Affiliate observations 2019……

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations 2019……

Tagged: 

This topic contains 200 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Avatar PugsleyAddams 6 days, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 201 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, I don’t see any record of Nunez being hit by a pitch in the box score. It says he grounded out and was replaced defensively after the third out. Were you listening to the game or something?

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Roberts pitched his best pro game yesterday and got his 1st pro win in a 6-0 PB win. This coming in a somewhat disappointing season 5.57 ERA and in 53.1 innings 25 BBs and only 26 Ks.

Ramon Santos was part of the shut out. In his last 5 appearances he’s pitched 8.2 inn. and only 1 ER and 14 Ks.

This was PB-Cards 9th shut out this season… they’ve been shutout 17 times. The pitching staff is 11th in the league in Ks and 11th in being struck out. Charlotte is first in the FSL in stolen bases with 145… Palm Beach last with 22. Their record is 15-30 in the second half and their number to be eliminated is already just 6.

Palm Beach has been decimated by so many of their better players moving up to Springfield and then their replacements haven’t been able to get it done.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if Bader has ever considered a change in stance. Kind of thinking of a Matt Holiday approach closed stance. His number one problem is spin recognition. Maybe not as closed as Matt. Given Baders speed, t would be an interesting trial.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Where in the world did Martin Figueroa come from? After being drafted in 2017, he played very little in 2017, missed 2018 entirely, and is tearing it up at State College, Granted, it is a small sample size, he has 25 rbi’s in 23 games. Slugging .568. If he could have a good final month, he’s got to be in my top 50.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think we will see an uptick in our pitching quality and depth next season. Between a strongly tilted draft towards the mound dwellers, international pitchers coming stateside, and the development of current pitchers that were very green. With less injuries to pitching depth, perhaps next year we won’t have to force players to play a level or 2 above where they should.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Where in the world did Martin Figueroa come from? After being drafted in 2017, he played very little in 2017, missed 2018 entirely, and is tearing it up at State College, Granted, it is a small sample size, he has 25 rbi’s in 23 games. Slugging .568. If he could have a good final month, he’s got to be in my top 50.

The Astros released him after the 2017 season because they disbanded their Rookie-Advanced affiliate in the Appy League. He played in the Can-Am league in 2018 for Sussex County which is where the Cardinals snagged him before the 2019 season. Nice find for whoever the scout is that covers that area. He’s 23, though, so he needs to get cranking.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wrote about Figueroa when he was acquired. He had been a catcher, but played third in camps. Lately for State College, he has been playing second ahead of Donivan Williams for his bat. Figueroa is short and stocky – looks like a catcher. Maybe he progresses as a utiltyman, but right now, his position seems to be “hitter”. Not that it is all bad.

Cardinals Add Independent League Catcher

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Whitley and Rondon become the next players I’d like to see promoted. Rondon had a rough game tonight, but I think he will be in the mix for a Cardinals rotation spot by 2020.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Of course….

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Our buddy Ramon Urias is heating up with the weather for Memphis. .394 in his last 10 games and putting himself in the mix for Sept at Busch.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

I looked at the winning percentage of all 30 of the MLB teams. The Cards were at 44%…. and 30th place. So much for the organization wanting their players to play on winning teams. Going big into the International market has proven to be a poor strategy.

We’ll need to get our top prospects (Gorman-Montero-Carlson-Woodford ala Flaherty-DeJong-Wong) to the big club and have them stay there for some years. And that will take some pressure off of the farm system that seems to be drying up.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

B/R’s Updated Top 50 MLB Prospect Rankings at the Three-Quarter Mark
    JOEL REUTER
    AUGUST 14, 2019

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2849368-brs-updated-top-50-mlb-prospect-rankings-at-the-three-quarter-mark#slide0

There just can’t be 47 better prospects than Carlson.

Gorman #28.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wonder about that, too. I also question whether Gorman is 19 spots better than Carlson. Until Gorman can level out, I will still favor Carlson’s consistency. (Right now, Nolan is in the midst of a 3-for-19 with 10 strikeouts stretch after his recent two-homer game.)

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, they did mention that potential could trump results at certain levels. Gorman may be on that precipice. Anyway, Carlson has been more consistent, but is a year and a half older and only one level ahead of Gorman. Gorman also plays a more important position (at least if we are going by the position they are likely to play at the big league level) and both have gotten good reviews on their glove. Considering the important of HR power in today’s game, I don’t think it’s a stretch to like Gorman’s potential more. Carlson is probably the safer bet to be an above average player, while Gorman probably has a better chance to be a star.

I found it odd that they said he’s been overmatched at High A. I guess a 120 wRC+ is overmatched.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Perhaps Gorman’s 31.4% K rate and 5.1% BB rate caught their eye. I agree overmatched is too strong, but I find it interesting that Gorman’s numbers at high-A are similar to O’Neill’s at the level, when the latter was age 19/20.

(O’Neill was roughly a year older then, but at the same experience level, first full season. Gorman was younger than most when drafted, so better to look at time as a pro in comparisons with other high schoolers, IMO. From a skills/tools perspective, O’Neill is probably a better comp than Carlson, too, though Gorman at this point seems to have more upside than either.)

It will be interesting to see what Gorman does at Springfield next year, if that is the plan.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BA has Carlson ranked ahead of Gorman. So do we. MLB Pipeline and Fangraphs have Gorman ahead, so there is nowhere near a consensus.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Yepez has made it to AA. I’m very interested how he’ll produce there. He has been climbing up all season after a disappointing ’18. He is the guy we got for Matt Adams and the verdict is still out on this one.

August 15, 2019 1B Juan Yepez assigned to Springfield Cardinals from Palm Beach Cardinals.
    July 5, 2019 1B Juan Yepez assigned to Palm Beach Cardinals from Peoria Chiefs.
    June 3, 2019 1B Juan Yepez assigned to Peoria Chiefs from State College Spikes.
    April 3, 2019 1B Juan Yepez assigned to State College Spikes from Palm Beach Cardinals.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To be fair, Yepez was re-climbing to levels he lost before. Springfield is the first team this season he hadn’t played with prior. To have to spend the first two months in EST given his experience was not a good sign. Yepez will hit the Rule 5 list in December.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

I like to follow the younger guys that we have traded for always hoping that they work out and pay some dividends. Shoot me for trying to give the guy some credit.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, far be it from me to discourage you from being positive!

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Smooch.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder about Ramon Santos. He seemed to have some promise in recent seasons, and had a bad 2018. Now. his strikeout rate is way up. In fact, in his last 3 games he pitched 5 innings, retiring 14 by strikeout. Wow!!

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Paul Ivice mentioned Jeckyll/Hyde in his report on the GCL-Cards. But the real Jeckyll/Hyde is pitching in the Memphis bullpen. JCruz is back on top of his roller coaster season that saw him slip down in May and June then start to climb back up on the rail.

Check out these monthly stats that he has gone through:
    April- ERA 0.00—WHIP 0.60— OBA— .095
    May– ERA 12.75—WHIP 2.33— OBA— .306
    June- ERA 10.32—WHIP 2.03— OBA— .304
    July- ERA 4.09—WHIP 1.55— OBA— .243
    Aug— ERA 1.00—WHIP 1.33— OBA— .212

Whatever was bothering him during 5/6 to 6/26 has been corrected. Since 6/26 he only had one blip on 7/20 but he remains sharp again.

Alex Fagalde may have come back too soon from his IL stint from 7/16 to 7/27. Before being put on the IL he made 5 starts for Springfield and his Game Scores averaged = 66.6. Since returning he’s had another 5 starts and GS averaged 45.0.

I don’t remember if it was mentioned here but Brandon Donovan was the Midwest League’s Player of the month for July in which he hit .390.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Are there any reports, velocity wise, on the short season pitchers, or 2019 draftees? Any standouts? I know that some will be down a bit after a long college season. Also, Taveras and Pacheco appear to throw hard, but I have yet to see their velocities.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I believe they will add Woodford after Memphis’ season ends. He could be a valuable part of middle relief, or a bullpen game, if needed.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 201 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years