Affiliate observations 2019……

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations 2019……

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 222 total)
  • Author
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Being in a divisional race will likely cut down on the playing time and attention that the additions will get. Since Memphis won’t be making the play-offs I’d have to say we will be seeing Ponce-Cabrera-Gomber* Knizner-Ravelo-Sosa-Urias-Bader-O’Neill*-Leone-Williams-AGarcia. (* = if healthy).

Woodford is not on the 40-man roster.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

The Cardinals dont have a habit of adding that many Sept players. I dont think Gomber is called back even if healthy since there is no time to pitch his way back in to shape. I think Urias loses out in a numbers game. Rumor has Williams to the AFL so that counts him out. I think Ravelo is 50/50 if O’Neil, Bader and Garcia are all healthy. Even Garcia is not a 100% lock – dont forget that Jose Martinez should be back as well. Cabrera probably gets called up for lack of other options but if there is a 40 man spot available it might be Mayers or Shreve instead.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder who the September call ups will be? KNizner, Bader, O’Neill are locks. Leone probably. but Sosa and Garcia probably need an injury, or 2 to get a chance. I really would like to see Woodford, but unless they DFA Robinson, who is hurt, there is no 40 man spot open.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reminder that a player on the injured list must be healthy enough to be activated before being outrighted to the minors and the trade deadline is past. The only in-season alternative I can see is release. I wrote about this in detail last week for members. (Not coincidentally, the photo is of Robinson.)

St. Louis Cardinals 40-Man Roster Removal Candidates

14NyquisT
    Participant
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Justin Williams is 24 today. HB.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

If Williams can hit like he did in 2017 in AA, he would be a valuable prospect/player. Let’s hope he can keep up his current Memphis performance.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Williams was bad with Springfield but once he got healthy, has hit the ball well at Memphis. Just 22 games so far, though. He really needs to keep it up and finish strongly to work his way into the crowded StL OF picture. After slipping, he rebounded five spots in this month’s prospect rankings.

P.S. Over the last six weeks, pretty much anyone to set foot in the Memphis OF has killed the ball – Thomas, Arorarena, Garcia, Williams, Bader and Carlson…

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Memphis only had rebooted their pitching staff a month earlier. And been healthier. This team has me lately reminiscing their previous 2 PCL titles. They have went from cellar dwellars to a playoff changing. team. Not that they will make the playoffs, but I would say no team in league wants to play them now. And this has been done largely with hitting and bullpen. Other than PDL and occasionally Woodford, the starting pitching has only been so so.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You are correct. Memphis’ starting pitching has gotten worse in the second half. Relievers improved but the main factor is their scoring is up a whopping 1.3 runs per game.

In their defense, starting pitchers Reyes, Gomber, Meisinger and Shew remain out. A couple of them would probably be with St. Louis now if healthy, but then Memphis would still have two others – Helsley and Fernandez, for example.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Its a small sample but Carlson (6g 25-ABs 13-Hs 6-XBAs .520-BA OBP -.586 1.546-OPS) seems to want to prove that he will be done with AAA pitching in the next two weeks and ready for Busch in ’20.

What did the “experts” rank him among all prospects? There’s probably is too many prospects for them to be accurate.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I may have missed it but has been there been much discussion regarding Darlin Moquete of DSL Blue? His slash line is a ridiculous .390/.459/.571/1.030

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Moquete made his first appearance in the TCN top 50 this month.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Hey, since when has Nunez become a streaky hitter? July =.345…. Aug. =.203 ….. 2 for 26 in his last 9 games. He and several other Johnson City teammates are showing lousy numbers in August.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Cabrera was stunning lat night. His Game Score (8-5) was the highest for Memphis this season.

Manny Solano did the same for State College on the same night. His Game Score of 77 was the highest for the Spikes all season. He went 8.0 inn. in a 1-0 win.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Brandon Riley has kept himself in line for a shot at Palm Beach in ’20. The 14th rd. pick in ’18 has finally come alive in the last 9 games hitting at a .406 clip. The 22 y.o. hit .294 at Johnson City last season and skipped State College right up to Peoria based on that BA.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Johnson City has a huge game tonight at Kingsport. The division is jammed with the top four teams all within .5 games of each other. A win by the JC-Cards puts them in, a loss leaves them only a chance if they get help in two different games.

Puello should start and he pitched a dandy last time out.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

2 gcl guys to watch. Patrick Romeri has shown a gooď walk rate and significant power for an 18 year old (17 when the season started). .800 OPS.

Ramon Mendoza, also 18, has come on strong after a slow start. OPS near .850 now. A beast in the dsl last year as well. Middle IF.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would like to see Rondon getting a start in Memphis on Sunday. It should be where he is in 2020, if not the big club. Depending on acquisitions, and assuming he will get an NRI, he could have a chance to impress enough to win a roster spot. Although much more likely is him pitching at Memphis until the summer.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

A follow up note on Romeri. There is only one player younger than him on the GCL leader board in slugging %.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Candidate for Pitcher of the Month: PonceDeLeon(MEM) Game Score avg = 68.6 (5gms). He is posted for a start in St Louis in the Saturday double-header.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Parsons continues to be plagued by the gopher ball. He surrendered 2HRs (one a GS) last night back-to back and allowed Iowa to score 5 runs. He calmed down (1st AAA game) the rest of his 5.0 stint…. final 5-1.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Darn it…. Johnson City lost the first game of the best of three division title series on the road 5-4.
    I don’t want to get into what happened in the Bristol home eighth only to say that Walker Robbins pitched 0.2 inn. and surrendered 3 runs.

the next two games will be at home today(Justo) and tomorrow (HSoto).

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not a huge deal, but I see Wisdom hit 30 home runs at AAA this year. Strikeout rate remains high, but I still don’t see the fascination the FO had in Robinson. Just because you hit left handed and play more positions didn’t make up for striking out at a worse clip than Wisdom. And this is option year 2 for Wisdom.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wisdom was also removed from Texas’ 40-man roster (after posting a .377 OPS!) in MLB this season and went unclaimed, so his options don’t really matter. He hasn’t played well enough to hold down a spot. He will again be a free agent after the season and continue to be a AAAA power hitter most likely. Robinson is in a similar boat, albeit a different kind of player. Six of one, half dozen of the other in the big picture.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 222 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.