Affiliate observations 2019……

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations 2019……

Tagged: 

Viewing 22 posts - 201 through 222 (of 222 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Indeed, Nigel. We used to have another esteemed Uncle, who also was a dandy…..the incomparable Uncle Buck.

UncleDenny
    Participant

The Cardinals have released Samuel, Kreuter, Gahagan, Purcell, Knight, and Flores.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While doing the top 75 prospects, and watching others picks and pans, it seems our overall talent is down. Granted, some talent graduated, and higher levels still seem have plenty of depth, with middle infielders being the weakest group of our top tier talent. I think our reliever prospect depth has increased, with starting pitchers having stayed the same as the year prior. I think the 2019 draft, coupled with some DSL youngsters being brought stateside, helped the lower level pitching depth. My biggest concern is our lower level hitting depth. A lot of our top prospects in AA and below struggled. Hopefully another years experience will help, as many youngsters are teenagers. Or perhaps trades will add to our flock.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Goold in his latest chat declares somewhat definitely that Montero will open the season at AAA and Gorman at AA. He doesn’t site even unnamed sources so it is unclear whether he some insider info or this is pure speculation on his part.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am usually on board for aggressive promotions, but I think Gorman, Montero, and Herrera for example, should start where they ended their seasons in 2019. They all have something more to prove at those levels. Plus playing time could be an issue. It would be prudent to give as many reps at their defensive positions as possible.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Peoria will be an interesting team. Nunez and Torres will likely start there, and hopefully do much better than their 2019 stints. I believe their pitching will be much improved, but then again, it can’t be much worse. Between Palm Beach and Peoria there should many starting candidates, as many some relievers from the pitching heavy 2019 draft will be shifted to the starting rotation in 2020. So much so, that a piggyback rotation may be needed.
    Another interesting roster battle should be at catcher where Pages, Soto should split time, with Duce and ANtonini being possible prospects.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

There are a ton of interesting outfielders fighting for a spot in Peoria: Fuller, Torres, Del Los Santos (Joerlin?), Reichenborn, Fletcher, Romeri, and others such as Burgos.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes, there will be many good roster battles next year for Peoria. Reichenborn in his small sample size looks like an interesting player. Surprised he wasn’t drafted. He did finish his season at Palm Beach, but I hope he starts 2020 by patrolling center in Peoria, alongside Torres in right field.

Here’s my guess at a lineup and starting rotation:

LF- Fuller
    CF- Reichenborn
    3B- Nunez
    RF- Torres
    2B- Redmond
    C- Pages/Soto
    1B- Lott
    SS- Gil

Starting rotation candidates:
    Yasenka, Lunn, Locey, Thomas, Palante, Ralston, Soto, Solano, Puello, Justo, Sommers, Mardueno, Schlesener

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think one of Brian best articles is on who and can be protected from the minor league phase and placed on the Memphis roster. Was it 36 or 38 players? I took a look at the Memphis, Springfield, and Palm B each rosters, and it seems like if you leave Denton, Plummer, and Herget on the Springfield roster, and keep those at Springfield that are not eligible, few names jump out that would be missed if claimed.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Isn’t there a slick-fielding second baseman named Mendoza who might break through?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Ramon Mendoza hit well in the the DSL and GCL the last two years. I dont know about his glove. But he is several years away from needing protected.

Evan Mendoza is a slick fielding 3B but as far as I know hasn’t played much 2B (though I am not sure why as I have heard he is also more than competent at short). He has played as high as AAA I believe but also doesn’t yet need protecting.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I was referring to adding Ramon to the list of interesting prospects at Peoria.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

David Vinsky, Tommy Jew, Wayde Infants, and Andrew Warner add intrigue to that outfield mix. Am I to understand that all but five of these guys would simply get released under the new plan? Brilliant

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

By the way, Evan Mendoza is a better version of Yairo Munoz if he gets back healthy.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

If Evan Mendoza is more than competent at SS, why isn’t he playing there? If he can become a really good fielding SS, he is most valuable there.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was thinking that Elis would be placed on the Springfield roster, but his pitching in the Winter league has been very impressive. I think I will reverse course on that thought.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Any news on injured pitchers Derian Gonzales and Andrew Morales? Memphis ought to have a crowded bullpen. I guess news might come out after the Rule 5 draft.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is funny how an outfield logjam can suddenly change. Hurst, Capel, and Toerner have to love the 3 outfielders ahead of them being traded. One, or all could see some time in Memphis in 2020.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hurst needs to work his way back to Springfield first. His 2019 was a huge disappointment. Each drafted a year later, Toerner and Nootbaar blew right past.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nootbaar is a possible breakout candidate for 2020. Big left-handed hitter, who is very disciplined. He said last summer he was going to focus on launch angle this offseason to generate more power next season. Something to watch this coming season.

Christopher Jeske
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nootbaar is a possible breakout candidate for 2020. Big left-handed hitter, who is very disciplined. He said last summer he was going to focus on launch angle this offseason to generate more power next season. Something to watch this coming season.

This is music to my ears. I’ve been trying to create a very loose framework based on the old KATOH system at FanGraphs to look at the Cardinals’ prospects. Nootbar rates incredibly well by this measure. He rated well (2nd best of batters at Peoria, Palm Beach, and Springfield). He was just behind Ivan Herrera (and ahead of Nolan Gorman) at Peoria and Palm Beach, and behind Dylan Carlson at Springfield.

Nootbars’ strong rating was driven largely by a ridiculously low K% compared to league average at Peoria and Palm Beach. At Springfield, it was largely driven by him being younger than most of the competition he faced.

Hopefully he can maintain the low k% with an increase in iso… basically what he was doing in Peoria with a GB% closer to 40% than 50%.

Christopher Jeske
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Buried beneath all the headlines today was a “prospect and farm system survey” on mlb.com https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/news/prospect-and-farm-system-survey

The biggest surprise was Justin Williams garnering a vote for the most underrated prospect in baseball.

Here’s the methodology: “We sent a survey to general managers, scouting directors and executives across all 30 teams asking them to weigh in anonymously on a series of questions about prospects, top tools and farm systems.”

Viewing 22 posts - 201 through 222 (of 222 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.