2022 CBA negotiations

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 CBA negotiations

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 445 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jeff Gordon highlights the Manfred clown show.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hello and goodbye!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One view of the thorniest issue.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MLBPA fighting misinformation from radio yakkers…

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Picking an opponent should NEVER happen. To me that challenges the integrity of the game. This simply cannot be allowed.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Negotiations will reopen on Monday.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Picking an opponent should NEVER happen. To me that challenges the integrity of the game. This simply cannot be allowed.

r/Esteemed Rat

I agree Rat. It sounds like something Vince McMahon would come up with.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is technically true. The lockout was a choice, not mandated. The negotiation of the new CBA could have taken place while operating under the old CBA. The owners chose not to do this because they feared the players might strike during the season, which is what I believe happened in 1994.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I suspect the primary reason for the lockout is for MLB to hold the high ground. In any negotiation, no one wants to be on even footing. They want the advantage.

If they wanted to negotiate in good faith, they would have started talks two years ago or even a year ago. The Dec. 1 deadline was known for a long, long time.

Bottom line is that the owners have locked out the players. It isn’t technically true, it is true, period. The players seem willing to report under prior rules with negotiations continuing. Apparently, ownership doesn’t want that.

On the strike risk, it seems to me that owners would do better financially if they could start the season on time and play x number of games even if there is risk of a later strike compared to not playing any games. Instead, the owners don’t want to start at all, hoping the union will fold and they can play the back part of the season under the new CBA with terms more favorable to them (not the least of which is their newest baby, the expanded playoffs).

The lockout is all about one side trying to weaken the resolve of the other.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Still very very bullish on the regular season not losing any games off the 162 slate. Watch what happens here in the next 12 days. Play ball!

shakenbake McBride
    Participant

Free

Juan Soto turned down a 13-year, $350 million contract from the Washington Nationals…the players need to continue holding out…how can anyone be expected to survive in these inflationary times on a paltry $350 million?

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

All of this was just so, so unnecessary.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Juan Soto turned down a 13-year, $350 million contract from the Washington Nationals…the players need to continue holding out…how can anyone be expected to survive in these inflationary times on a paltry $350 million?

The elite players are always going to get their money. I think this conflict stems from the MLBPA trying to get more money into younger players hands who aren’t in the top tier of talent.

While the CBT is a big issue I think a bigger issue is arbitration. If the owners would agree to players being eligible for arbitration after two years I think this stalemate would be settled immediately.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

We now basically have one week – just 7 days – to resolve these issues before regular season games will have to be cancelled. 7 days.

Are there any meetings scheduled for this week? Will the midnight oil be burned at some point in time this week?

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe it’s time for us to move past this CBA chat and start talking spring training baseball. I think to a man(and woman), we all know deep down inside that this squabble is right on the precipice of being resolved. Let’s play some ball!

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This whole thing is not really about more money for players (A bigger part of the take for players is what the players say this is all about.) It’s about what the players perceive as fairness. Surely, a starting salary of around $600k plus all the millions upon millions of dollars that are awarded to players in arbitration and in long term contracts is plenty of money for players. The players simply think that the Owners are making more money than they should be allowed to make, and that they are compelled by conscience to do something about it. It really amounts to activism. And this complicates negotiations because you get everyone saying it’s about money when it’s not. If players and owners are are going to argue, they need to know precisely what they are arguing about. In this case it’s about principles, not money. The players have their principles and the owners have theirs. Both sides have to have negotiators who can work through this in order to come up with an amicable settlement.

I commented, maybe a year ago, that they ought to give more money to young players so that they can get a jump on becoming multi-millionaires. I’d like to see every player that gets added to a 40 man roster get a taste of the big money. Give them $400K, or $500K, just for making it to a 40 man roster, and keep paying them until they make it to a 25 man roster, or until they are off of a 40 man roster. The particulars of how that can be made to work can be worked out. Also, the starting salary for a major league player can be increased so they get their millions sooner.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

I’d rather a player gets paid millions because they earned it, not because they just made it onto the 40 man roster and such, sometimes a player is added simply to fill out the 40 man, with no chance of playing anytime soon, they shouldn’t get monetarily rewarded for that. To me that sounds like kids getting participation trophies for everything. Not every player is going to become a multi-millionare, I’d guess that most won’t get the big bucks.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 445 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years