Affiliate observations 2019……

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations 2019……

Tagged: 

This topic contains 207 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Cardinals27 1 day, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 208 total)
  • Author
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Okay here we go. The Johnson City Cards will play a third and deciding game today after beating Bristol 7-4 behind Francisco Justo. A win today will propel JC into a Championship series.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Rayder Ascanio has put up a .799 OPS the second half of this season. With his well above average glove he would probably only need to be a .650 OPS big league hitter to be a major league bench player. Pretty sure he is a minor league FA but given the lack of true SS’s in the organization I would love to see the Cards sign him to come back as a minor league free agent and see if he has actually figured something out at the plate.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Mountain Birds move on after an exciting 7-5 win over Bristol. Due to the STORM game one of the championship series has been moved up and will start today. Puello will likely get the start and when he’s on he is on. Burlington upset Pulaski and that’s the competition for all the marbles.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good choice on having Soto pitch for JC. First 4 innings, 2 hits allowed, 2 walks, 6 K’s. I will hopefully see him pitch for Peoria next season. JC up 5-0.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who all has officially graduated from the prospect rankings now?

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am looking for some input on our 2019 draft picks so I can assess where to place them in our prospect rankings. I don’t feel I have a good enough grasp on what their potential could be. Especially with so many pitchers.

Also, I am looking for someone to try and persuade me why Montero and Nunez should be ranked so high.

Anybody care to comment?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A common thread between Nunez and MOntero (And TOrres for that matter.) is aggressive placement. the organization views them highly. Nunez did not fare well at Peoria, and the same for Montero at Springfield. Also, Montero had injuries which affected his hitting. Nunez played well when sent to JOhnson City, and Montero will play in the AFL. I see no evidence to dampen my enthusiasm for these prospects, so I think they should hold the same rankings as last year until the 2020 minor league season starts. It will be interesting to see Montero play in the AFL.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is disappointing that no one from the short season clubs made post all star teams. However there was at least 1 player I think should have. Chandler Redmond. He ranks very strongly offensively in the Appalachian League. Tied for 3rd in home runs, 7th in rbi’s, OBP 7th, SLG 3rd, OPS 3rd. The only negatives was his strikeout rate. And maybe him playing 3 positions (1st, 2nd 3rd) hurt him. I assume he might have played more 3rd, but Nunez surely had priority there.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another interesting name, although old for Class A is Ramon Santos. In his last 10 games he pitched 14 innings and struck out 30. Not sure if he discovered a new pitch or, picked up velocity or both. He should be at Springfield next year, and if he could keep anything close to that up would have a shot Memphis also.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Peoria/Palm Beach will have a lot of choices for starting pitchers in 2020:

Seijas
    Cordero
    Dellavalle
    Edgar Gonzalez
    Roberts
    Leahy
    Thompson
    Walsh
    Roach
    Gingery
    Solano
    Soto
    Locey
    Pallante
    Thomas
    Gragg
    Ralston
    Lunn
    Yasenka

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thompson-Roberts-Gingery-Pallante-Locey and a couple of guys named Roach and YaSenka shout out to me. A Walsh comeback would be nice… though I haven’t heard to much about his condition. Seijas (21 in Oct.) is still very young but he needs to step it up in ’20. Solano was fairly consistent at SC.

HSoto was impressive down the stretch at JC. Sommers and Puello should be in that mix. Yep, the field will be competitive.

Sadly there isn’t much help from GCL-Cards.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think that Peoria will be fun to watch. Nunez and Torres will surely return, with hopefully more success. I’ll predict Peoria and Memphis make the playoffs again.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

From FanGraphs 1-31-17. FYI

Cardinals Top Prospects
    Rk Name Age Highest Level Position ETA FV
    1 Alex Reyes 22 MLB RHP 2017 65
    2 Delvin Perez 18 R SS 2021 55
    3 Sandy Alcantara 21 A+ RHP 2018 55
    4 Carson Kelly 22 MLB C 2017 50
    5 Luke Weaver 23 MLB RHP 2017 50
    6 Jack Flaherty 21 A+ RHP 2018 50
    7 Dakota Hudson 22 A+ RHP 2019 50
    8 Eliezer Alvarez 22 A 2B 2019 45
    9 Magneuris Sierra 20 A OF 2020 45
    10 Edmundo Sosa 20 A+ SS 2019 45
    11 Harrison Bader 22 AAA OF 2017 45
    12 Junior Fernandez 19 A+ RHP 2018 45
    13 Paul DeJong 23 AA 2B 2017 45
    14 Jordan Hicks 20 A- RHP 2020 40
    15 Austin Gomber 23 AA LHP 2018 40
    16 Randy Arozarena 21 AAA UTIL 2018 40
    17 Marcos Gonzalez 24 MLB LHP 2017 40
    18 Jake Woodford 20 A RHP 2020 40
    19 Nick Plummer 20 R OF 2021 40
    20 Dylan Carlson 18 R OF 2020 40
    21 Andrew Morales 24 AA RHP 2018 40
    22 Connor Jones 22 A- RHP 2019 40
    23 Zac Gallen 21 R RHP 2019 40
    24 John Gant 24 MLB RHP 2017 40
    65 FV Prospec

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not sure of the points you are trying to make by posting that, but at least they had Flaherty in their top 10. Here is BA’s Cards top 20 prior to the 2017 season. Derrick Goold tried to defend BA putting him 11th…

1 Alex Reyes
    2 Luke Weaver
    3 Delvin Perez
    4 Carson Kelly
    5 Magneuris Sierra
    6 Sandy Alcantara
    7 Harrison Bader
    8 Edmundo Sosa
    9 Dakota Hudson
    10 Eliezer Alvarez
    11 Jack Flaherty
    12 Randy Arozarena
    13 Marco Gonzales
    14 Paul DeJong
    15 Austin Gomber
    16 Dylan Carlson
    17 Jake Woodford
    18 Connor Jones
    19 Jonathan Machado
    20 Alvaro Seijas

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Didn’t Good actually do the rankings for BA in 2017? I feel like that was why he was so defensive about it.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If my memory serves me correctly, the writers submitted the rankings, but BA reserved the right to do final tweaking, which makes sense since their name goes on it.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Very interesting article about the youth and results of our minor leaguers. But I do have one question about the DSL teams. Why did they not move up Cuenca and Rodriguez to the Blue team, since they appear to be higher on the pecking order. Or even start them on the Blue team. Maybe they win the division with better pitching?

Either way, both would appear to be likely to play stateside next year.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My guess is they wanted balance across the two DSL rosters instead of an A and B team.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The ’17 FanGraphs poll reveals that only 2 of the top-10 selections remain eligible prospects (Sosa & DPerez). Flaherty and Hudson are regulars on the Cardinals. Sosa 40-man addition… and the #1 is still waiting to prove that he is the guy that we thought he would be. Half of the top-10 were used as trade chips and DPerez is still struggling to show our fans that his being a #1 draft pick was more than a gamble.

Looking at our present fan poll, I wonder where the top-10 will wind up just two years from now. Their objective now is to play in Busch as solid MLBers. We’ll check back in the Autumn of 2021 to see who reached their target. Expectations become very iffy, but I find the results very interesting.

ps. the ETAs were pretty darn accurate.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

That fangraphs ranking is pretty amazing. Only 3 true misses in Plummer, Morales (injuries) and Alvarez (and who knows what he would have done with normal development). It is also a real credit to the Cardinal system to have so many players who have or still could become solid major leaguers.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here are Central Division BA 2017 top 30 who have played in the majors:
    (I may be a few under for those players that had a cup of coffee, as this according to my memory)

Chicago – 9
    Cincinatti- 7
    Milwaukee- 4
    Pittsurgh- 15
    St Louis- 17, with Carlson and Woodford likely to join MLB ranks next season, and Jones, Oviedo, and Seijas possibly some time after that. IMO, St Louis has more top 30 with more impact as of now.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Any news on DErian Gonzalez? I was impressed with his stuff up until he was injured in mid 2018.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gonzalez will be Rule 5 eligible, so I don’t imagine we will be hearing much about him any time soon, unless the news is bad.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Shortstop Kevin Vargas was released and pitchers Shreve and Rosscup filed for free agency.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I miss reading Uncle Denny posts…a Cards forum HOFer.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years