Affiliate observations 2019……

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations 2019……

Tagged: 

This topic contains 107 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 day, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just a quick peak at Springfield. 14 of their 40 losses to date were games where they were tied or ahead after 5 innings. Some really bad meltdowns by the pen.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Our full-season affiliates are having a tough time this season no doubt. One can point to the Memphis pitching staff leading their league in walks issued… Springfield is 2nd in giving up free passes…. and Peoria also leads their league in walks given up. What can you attribute that to? Younger pitchers playing at higher level?

And where has our speed gone to? Charlotte leads the Florida State league in stolen bases with 86…. Palm Beach is last with 16. Burlington leads the Midwest League with 102…. Peoria dead last with 36.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Andrew Warner is having a heck of a start at State College with 17 rbis in 7 games, including 7 today. Looks like there will be Cardinal players named Warner named best weekly performer in back to back weeks.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t remember this much activity with our affiliates rosters. The Palm Beach roster was overhauled and is still two players short. Some movement on the Peoria roster as they are in their all-star break. With Sate College just getting started and went through that grueling susp game/ reg game double-header yesterday its been a lot of time getting things organized for me. I hope that there are people employed by the organization following all of the movements. Some heads must be spinning, including the travel people.

The Fagalde saga continues. Geez, the guy is incredible. Doing what he did last night in his first AA game is going to get some attention. The cat may be out of the bag. Reminiscent of Mike O’Reilly’s climb. If Fagalde is successful for Springfield could Memphis be not that far off? The injuries for the Redbirds has given some younger guys a taste of AAA ball… though some not working out that well.

As some will remember I was pushing An Warner in the community poll and was carrying on my next 5 for some time. He might be more age-appropriate at SS-A so we’ll have to see if he can make it up to Peoria before season’s end. The guy can surely hit.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Player placement is puzzling. When Vuch was Farm director they made sense.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Last I checked, there were 28 players on the IL, including a dozen at Memphis alone. That is over one full team. I did not go back to verify, but that is among the most I can ever recall at once. Backfilling for that requires a lot of sub-optimal player moves.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting that they chose 3 19 year old infielders as replacements for Palm Beach. I an assuming this is mostly out of convenience, since they are not far away from where they will play for the GCL Cards. It is good experience for them. Perhaps it will boost their confidence in the long run. Maybe they will key on infielders signings in the international market, as they virtually ignored that position in the draft.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BW… I wrote about this situation on 6/17 9:30 am. Maybe you missed it but thanks for confirming what kind of problems that the system is experiencing.

I doubt that anyone could have seen this coming…. the troubles that the affiliates are having are worse than I can remember, top to bottom it is almost surreal and certainly mystifying.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yesterday Brian Walton did a fair and honest appraisal of our full-season affiliates. If you are a member its a must read.

I’ve noticed that the clubs all have had troubles recently:
    MEMPHIS…. since 5/16… 8-26
    SPRINGFIELD… since 5/15… 12-23
    PALM BEACH…. since 5/28…. 5-13
    PEORIA…. since 5-9…. 16-24

Of course Ws and Ls aren’t the priority here but rather progress of our most talented prospects. To be able to rely on the farm system there needs to be 2 or 3, maybe 4 of the top minor league performers to become MLB-ready per season with at least mild success. Ala Knizner-Edman-Ponce this season.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thank you for the compliment about the first half report card. I put a lot of work into it.

Creating a winning environment is also important and is something the Cards have been good at – until last year, when cracks started showing. The losing has expanded and increased in 2019. It is more of an overall talent level issue, IMO, as there are always going to be a handful of top prospects.

When doing my top 50 in recent months, I felt like there is a drop off between the top 10 or so and the next group, FWIW.

Ponce de Leon is an interesting case. He pitches better with St. Louis than with Memphis. As I noted in the article yesterday about him being sent down, the last Triple-A start he made that was as good as with StL this week (at least six scoreless innings) was almost a year ago – in July 2018.

Knizner has been in a tailspin since being sent back down. His current .763 OPS is ok, but a career low. Still no power to speak of. But overall, he remains a good prospect, of course.

We will have to see how Edman plays once he is returned to Memphis, but overall his stock continues to rise.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Prospects face different situations. Some advance because of injury… some are blocked… some are traded. I won’t call it luck or bad luck, it leans more towards fate.

Another interesting guy is Edman. He jumped to the head of the class and he seems to hit wherever he goes. Most don’t consider Ravelo a prospect because of his age. There’s a chance he will get some ABs at Busch in ’19… he was a one man wrecking crew at Memphis and has moved up the depth chart. Being able to play the OF could help his status.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As I noted in one of my articles, shortly after he is sent down, Ravelo will use up his last option year. Unless he pushes his way onto the St. Louis roster for good (and he isn’t likely going to get enough at-bats to earn that), he will probably be elsewhere in 2020. Nothing to do with his talent and everything to do with players’ rights for free agency. That option reality was at least as important as his age when I assessed his value as a prospect and decided not to rank him. If he was 22 with no past, it would be a different story.

P.S. This touches on an important consideration in ranking that some may not fully appreciate. The age can be much less important than the years remaining before Rule 5 eligibility, then free agency. Even if a player seems to be loaded with potential, if he is still at Johnson City, for example, after three or four years in the system, he is probably going to run out of time.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It would be ironic if Ravelo became an All-Star with another team in ’20. 🙂

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fernandez and Escobar at the top of my list for earning promotions. Aker seems to have transitioned well to the bullpen. He just needs to throw more strikes.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here is a name that has not been called. Angel Cuenca. He is 17 years old, 6 foot 1, 160 pounds. Has not given up a run in 4 starts for the DSL Red team. Very projectable frame, and already having success. Some of our fine posters have touted Jiminez, Nunez, etc. and rightfully so. I am jumping on the Cuenca train.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Just curious 27, what in 6’1 says highly projectable frame?

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Based on production this season, Burgos is beating up on the red league pitchers. BA = .403 (last 8 = .485)
    27 for 67 5 doubles 4 HR 26 rbi and swiped 3 out of 4 bases. Relative to the league: 1st in rbi 2nd in HRs & total bases & OBP & SLG & OPS…. 3rd in AVR.

Last season in DSL = 44 for 210 = .210.

You may want to get a ticket for this guy’s train.

flood21
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Don’t know if this has already been posted elsewhere on this site but I was surprised to see that Blake Drake is now listed as a pitcher on the Gulf Coast roster.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Burgos 0-8 since the Nyquis shoutout 🙂

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is a list of our top 10 prospects from the winter of ’16. Approximately 30 months ago.

Reyes- hasn’t pitched much at all since.
    Weaver- traded
    Perez- adequate player at low-A level
    Kelly- gone
    Bader- struggling for playing time because of weak offense.
    Hudson- making his way into a rotation fixture for STL
    Flaherty- sprinkling of greatness mixed in with bad starts.
    Alcantara- traded
    Gomber- some success but now on the IL with no date to return
    Sierra- traded

This is our present top 10 (5/19)

Gorman
    Montero
    Carlson
    Knizner
    Helsley
    Thomas
    Nunez
    Woodford
    Cabrera
    Edman

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry I didn’t see CC’s response to my gushing over Cuenca. Maybe highly projectable is a tad much, but at 17 years old, a 6 foot 1 frame with only 160 pounds on it seems a lot of room to grow into a possibly 6 foot 3, 210 pound man. Plus his results are off the chart this early. Maybe he can earn himself a stateside ticket before the end of the year.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is amazing that there are so few relief pitchers with success stories this season in our minors. Minus the short season ballers, the only standouts to me are Escobar, Sisk, and Fernandez. I was hoping Fernandez would added to the man roster, but now that Mayers is working his way back, the spot created by Hicks’ going to 60 day DL will likely go to Mayers. However, with the way Edman has played, Robinson or Urias’ spot are now in question.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I would add Whitley and Dobzanski to that relievers list.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 108 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years