2022 CBA negotiations

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 CBA negotiations

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 440 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

ZTR asked:

Are there any professional mediators / arbitrators involved at this point or is it just the two sides at this point?

Great question, but no way on earth MLB would risk turning this over to someone they cannot control.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Like Brian said there is no urgency right now. Things won’t get moving until February or March.

I think both sides are going to need to compromise but it seems to be fairly accepted by most mlb writers that the owners won the last cba handily, which is why the revenue has tilted their way, therefore, I expect the players to really dig their heals in this time to try to balance things out.

Smart analytical front offices figured out that giving long term contracts to average players in their 30’s didn’t make sense so they stopped doing that, which is of course smart. But if older players aren’t going to get paid then the system will need to be tweaked to pay younger players sooner, either by quicker arbitration or quicker free agency.

There are a lot of peripheral issues but it really boils down to two for the players.

1. How to pay players sooner?
    2. How to stop tanking?

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Pork

An increase in minimum wage has already increased prices. A pizzarea owner in my town…not a millionaire has had to raise prices because of wage requirements.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Millions here and millions there, which side are we supposed to feel sorry for? That’s the thing about being rich, no matter how many millions ya got you always want more.

Pity the poor Class A player.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am too lazy to read the Jayson Stark article, but I assume the NL DH is not a rule change that is off the table? Or is it on a different table?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Between getting priced out of attending games and the way they have nerfed the game on the field, I really don’t care what they do or when they get the season under way. I tune in sporadically and check box scores but I can readily live without doing either.

One question, if this drags on into the spring, will minor leaguers report as usual and get MiLB under way?

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

MiLB players aren’t under the CBA because they’re not part of the MLBPA. However, those MiLB players on the 40-man roster are in the lockout.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Things like the DH and expanded playoffs are just window dressing. Both sides want them and will agree to them. The real issues are paying players sooner and preventing tanking.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I like the way you capsulize it, gscottar. I hear an NBA-type lottery draft is in the works to help disincentivize tanking. The other main issue is getting more balance in the increased revenues. In recent years those have all gone to management.

MLB is no different than other industries in that the split between the top few and the bottom many has gotten ever wider. Getting those revenues into the hands of the “lower and middle” class players is what needs to be worked out.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nothing happening anytime soon.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well they need a holiday break.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

A well-known strategy for reaching agreement – simply don’t talk to the other side.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

By golly this lockout strategy really seems to be working!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This list doesn’t really have anything directly to do with the CBA negotiations but it was interesting to look at.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve only briefly skimmed the article so far and am anxious to read it carefully this weekend. A topic, together with the history of the anti-trust exemption which has long interested me. Thx crdswmn.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Well, it’s January, so I wonder what the excuse for no negotiations will be now…

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Logan:

It’s easy…both sides will blame the other.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Darn you ms, darn you for bringing logic into this discussion…

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Predictions on when this will get finalized? Unfortunately, my guess is Wednesday March 2nd… then a flurry of moves and ST starting Fri March 11.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I seem to have lost the theory of what this lockout was supposed to achieve. Does anybody out there remember?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Predictions on when this will get finalized? Unfortunately, my guess is Wednesday March 2nd… then a flurry of moves and ST starting Fri March 11.

I would say that prediction is about spot on. I doubt it will be before then, maybe later in March though.

I seem to have lost the theory of what this lockout was supposed to achieve. Does anybody out there remember?

It is primarily going to be about arbitration, free agency, salary tax, and maybe a salary floor. Those are the tough issues.

Playoff expansion and DH should be easier to solve.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Yes, but my question is how does the lockout serve to bring any of those things about.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 440 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years