Affiliate observations 2019……

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations 2019……

This topic contains 41 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 14NyquisT 1 day, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

4 combined affiliates ERA 2019=3.76
    2018=3.87

4 combined affiliates BA 2019=.250
    2018=.262

To date pitching is better and hitting is worse and I thought it would be just the opposite.

I’ve noticed that in general there is a downward trend in the offense generated by the farm system. Less hitters with higher BAs and less individual multi-hit games.

As far as pitching is concerned, we’ve had way better performances than expected by a number of our starters. Its the bullpens that aren’t getting it done.

These are observations in general from following the system on a daily basis. I knew the offense was lagging and just wanted to confirm that. .260 (2018) as opposed to .252 (2019) is significant.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman is making Gyorko more and more expendable.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is too bad those comparative numbers cannot be narrowed to the true prospects, as they currently represent the averages of 60 or so players in each group. As is, for example, we don’t know if the top hitters are better, but the lower-ranked hitters are even more down – or if they all declined at a comparable rate year to year. Same in reverse for the pitchers.

Also, did you happen to calculate OPS along with BA, by chance?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not exactly apples and apples, but for another reason, I checked Springfield’s offense relative to the Texas League. The offense is sixth in batting average and seventh in OBP, but third in slugging and fourth in runs scored and OPS.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wanted to do all four teams as one figure because the players from the end of last season have scattered about. I’m seeing less effectiveness this season in comparison to ’18 and its fairly evident just looking at the box scores. Granted there are some players doing very well but it seems not as many as in the past. IMO disappointments are outnumbering prospect that are progressing. We’ll see if they can step it up in the remainder of ’19.

Maybe the shorts will turn the system’s “excitability” around. I can’t wait for the upcoming draft.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rondon has been fabulous this season. After dominating the Florida State League he got the call from Springfield. After having some trouble in his first game up, he turns it around with the best pitched game for the S-Cards this season. (he didn’t realize that the Springfield team has found every way to lose games). Anyway, I love to see guys move up the ladder and find success. This is why I’m becoming a Rondon fan. IMO, he is a strong candidate for pitcher of the month. His one more start in May will be decisive.

This is his 21 year old season. The 6’2″ righty is still learning and advanced from #35 (TCN) in April to #26 in May.

Is Reyes going to be the starting pitcher the Cards are seeking as soon as he fully recovers? If so, that hand to wall incident looks even more foolish than originally figured. We’ve had to wait for him to show his full MLB potential like forever. He could make the wait worth it.

I’d give Nunez some more time to continue on with Peoria when the short season teams start up. Torres looks like he may need time at let’s say State College, Johnson City or GCL to get his bat going. He’ll get more attention coaching-wise at GCL. We’ll see.

Fagalde has two more starts in May to be considered for pitcher of the month. He continues to be consistent with his superior outings.

Hiting-wise who has had the best month in the organization?

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I believe tha Nunez will stick at Peoria. I watch almost all of the Peoria games on the net and he seems to done a nice job of adjusting. He is making a lot of contact but mostly on the ground or line drives. I expect the power to come as he hits some really hard balls. He still chases the low outside soft stuff at times but not too often.

Torres has still not made the adjustment to make more contact. He seems to have a pretty good eye at the plate but is not making solid contact. If they don’t send him back to EST he will have another 3-4 weeks to adjust.

Gorman making progress at making contact but probably by sacrificing a little power. That is not a concern to me. The young man seems to be very good at making adjustments. You can see opposing pitchers beginning to pitch around him a bit. A good sign.

Herrera may be the most advanced of the young prospects. Really solid on D and at the plate. Quite impressive and in the long run may be that Molina replacement. Knizner will probably be a good major league hitter but possibly at another position.

Perez seems to have emerged as a leadoff hitter. Still no power but is makiing quite a bit of sharp contact.

Lot of fun watching Peoria these days.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another interesting guy at Peoria is right handed pitcher Sebastian Tabata. 6-5, 210

Had a dominating year at the DCL in his first pro season. 24.2 innings 1.09 ERA 0.77 WHIP 10 BB, 36 K’s.

Came from EST directly to Peoria. A couple of rough outings but looks to have a good arm. Wonder where he has been. Age 21

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatar SoonerinNC.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

International players who aren’t signed at 16 generally have a hard time getting contracts. I’ve noticed in recent years that the Cardinals seem more willing to give a shot to some of these players who may have been overlooked the first time.

Tabata was three months short of his 20th birthday when signed. A player like that has to move fast to have a decent chance.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Torres has four hits in his last two games. Enough said.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tabata and Pacheco both seem to have live arms, but lack control. Age 21 seasons at Palm Beach next year would keep them on track age wise.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goold with a nice write up of Carlson.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Palm Beach keeps finding ways to win. A tip of the cap to manager Dann Bilardello, he has his team at 31-18 and 3.0 games up in the FSL south.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Despite a number of promotions out, Palm Beach remains the only bright spot among the five Cardinals teams currently playing. The pitching has been great and offense good enough, despite the biggest names being assigned a level above and a level below.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice Derek Shore article about Fernandez. He seems to be reaching his potential. Escobar and Fernandez seem to be our only relievers with some helium. Most others so far seem inconsistent. Perhaps you can include Dayton as well.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Probably a good thing for Nunez and Torres, they ought to feel above the competition at Johnson City and have improved confidence. And their season at Peoria may not be over if they do well.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought both Nunez and Torres were adjusting to the Peoria level but it certainly doesn’t hurt to back them off. The good news is that if they stay on the Johnson City roster I will have 6 opportunities to see them in action when they play nearby.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, in his last 10 days, Torres raised his BA from .051 to .167. So there’s that.

Nunez got as high as .229 but had dropped to .183 when demoted. Neither hit a home run in a total of 137 at-bats.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Since we are at draft time the following dates are when the other short season clubs start:

State College Friday, June 14th
    Johnson City Thursday, June 18th
    GCL Cards Wednesday, June 24th

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Arozarena = .387 in last 10 games and needs another shot at Memphis. Shake up that outfield that has been just mediocre all season… no one sticking out.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would like to see what Ravelo could do in the majors. The only bad part is what position would he play?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If they traded JMart, Ravelo would be a logical replacement, although surely better defense.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As I see it there may be a good explanation why the Card’s four full-season teams are struggling of late. Memphis has 12 players on the injured list. That is roughly a half of a 25-man roster.
    Ps
    Gomber
    DGonzalez
    Hauschild
    Herget
    Meisinger
    Morales

INFs
    Mendoza
    Robinson
    Schrock
    Urias

OFs
    O’Neill
    Thomas

(There are also 11 other full-season players on the injury list.)

This results in players coming up from Springfield that may not be ready to or able to perform at the AAA level. As the domino effect kicks in there are some players throughout the organization that are facing the same consequences. They may have needed more time at a lesser level instead of being rushed up just to be fill-ins for other players that are replacing other players. (Kruczynski-Shew-YGonzalez-Robinson) There are a lot of these situations in this category.

Palm Beach is in it’s All-Star break and their roster is at 17. By tomorrow their schedule resumes and there will need to be 8 players added to their roster… nearly a third of that team. Peoria is having its own problems and there will be more players pushed up perhaps prematurely from a (low-A) roster that offers very little as far as prospects playing well enough for promotions but may be forced upward anyway.

There will be a couple pitching draftees to supplement the full-season teams but is that something that will benefit them? The best of those at EST have already been assigned, 19 already have been moved up to the full-season teams and most of the rest to State College. Of the Spikes’ 6 INFs on their roster, none appear to be solid prospects.

The draft produced only five INFs (in the later rounds) and only three DSL INFs were brought state-side for EST. The system may need to seek out DFAs to supplement at INF spots. The organization is in a touchy area… pushing players, especially infielders, to perhaps inappropriate levels for the youngest of their prospects.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years