Affiliate Observations 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate Observations 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 271 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d like to see Quezada given a chance when healthy.

We might see him but I really hope not. An A level pitcher who didn’t actually pitch his way out of A ball needs to acclimate in the upper levels. The weird 2020 season with guys beaming up to the bigs has caused enough havoc.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A shame to see that Jonatan Machado was released. Did he not sign for 1.5 million?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Saw the stat line on DSLs Antoni Cuello. 3 innings, 0 hits, 1 walk, 4 K’s. What caught my eye also is that he 18 years old, 6’5″, 168 pounds. Talk about projectability.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess I didn’t realize that 6’5″, 168 pounds was anatomically feasible.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tall drink of water this Antoni Cuello kid. PI wonder if he possibly inhabits the same biological family tree as ex Cards hurler, Mike Cuellar? You figure he’s bound to tack on another 30 lbs. of beef…. especially if he’s treated to some of UCONN’s home cooking. Which brings up a valid topic. I hope our young Birds aren’t eating vittles that some lowest bidder catering company whips up. Food intake is oh so important at their age. Each and every Cardinal affiliate should have an Aunt Bea doing the cooking. Anything less is hurting the franchise. I’m well aware that Aunt Bea’s’ don’t grow on trees……but they’re out there. If our franchise is ever going to take that next big leap forward, every base needs to be covered. Right now, if I had to venture an educated guess, I would think we’re hitting about 80% of them which isn’t bad. But it will never get you to where this team has never gone…. back-to-back World Series titles.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Get him a season pass to a steak house.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

ILopez was sent down to AA Springfield from AAA Memphis…. I wonder if now Donovan goes from AA to AAA. Donovan’s numbers are so much better this year than any of his prior pro seasons. The organization probably sees Donovan as the better prospect and will want to see what he can do at AAA. His ’21 season may have some reassessing his ceiling.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Been interesting watching the Complex Cardinals. Will be good to catch Julio Rodriguez rehab and hoping Joshua Baez soon plays.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Way to go Plummer.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Plummer and Perez are neck and neck for the coveted status of “guy who has remade himself into an actual prospect again.” Interesting that they were the two first rounders who looked like complete busts just a year ago.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree stl25. The Cardinals will have some interesting 40 man decisions this winter.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While our affiliates have losing records there have been some positives to develop this season.

Guys like Nolan Gorman, Jordan Walker, Alec Burleson, Nick Plummer, Delvin Perez, and Brendan Donovan have been terrific.

Malcolm Nunez, Jhon Torres, Kramer Robertson, Juan Yepez, Connor Thomas, Andre Pallante, Brady Whalen, Chandler Redmond, Masyn Winn, Todd Lott, Matt Koperniak, and Dionys Rodriguez have all been pretty good.

Liberatore and Ralston have been ok.

Herrera has been a bit disappointing but he still young for AA. The biggest disappointment has been Thompson but I think the organization put him in a tough spot by putting him in AAA.

14NyquisT
    Participant

For those who don’t follow the farm system closely the Memphis Redbirds AAA are on a roll. Consider that on July on July 9th they were 21-36…. today they are 35 up and 36 down. Yep that’s 14 in a row. The pitching has been much better. Rondon and Thomas have been solid and during the streak Woodford and Oviedo helped out. The bullpen has also improved.

C Ali Sanchez has upped his offensive numbers significantly. OFs Nootbaar-Capel-Thomas-Coulter have been assets as well as INFs Robertson and Mendoza. There’s been improvement up and down the order. Juan Yepez has homered in three straight games.

Despite winning 14 in a row…. they’re still a game under .500 but there is a light in the tunnel.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Plummer’s Lazarus impersonation this year has led to a lively conversation between my son and I concerning Plummer vis-a-vis Burleson.

Both left swingers which we need. My take is Plummer has more of a LF arm, but it may be too soon to tell how RF Burleson’s arm is. (In real life, vs advanced competition) Plummer has been doing the Chris Berman thing, rumblin, bumblin, stumblin for a few years and is now finding success at 24 yrs. old. Burleson right off the line doing well at 22.

They are both hitting well, Plummer recently surged to about 10 pts better than Burleson, but also has a 27% K rate to Burleson’s 22%. On the other hand, Plummer can take a walk and has a substantially higher OBP, and he also does not have Burleson’s ugly looking platoon split.

I don’t know enough about either to say if they are afflicted with the left handed swing of death that will pull it into the shift over and over in the bigs.

It will be interesting to see if Plummer the 1st rounder or Burleson the 2nd rounder ends up making an impact in MLB. And if so, for whom.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Seijas was one who seemed to be getting some traction in 2019, and then it’s just over. Hopefully he makes the most of his second chance if he gets one somewhere else.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The 2020 draft is looking very good considering 3 picks have already have had in season promotions.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Like Jake Walsh, I am wondering about the health of Jack Ralston, who hasn’t pitched in nearly a month.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Juan Yepez = 5 HRs in his last six games. He seems to be more comfortable having 1B to himself since Nogowski is gone.

The reemergence of DPerez and Plummer comes at a time when the farm system needs them most.For those who don’t follow the farm system closely the Memphis Redbirds AAA are on a roll. Consider that on July on July 9th they were 21-36…. today they are 35 up and 36 down. Yep that’s 14 in a row.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Walker is likely a better overall prospect, but Masyn Winn (based on stats alone) sure hasn’t disappointed.

14NyquisT
    Participant

My edit timer ran out….. grrrr. Juan Yepez = 5 HRs in his last six games. He seems to be more comfortable having 1B to himself since Nogowski is gone.

The reemergence of DPerez and Plummer comes at a time when the farm system needs them most.

For those who don’t follow the farm system closely the Memphis Redbirds AAA are on a roll. Consider that on July on July 9th they were 21-36…. today they are 35 up and 36 down. Yep that’s 14 in a row. I really didn’t want to jinx the Redbirds…. but they lost their next game 1-0. Their back on track with a win last night. Geez…. Liberatore got crunched last night.

It seems that the Memphis outfield is made up of all AAAA players. Maybe one of them will break loose in the next two months.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I mentioned this in a different thread but Juan Yepez and Brendan Donovan are both quietly becoming very good prospects for us. I think both may end up in my top 20 by season’s end.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 271 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years