissed for this dismal system performance or are the Cardinals going to shrug it off?

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

I think the answer is We’ll see.

Not sure how anyone on this board would be able to give a definite answer.

It sure was an unpleasant season to recap four times/week. There’s only so many ways to say ‘This team stinks. They lost again.’

14NyquisT
    Participant

UConn…. I felt your frustration with every recap. Sometimes there was enough offense to fill up space.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

I’d be interested to see a comparison of average position of 1st pick in draft the last 10 years. I’d think we would be close to last, especially if you average in the year we didn’t pick until 3rd rd. Or maybe total draft pool last ten years averaged out. We might do a little better here with the competitive balance picks added.

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Tried to tone it down Ny. Less successful than I might have been but not nearly as snarky as my first inclination.

That first inclination might have rivaled the late Joe Strauss.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think all the people with the org now were brought in to work the system that has been put in place at the top. Brought in or bought in completely. The old schoolers and anyone who gave then the side eye are long gone. So unless someone is not working the system as expected, There is no reason for them to be removed. The system may suck and produce dreadful results, but if they are working it, the results will not get them fired.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who is not eligible for prospect status now? Whitley, Fernandez, and Oviedo, among others, have graduated, correct?

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Some prospects who I think could play a part in some major league decisions before/during the 2022 season:

Juan Yepez
    Nolan Gorman
    Ali Sanchez
    Brendan Donovan
    Nick Plummer
    Matthew Liberatore
    Connor Thomas

bccran
    Participant

Good list, Forsch. Would you also include any of Oviedo, Burleson, Thompson, Capel, Robertson, and Warner?

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Several AAA players will need a 40 man spot or risk losing them to the Rule 5 draft. I am very curious to see what the Cards do to make room for them and which ones get a spot!

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have a feeling only Donavan will be added to the 40 man roster. The possibility of Dean, Williams and Quezada being removed, and/or traded are high, particularly Williams since he is out of options. Also intrigued by the Cards thinking of sending Walsh to the AFL May increase his chances of being added. I only think this since live arm relievers are the easiest to be kept on a 40 man roster, especially on a bad team.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

VEB took a shot at the 40 man.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The 2020 shutdown of MiLB together with elimination of the short season roster slots would have been traumatic. Not sure why it was more traumatic for the Cards org that for others. I think that if the lower level squads do not show much improvement next year we have a really big problem somewhere.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 328 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.