Affiliate Observations 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate Observations 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 328 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting timing on Gorman’s promotion as he has had a little bit of a rough patch. Hopefully just one of those things and he’ll take to Memphis quickly.

Walker just looked too good for his league. I know that it’s hard to make definitive statements based on small samples but it got a bit ridiculous. 6 homers, a triple, 11 doubles in 122 plate appearances? That’s video game stuff. I’d expect him to hit something like Gorman did in his high A appearance…around league average at first, maybe a little better as the season wears on. It’s exciting to see the power coming through the system.

As for Nunez, he’s been coming on lately too. It’s easy to forget that he’s just 20 and already at Springfield. He hasn’t hit for a ton of power but has respectable K and walk rates, with an overall .285/.351/.453 line for a 120 wRC+.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully we don’t abuse any more first rounders pushing them ahead too fast just because we are desperate up above, like with Thompson.

Amen to that bling. The organization has done Thompson a major disservice by rushing him.

Even though the DH is on the horizon we sure have a lot of potential 3B to deal with.

Arenado
    Gorman
    Nunez
    Walker

Obviously Gorman is working at 2B but I wonder if Nunez and Walker will find other positions, be a DH, or be dealt for high end pitching. Yes I know I am getting ahead of myself but yet it is still something to think about.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d think Walker would make a fine 1B for when Goldy is nearing the end of his tenure. Which may already be happening I guess. You can never have too many good players, as the Dodgers have shown us.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Memphis opens a two-week homestand with Gwinnett with their roster at 29. Are there more dominos to fall?
    (!5 pitchers and 14 fielders). Cards yesterday sent Elledge down to an already overloaded BP…plus Woodford was sent down (maybe to stretch out. Ponce due back? The most recent additions for the Cards are LeBlanc, RRamirez and Brandon Waddell. Gant back to the BP.

The guys we had to bring up shows the lack of depth. Wainwright and Kim are the only reliable starters. You can throw Oviedo in there at your own risk. So the two other spots will be filled with Cmart-Waddell and LeBlanc…. pick 2. Yikesters.

dac8b9
    Participant

Walker for me is the same category of prospect as Taveras and Pujols until he shows otherwise. At this point in time we would be insane to trade him. I also think he could do just fine in a corner outfield spot as he has a long stride that covers a lot of ground once he gets going, based on what I’ve read.

I wouldn’t be opposed to trading Nunez in the right move, but with the dh coming it might be wise to hold onto some of our bat first hitters.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Peoria and Palm Beach rained out. Palm Beach will play double header tomorrow. Peoria plays DH Thursday.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gorman with a fly out and a walk in his AAA debut. Nunez with a pair of strikeouts in his first AA game.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Delvin Perez is easily the comeback player of the season so far. Nick Plummer would be in the conversation as well. Perez has developed some pop in his bat, and appears to be the player the Cards drafted in the first round years ago. He is a very aggressive base runner, sometimes too aggressive.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree C27. Perez could be headed towards a 40 man spot at the end of the year. He is in the discussion at least.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Oooh Ouch…. The Springfield BP imploded big time as UConn mentioned. Incredible. SPF is now at .333 16-32. Nunez played his first game at AA and was 0-4–3K and 2E. After being part of that shellacking and watching the BP play merry-go-round with the NWA batters he must wonder “why me”. I feel bad for the guy.

I’ve looked at so many horrrible games this team has played… this is the worst….. so far. They should be demoted into an A-league somewhere.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Springfield has only a few good pitchers. It’s not surprising with all of the walks given up, that more runs have been scored against.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Palm Beach sweeps a double header.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Springfield starting game 2 of a double header.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My player of the month would be Walker, if qualified, or if not, Tommy Jew. Perez had a veRy good month. My pitcher of the month would be Connor Thomas, but would take Dionys Rodriguez if he had more innings.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

LOL – Clint Coulter has 3 hits on the season for Memphis. Every single hit has been a homerun.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Quezada went from Florida state league in 2019 straight to 3 innings in MLB in 2020. 9th pro year, missed a year so got TJ probably. 160 or so innings above DOSL so far, 55 above low A. The last year he played, besides the 3 inning cuppa, was 2019 in A+. 52 innings all in relief, 1.490 WHIP, 4.8 BB/9.

A realistic assessment is that he didn’t actually pitch his way out of A ball. It would be useful maybe to see if he could compete at Springfield, but he is on the 40 man so I agree with Memphis. The bar is low right now, see what happens. I wish him well.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Thompson pitched 3 innings of relief for Memphis today and nearly blew the game, giving up three runs in the 9th.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thompson is getting pounded mercilessly. Surely they can find a roster filler guy to take the innings at Memphis and drop him down to regroup. He had 15 innings of pro ball in A level before this year and that was in 2019, what are they doing. It is very rough way to treat a first rounder.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Yeah, they need to demote him and let him regroup at lower levels.

dac8b9
    Participant

I read an interesting Keith Law article that made me think of Thompson and the year he was having. Law did a study looking at average time to the majors for top 20 picks of the draft over the past twenty years. Basically, the conclusion of the article was that if a college guy picked in the first twenty picks didn’t make it to the majors in about three years, the odds of him being a useful major league player go down dramatically. It just makes more sense to err on the side of being aggressive with college guys if you look at the numbers. Now he did say that doesn’t mean you should promote them before they are ready, but that if they aren’t ready in about three years they likely won’t be important anyway.

I should note, he was only looking at guys picked in the first twenty picks, so those are obviously more talented and polished players, particularly if they are college guys. This also doesn’t take into account how Covid basically stunted the development of a lot of guys in ways that we are still understanding. But I could see why the Cardinals were trying to be aggressive with him if that is what the stats say you should do with college guys picked in the first round.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think it would have been unreasonable to have started him in Springfield this year. Of all of the fiascos this organization has created this year the Thompson fiasco has to be nearly at the top of the list.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Quezada could be a useful arm in our pen. In a couple Spring Training outings he looked pretty good. I was also thought Jake Walsh would be a fast mover, and maybe make it to St Louis, but he has been injured since he was named pitcher of the month for May.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With a lot of brutal pitching in our minors I wonder if there could be room for releases and quicker promotions than usual? I know a lot pitchers drafted will only be used in relief, but if some enjoy success why not use them in relief at Palm Beach and Peoria? There are many release candidates hanging on to their roster spot by a thread. Patterson and Dayton are almost always used in blowouts.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d like to see Quezada given a chance when healthy. The Cards could use another reliable arm or 2 in the pen. This Garcia has a high octane fastball. I’m surprised to see him have the MLB record that he does. Does he not have a second pitch, a la Jason Motte?

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 328 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.