Affiliate Observations 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate Observations 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 266 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

AAA should be loaded with hitting prospects next year. Hopefully Herrera, Yepez, Gorman, Perez, Donavon, Nootbaar, Burleson, Plummer continue to rake. The big improvement most all of need to make is more walks taken along with better contact.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

FWIW …….. I have higher hopes for Plummer than this vivaelbirdos guy does. But I do enjoy his writing. Thanks for posting the link. I dislike setting parameters for a player like age, draft position, bonus. A player can emerge at any time and nobody can say how far he can go after that.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Any word on how Gorman is doing defensively at 2B in Memphis?

Offensively, hopefully he is working to improve his ugly platoon split and figuring out how to not hit into the shift that he will eventually encounter.

14NyquisT
    Participant

gscott…. I read the article and one sentence was revealing although I always include draft round and year in every list I make of the prospects. Not only do the Cards give a longer rope to high draft picks but I’ve noticed when acquiring players on minor league contracts most are first or second round selections though it may be several years ago.

Draft stock carries over in discussions far, far longer than it should, and a guy drafted in the seventh round who then hits like crazy up through Double A is still a seventh-rounder when trade talks start up, even if he’s also a potentially really good hitter.

Michael Dusablon
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Where is Justin Williams? Listed as active on the Memphis roster but hasn’t played in quite some time. Last game appearance was July 2nd.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was wondering about a player, I can’t remember his name now, but the Cardinals got him off an independent league team and hes pretty old for a ball player that still hadn’t made it to big leagues. He was a pitcher, saw him on cardinal insider. How is he doing?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have been trying to follow some of the dumpster dive guys, which was difficult initially, since I think they were just dumped on a roster where they didn’t stay. There are a couple you could be thinking of, one with an unusual line so far is Paul Schwendel at Peoria. Age 31. 12 IP, 25 K, 12 BB, 8 H, 5 ER. The guy signed on the same day Kevin Marnon has been on a couple roster and hasn’t pitched much either place.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I looked it up, Kevin McGovern, the Springfield team apparently they have gotten a couple others as well.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah, its sad. All levels are hurting. The desiccated remains of a once productive system.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What’s causing this?! We know the talent is there and we have players with impressive stats all over the place. And the Cardinals’ organization is ‘known for its pitching’. So what’s causing this? It’s as if they were all in hybernation during 2020 and it’s taking forever to come out it it.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Everybody’s pitching was in hibernation during 2020. Look at the large number of warm bodies we had to bring in to fill out rosters, the bad results of all our minor league teams, the terrible state of the MLB pitching staff, guys can’t throw strikes to the point we lead the league in walks and HBP by a wide margin. We have also been scraping bottom in many offensive categories all year. Clearly there is something very much broken. It seems self evident that it has been ongoing for more than a year or so. Some people want to believe it is somehow miraculously fixed and we can expect better next year. The next crop will be able to throw strikes and not scrape bottom offensively. I would really like there to be a rational justification for thinking that, but have not heard one.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And the Cardinals’ organization is ‘known for its pitching’.

We were at one time. Our front office saw all of the great young hitters the Cubs produced 5 or 6 years ago and we decided to mimic that, and it might actually work as we now have several very good hitters getting close to St. Louis. The problem is that our pitching pipeline has dried up. In the 2022 draft the Cardinals need to do what the Angels did this year, which is draft 20 pitchers and 0 position players.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You may be onto something there gscottar.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As everyone should agree, the earlier the draft pick, the higher odds of MLB success. THIS year, 7 of the Cardinals first 10 picks are pitchers. Six of them came from college. I think they finally get that they have a problem.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Checked on Flaherty’s start today and posted his line on the Rotation thread. Memphis, Peoria and PB lost. Springfield no score in 5th. Complex team did not play. Didn’t see much of note in the box scores. Brian’s reporter will make it sound more interesting I hope.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Springfield won. A 27 yr. old Indy guy we got end of May went 7 IP complete game. It looks like he’s been serviceable eating innings in the rotation and doesn’t walk many. Not bad at all if you don’t have a prospect to put in that slot, which we apparently don’t. Tyler Pike.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Burleson moving on up.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My player and pitcher of the month would be Luken Baker and Ramon Santos. Baker slugged 11 homers, mostly at the end of the month. With 24 rbis. Burleson was my pick until Bakers torrid finish. Plummer and Yepez had very good months also. Santos struck out 33 in 18 1/3 innings. Oddly, he gave up only 5 hits, but 2 were homers. Conner Thomas had a good month, but was hit hard in his last outing.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m glad Burleson is moving up. Williams roster spot is tenuous at best, along with PDL.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BW said:

THIS year, 7 of the Cardinals first 10 picks are pitchers. Six of them came from college. I think they finally get that they have a problem.

Its not like the org has never drafted a college pitcher before. How many of them are doing anything useful on the MLB roster this season? The answer is zero. Getting that you have a problem doesn’t mean you fixed it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You miss the point. Tell us how often in recent years (if ever) did they take pitchers with 7 of their first 10. And if you are suggesting they took the wrong pitchers this draft, please share who they should have taken instead.

The organization pivoted (too) hard to drafting hitting in recent years and now the pitching is down. So they are trying to address it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Has Fletcher been hurt, or deemed “not ready”? But I everyone can’t be a Jordan Walker?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 266 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years