Affiliate observations 2019……

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations 2019……

Tagged: 

This topic contains 186 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Cardinals27 6 hours, 27 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 187 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

sounds about right

though i feel like Junior Fernandez would have been a fun darkhorse

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I had Whalen as my most improved from 2018 to 2019, until his recent struggles, now it is Fernandez. I hope I can catch him on MILBTV.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I caught Fernandez on the Memphis broadcast a couple of nights ago. Went something over 3.1 innings in a 10-4 loss. Was suprised to see him go that long. Was very effective. 2 hits 0 runs and 5k’s. Could have been useful when the bullpen game up 8 runs in the last 2 innings 17 a 17-11 loss. Some of Johnson’s decisions I don’t understand.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fernandez would be a fair (and similar) replacement for Hicks.

Escobar gets a long overdue promotion. Aker has been much more effective as a reliever, 3.31 era, no homers allowed, and an increased K rate. Still walks too many though.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

SO far, this has been one of the more disappointing minor league seasons, prospect wise, with a lot of injuries and prospects nearer their floor than the ceiling of their talent. But in 2 months, things can, and will change.
    I believe the 2019 draft will help, but we won’t see much until 2020.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Randy Arozarena is hitting .370 for Memphis after a solid start at Springfield. He seems to finally be getting the traction that everyone hoped for when he signed for a big bonus a few years back.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is a nice start for Arozarena this time with Memphis, but still just 18 games. He’s had hot streaks before, only to go ice cold, but if he can keep this up, then yes, he vaults ahead of a number of others. As noted, he is one of the limited number of the players at the upper levels whose stock is rising.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rondons time with Palm Beach should be over. IMpressive night.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For those who do not subscribe, a reminder of just some of what you are missing…

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is a nice start for Arozarena this time with Memphis, but still just 18 games. He’s had hot streaks before, only to go ice cold, but if he can keep this up, then yes, he vaults ahead of a number of others. As noted, he is one of the limited number of the players at the upper levels whose stock is rising.`

Hadn’t that been the general trend for Randy though? He seems to struggle at every level he rises, then get traction and take off. That was my prediction before the year and it seems to be on. He could regress of course but maybe he’s close to reaching the majors and playing some role.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

In the WTF file is Peoria looses a game to Burlington in 4.5 innings.

Burlington 1-0-0-1-1–3
    Peoria………0-1-0-1-X–2

I know that The Chiefs don’t play Burlington again this season but c’mon they score a run in the fifth to go ahead and we don’t even get to bat. Be fair now, that’s BS.

C Matt Duce is sharing time for State College (SS-A) with CSoto and ’19 6th rd. pick Pedro Pages. Yesterday Duce had two throwing Es and two PBs but went 2-4 to raise his BA to .452 (14-31). Soto started at 1B for the second game in a row and he is batting .320. We’ll see Soto he winds up playing first regularly. He is 6’2″ so he fits into that position well enough.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Nyquis – not sure where your info came from but the box score and game log @ milb.vom show Peoria batted in the bottom of the 5th.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Redmond would be a welcome bat for Peoria.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Under the strange occurrences:

Fernandez pitch the 3rd, 4th and 5tn innings. Seems a misuse of probably your best pitcher.
    GCL Cards give up 8 unearned runs.

On a positive side:
    Thompson and Loce pitch scoreless innings prior to the GCL defensive debacle.
    Is Diowill Burgos the next Nunez? Leads the DSL in rbis, and cracked his 7th homer.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In the game in question, Fernandez (a former starter) threw 50 pitches. In other games this season (on two other teams), he threw 47, 44. 41, 40 and 38 pitches. That is more important for comparison than number of outs.

After the 50-pitch outing, he was given three days off, and on the fourth day, threw just 18 pitches.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just don’t understand using Fernandez when you’re losing. And as I recall, several were blowouts. Unless the FO is thinking of using him as a starter again, his best use would be in the late innings to hold leads. Especially the Memphis pen, which has been horrific.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another name I am keeping an eye on is Leonardo Taveras. He has shown great improvement so far at State College. Pretty brief time there, but intriguing for a 20 year old, 6 foot 5, 190 pounder.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sadly, Memphis is losing most days this season. Seriously, when your starter gives you just six outs, you need innings. And maybe they wanted Fernandez to make his Triple-A debut in a lower pressure situation. So far, he only pitched in two games with Memphis – not nearly enough for there to be any pattern.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The same pattern was established at Springfield. Curious uses. I tried to watch him pitch tonight, but good old MILBTV was its’ inconsistent self.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

JTorres 3-4 yesterday. +R 3RBIs (.278) for Johnson City Mountain Birds.

State College can’t sort out a consistent rotation. It looks like some sort of experiment…. 18 games… 12 different starters. Only Solano and Schlesener have started 3 games so far.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Any Gingery sightings? I am guessing he is on the GCL roster? Concerned he will miss the whole year.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gingery was mentioned in Monday’s GCL Notebook, but not much details to share yet.

Gulf Coast League Cardinals Notebook – 2019 Week 1

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With the promotion of Escobar, and other relievers wild and green, Peoria seemed to be closerless, but not now with the addition of Locey.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 187 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years