Affiliate observations 2019……

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations 2019……

Tagged: 

This topic contains 186 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Cardinals27 4 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 176 through 187 (of 187 total)
  • Author
    14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Okay here we go. The Johnson City Cards will play a third and deciding game today after beating Bristol 7-4 behind Francisco Justo. A win today will propel JC into a Championship series.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Rayder Ascanio has put up a .799 OPS the second half of this season. With his well above average glove he would probably only need to be a .650 OPS big league hitter to be a major league bench player. Pretty sure he is a minor league FA but given the lack of true SS’s in the organization I would love to see the Cards sign him to come back as a minor league free agent and see if he has actually figured something out at the plate.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

The Mountain Birds move on after an exciting 7-5 win over Bristol. Due to the STORM game one of the championship series has been moved up and will start today. Puello will likely get the start and when he’s on he is on. Burlington upset Pulaski and that’s the competition for all the marbles.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good choice on having Soto pitch for JC. First 4 innings, 2 hits allowed, 2 walks, 6 K’s. I will hopefully see him pitch for Peoria next season. JC up 5-0.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who all has officially graduated from the prospect rankings now?

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am looking for some input on our 2019 draft picks so I can assess where to place them in our prospect rankings. I don’t feel I have a good enough grasp on what their potential could be. Especially with so many pitchers.

Also, I am looking for someone to try and persuade me why Montero and Nunez should be ranked so high.

Anybody care to comment?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A common thread between Nunez and MOntero (And TOrres for that matter.) is aggressive placement. the organization views them highly. Nunez did not fare well at Peoria, and the same for Montero at Springfield. Also, Montero had injuries which affected his hitting. Nunez played well when sent to JOhnson City, and Montero will play in the AFL. I see no evidence to dampen my enthusiasm for these prospects, so I think they should hold the same rankings as last year until the 2020 minor league season starts. It will be interesting to see Montero play in the AFL.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is disappointing that no one from the short season clubs made post all star teams. However there was at least 1 player I think should have. Chandler Redmond. He ranks very strongly offensively in the Appalachian League. Tied for 3rd in home runs, 7th in rbi’s, OBP 7th, SLG 3rd, OPS 3rd. The only negatives was his strikeout rate. And maybe him playing 3 positions (1st, 2nd 3rd) hurt him. I assume he might have played more 3rd, but Nunez surely had priority there.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another interesting name, although old for Class A is Ramon Santos. In his last 10 games he pitched 14 innings and struck out 30. Not sure if he discovered a new pitch or, picked up velocity or both. He should be at Springfield next year, and if he could keep anything close to that up would have a shot Memphis also.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Peoria/Palm Beach will have a lot of choices for starting pitchers in 2020:

Seijas
    Cordero
    Dellavalle
    Edgar Gonzalez
    Roberts
    Leahy
    Thompson
    Walsh
    Roach
    Gingery
    Solano
    Soto
    Locey
    Pallante
    Thomas
    Gragg
    Ralston
    Lunn
    Yasenka

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Thompson-Roberts-Gingery-Pallante-Locey and a couple of guys named Roach and YaSenka shout out to me. A Walsh comeback would be nice… though I haven’t heard to much about his condition. Seijas (21 in Oct.) is still very young but he needs to step it up in ’20. Solano was fairly consistent at SC.

HSoto was impressive down the stretch at JC. Sommers and Puello should be in that mix. Yep, the field will be competitive.

Sadly there isn’t much help from GCL-Cards.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think that Peoria will be fun to watch. Nunez and Torres will surely return, with hopefully more success. I’ll predict Peoria and Memphis make the playoffs again.

Viewing 12 posts - 176 through 187 (of 187 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years