2023 Spring training game thread

Home › The Cardinal Nation Forums › Open Forum › 2023 Spring training game thread

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 525 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #213548
    stlcard25
    Participant

    Walker doing his best to keep our expectations tempered, I see. Lol. Good to see the young man playing well. Hope he keeps it up.

    #213552
    1toughdominican
    Participant

    Free

    With both Walker and Gorman rippin’ it up in ST’ing, Johnny has to thinking that either Goldy or Nado are now expendable for the purpose of adding that much desired proverbial ace to the rotation…

    #213553
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Your sense of humor sometimes gets to me, 1td. I can’t stop laughing for now.

    #213554
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    ‘Roster pile up’ or trade bait pile up?

    Donovan’s rough spring is making it easy for Oli to figure out who starts at 2B.

    What’s happening with Walker so far is the stuff dreams are made of. For those who haven’t yet noticed, take a look at Walker’s glaring eyes when he steps up to the plate.

    I don’t know what the oddsmakers are thinking….. and the postseason nowadays is a crapshoot anyway. But now might be a good time to throw a c-note down on the Cardinals. And if they can find a big rotation piece or if Flaherty finally matches expectations, make that 2 c-notes.

    #213555
    1toughdominican
    Participant

    Free

    Goldy’s getting a bit long in the tooth, Mudville. It may be high time for Johnny to exploit his value while it remains lofty…And hey, I didn’t even mention the resurrection of DeJong. The Korean team may have been a foolish decision for little Eddie…He may regret it when he looks out there and sees Paulie manning up at SS on opening day…

    #213556
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I forgot. What was the name of the guy that got NL MVP last year?

    If Arenadao makes a hurried throw, Goldschmidt can catch the ball as long as it’s within 8 feet of first base in any direction.

    #213557
    1toughdominican
    Participant

    Free

    All jokes aside, unless Jordan Walker is mysteriously abducted and held against his will by some foreign intelligence agency, I’m going to be really disappointed if he doesn’t collect around 450 PA’s in ’23. And oh…I certainly hope that Johnny has spoken to Jordan and made it abundantly clear that he’s not to climb astride a highly powered, performance oriented motorcycle…

    #213560
    1toughdominican
    Participant

    Free

    That’s what I’m driving at, Mudville. Johnny’ll be entirely aware that other teams will be champing at the bit to surrender that ace that everyone has longed for while he can still dangle that MVP award out there.

    #213562
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

    Free

    Who needs good pitching with that defense? Last year I’d tune into games I otherwise might not have watched just because I didn’t want to miss Arenado/Edman/Goldy pulling off something really good. An ace pitcher with swing and miss stuff will take some of that away. Strikeouts are boring and Mo/BDW probably don’t want to risk losing viewership.

    #213568
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

    Paid - Annual

    Flaherty is shown as available, but it doesn’t seem likely that he will pitch. (See pitchers at lower right.) Last game for Goldy and Arenado pre-WBC.

    They are back on TV today.

    #213575
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Mr. Denton said:

    rookie Jordan Walker is batting fifth.

    I am not sure what he means by ‘rookie’. Walker is a minor league player in camp as an NRI.

    #213580
    1toughdominican
    Participant

    Free

    Maybe he has a trading card that says “rookie” on it, Bling.

    #213581
    1toughdominican
    Participant

    Free

    At this phase, I’ll be highly surprised if Walker isn’t included on the Big League roster on opening day and it wouldn’t at all surprise me if he’s in the starting line-up for the home opener. If that indeed turns out to be the case, where does he slot in the line-up?

    #213584
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I am trying to imagine what the chances of getting that draft pick would be if the reigning MVP was hitting behind Walker all year.

    #213593
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Finally I get to see a game on TV, and first thing I see is Monty serve up a tater.

    #213594
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Well, I’m liking the pace of play.

    Bottom of the first, the first two reached on walks, then Goldy, NA and minor league guy couldn’t do anything with it.

    #213595
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

    Paid - Annual

    Future #8, you mean? The off-speed got him… 😉

    #213596
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I can’t predict the future.

    Things go sideways fast. Monty having an inning to forget. Can’t pitch, can’t make a throw, can’t run over to first.

    #213599
    1toughdominican
    Participant

    Free

    I’m almost always right at predicting something that’s already happened.

    #213600
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    The new 4A type depth catcher Berrera chipped away with a tater in the 2nd, so its 4-1. Back to the top of the order for the bottom of the 3rd, facing Quintana :-[ who shuts us down :-[

    Ollie says Flaherty is pitching tomorrow. :-O

    #213601
    1toughdominican
    Participant

    Free

    Says he wants to make certain Jack’s hydrated.

    #213602
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Walker didn’t look too good on a drive that went over his over his head.

    1TD, I predict that there won’t be any video on that one. It doesn’t take Nostradamus to get that right.

    #213605
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Well, so far all three pitchers we’ve sent out there got touched up.

    Donovan has hit two the other way toward short. One looper fell in. He’s not helping his average exit velocity today.

    #213606
    1toughdominican
    Participant

    Free

    I missed it. What’d he get spun around, or just late starting back?

    #213609
    1toughdominican
    Participant

    Free

    Well, that was a game that could be termed wearisome. It should get better in a little more than three weeks with the first six games against post-season teams from ’22 and I just now noticed that four of them are day games.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 525 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 25 years