Affiliate observations 2019……

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations 2019……

Tagged: 

This topic contains 107 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 4 hours, 9 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Very limited-time opportunity…

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is Gomber rehabbing soon?

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Memphis has resorted to giving games away! UGH

Leading 4-3, Chris Beck came on in the bottom of the ninth and saw Jacob Hannemann reach on an error to start the inning. Hannemann stole second and went to third on a throwing error, and he then crossed the plate as the tying run when Edmundo Sosa fielded a ground ball and tried to throw him out at the plate but was late. Phillips Evans then singled home the winning run for the Cubs.

JTorres put on a show for his Johnson City teammates. Very encouraging.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I’m not sure he even answered one question.

I read something last week that said he’s still 2-3 weeks out from throwing, and then he’s surely need to rehab probably at Jupiter for a few starts.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Redbirds have 7 pitchers on the IL, most notably Reyes, Shew, Gomber, Herget, Meisinger.

Springfield has WPerez and MGonzalez ailing.

Palm Beach has starters Oxnevad, Tewews and Walsh just watching games.

Many of the pitching prospect are hurt so their spots are filled with those from lower levels. Some do well enough with the opportunity and some reach the Peter principle. There’s always injuries, but this year the AAA has so many and the domino effect kicks in.

Some of our affiliates are having real problems with their rotations and poor bullpens most evident is the (1-9) GCL-Cards. Their staff has the highest ERA by a full run over the second worst in the league. They stand at 18th in a 18 team division. I don’t remember a team with such poor performance in our organization.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BHC… try this. “DREAMVILLE”.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ST. LOUIS, Mo. – July 4, 2019– The St. Louis Cardinals announced today that Memphis Redbirds (AAA) outfielder Randy Arozarena (pronounced Ahh-ROW-sa-ray-na) and Palm Beach Cardinals (High-A) right-handed pitcher Alvaro Seijas (pronounced SAY-hoss) have been honored as the Cardinals Minor League Player and Pitcher of the Month for June for their accomplishments on the field.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

That’s certainly some kind of delusion, Ny. Wow lol. Perhaps he doesn’t understand what the ‘A’ in “Q and A” means?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is an aspect of the low minors that many do not fully understand and appreciate. Here is a father in Venezuela, thanking the locals in Peoria for taking good care of his baseball-playing son, who has been promoted upward.

(It is sad that MLB does not do more for minor leaguers, but that is a discussion for a different day.)

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Of TCN’s top half (1-25) of the top-50 IMO I can see 7 who have produced above or at their expectations:
    Carlson-Arozarena-Woodford-JFernandez-Oviedo-Fagalde-Rondon. Most of the others have been just so-so, struggling or injured. The bottom 25 have even less… maybe a handful, if that.

This is the reason that most of the affiliates are having poor seasons with team offensive and pitching stats at the lower echelons of their league’s numbers. Its concerning.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Of all of the starting pitchers on full season teams, Rondon could make a case for himself as pitcher of the year. He should be at Memphis next year. I may be forgetting someone, but my top 3 starters in terms of performance are:

1) Fagalde
    2) Rondon
    3) Woodford

If Fagalde keeps dong what he is doing, he will be almost impossible to beat. But, I could see Rondon catching him.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Don’t count out Tommy Parsons, who has done it while being promoted twice – in his first full season after having been a non-drafted free agent. Quite a story!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As I had suspected…

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Parson is most likely starter number 4. At this point, it’s between Oviedo and him. Whichever handles AA better is my # 4.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Walsh struck out the side in his inning today for the GCL Cardinals. I am wondering if he will be built up to start. Doubtful, with the limited time left in the minor league season. Maybe if they have him penciled in for the AFL.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2 things when it comes to grading the Cards farm system is the injuries, especially outsiders. They are going to look at cumulative record, and say we had a terrible year. A drop in our pipeline was partly to blame, but injuries to top prospects made it a double whammy. I believe our draft was very good, and believe the injured will recover their prospect status, but we won’t see that until 2020. It really makes our international player development even more important going forward.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27, Montero quickly comes to mind, but I can’t think of others injured in the system’s top 20 for any significant period of time. Who else were you thinking of?

P.S. Justin Williams is in the 20-30 group. Gingery hasn’t yet pitched so we don’t know how good/bad he really is.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m curious as to why Springfield’s starting pitcher Fagalde was passed over leaving a bullpen start for yesterday’s game.

YGonzalez has got his mojo back and is batting .484 in his last eight games for the S-Cards. On the flip side OFs Toerner and Hurst seem over-matched at AA ball.

Peoria’s Casadilla has had four dud starts in a row after being successful in his first four. He gave up four HRs yesterday in a 9-8 loss. C IHerrera went 5-5.

Johnson City put up a snowman in the 4thinn. and still managed to lose 13-12 in 10. Those darn Elizabethon Twins scored 5 in the ninth to tie it and won it in the 10th. the JC-Cards were fanned 16 times. UGH

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I borrowed this from the member forum:

The thing I see in the GCL-Cards is that some players from last season the were getting some mention in the TCN’s group rankings like DeLosSantos#42 (’18-.354 avg–’19=.200) are struggling. Selmo#89 was at .301 in ths DSL last season and now .077. RMendoza#75 (’18 =.311 for the G-Cards .167.)

These are the guys that need to pick it up a notch because others from the G-Cards will replace them like WJimenez .367… FSoto .356 and FHernandez .321. All of these players are still very young and will have some ups and downs, But higher averages attract some folks here when they are ranking the lower affiliate prospects.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Re: FaGalde. Derek Shore posted about this on the Sunday minors thread here on the board and it was also mentioned in today’s Notebook on the home page. FaGalde warmed up as normal but then was scratched. We assume injury, but Springfield is off today.

(Note the capital G. This is how he spells his last name, so we have changed to respect that.)

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

State College continues to get some good prospects from down below as their opening day prospects move up at a quickened rate. Johnson City’s Roach who was their most consistent starter just moved up. I hope that 20 year old Puello stay where he is at JC.

With 3B Nunez back with the JC-Birds Redmond is again moved over to 2B after getting his majority of starts at third. Redmond (6’1″ 230) projects more as a corner player but was drafted (32rd.) as a second baseman.

Redmond is the guy that was pounding the ball last month (.346) and is now tailing off that pace. Just checking his splits he hits .338 vs. rhp and just .071 against lefties. He’s needs to work on that and finding a position suitable for him.

Nunez(TCN #8) should be able to get plenty of starts but JC has 4 catchers and 8 infielders to find ABs for. Their OF is now Fletcher(#10)-Torres(#16) and VGarcia plus Soler and DelRio.

1B Lott and SS Gil are getting plenty of playing time and both hitting well enough. Some pretty good prospects to keep an eye on and one or two could make the new top-50.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Ny,

FaGalde was placed on Injured List yesterday, as well.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BA updated its Top 30 rankings for each team today:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/teams/1019/st-louis-cardinals/organizational/?year=2019#7737

The publication has Dylan Carlson as the Cardinals top prospect. Few others worth noting include Zack Thompson at No. 8, Junior Fernandez at No. 12, Julio Rodriguez at No. 15, Angel Rondon at No. 17, Edgar Gonzalez at No. 21, Tommy Parsons at No. 22 and Trejyn Fletcher at No. 23.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 5 hours ago by Avatar Derek Shore.
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Its been a bleak season for our system so far lead by MEM which is 21 game under .500. There are a few good news items to speak of about some prospects that get little attention and that get glazed over.

Johan Mieses has found his comfort zone after being sent up to AAA for his first time. With a lifetime minor league BA of .243, Mieses has broken out of that and is presently batting .378 (17-45) with 4 HRs and 14 rbis.

Mitchell Osnowitz, who? has recently been promoted to Springfield has improved on his lifetime stats in his first shot at AA ball. He is a guy that was drafted by ATL in ’14, moved over to the BOS organization and then pickup up by the Cards in Feb. of ’18. He spent nearly of last season on the DL so if you haven’t heard of him that’s understandable. But has found his niche with SPFD and in a small sample of six games and 8.1 inn his whip is at 0.96 ERA 1.08 with 10 Ks only 1 ER and a OBA of .107.

Imeldo Diaz is generally considered a light hitting SS with a pro career BA of .234. He recently got bumped up to full-season ball with PB from State College and is 20-57 (.351) since at adv-A. He came to us from the BOS organization along with Stanley Espinal for future considerations…. remember?

There is really no good news items at Peoria (4 up and 21 down 0-10 on the road – 2nd half). Overall they are 24 games under .500 and manager Eric Almonte apparently can’t find a way to win with what he’s been given. He has also lost his four best pitchers (Parsons-Seijas-Cordero-Leahy) to Palm Beach. That’s a bit of good news…. for PB not so much for Almonte.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Slight correction Ny, swop out Baird for Leahy. Leahy is still in Peoria.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 108 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years