2021 Rotation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Rotation

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 543 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

Actually, LA, you said that the Cardinals model of trading pitching for excellent position players is very inefficient. To the contrary, it has been pretty efficient. It’s been efficient for a long time. Is that better for reading comp?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Waino has made almost $150,000,000.00 playing professional baseball. He has a wife, 4 daughters, and an adopted son
    living at St. Simons Island in Georgia. What’s his motivation for coming back for another year? And being away from his family at least another 7 1/2 months in 2022.

Because he is the best pitcher on the staff. He has always said that he would stick around as long as he was still effective, and he clearly is. I think he and Yadi want to ride out into the sunset together. I can see them both coming back for one final go around.

bccran
    Participant

Next year’s staff will have Flaherty, Hudson, Mikolas,
    Kim, and Reyes. Backing it up will be Oviedo, Libby, Thompson, and Ponce. Waino can relax, be with his family, and manage his investments.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Now we have Libby, Thompson, Oviedo, and Rondon in the wings. That’s not bad at all.

Cranny, you need to connect with reality, and you are not alone. Liberatore and Rondon are managing to be .500 pitchers in AAA. Thompson has gotten crushed. Oviedo was a .500 pitcher with a 5+ ERA in AA we don’t even know if he can succeed in AAA. We can name reasons why none of them are crushing it, but they are not.

Contrast what any of them are doing with Hudson who put up 13-3, 2.50 ERA in Memphis in 2018. That is an actual MLB starting rotation prospect as opposed to a hope and a prayer. As of now, there is nothing at Memphis that looks like it will will successful in an MLB rotation.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

delete duplicate post

bccran
    Participant

Well, BB, I think I am connecting with reality. I said those pitchers are in the wings. That doesn’t mean they will compete for a spot in the rotation at ST. It means that they will probably be ready sometime during the 2022 season. The box scores are showing some nice improvement with them lately as they progress in their development. As an example, here was Thompson yesterday against Durham –

IP – 6
    H- 3
    R – 1

And the day before, here was Rondon –

IP – 6
    H – 2
    R- 2 (1 earned)

Kinda fun to check the box scores everyday to see how these guys are progressing.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope they pan out cranny. I check MiLB boxes scores pretty regularly.

bccran
    Participant

The average age of AAA ballplayers is 26.8 years old

Libby is 21
    Oviedo is 23
    Thompson is 23
    Rondon is 23

They are playing up and learning fast.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Waino can relax, be with his family, and manage his investments

He probably would do that if he was pitching like the rest of our staff but instead he has been very good. I think he comes back.

bccran
    Participant

That doesn’t answer the question on why he should come back when his kids are growing like weeds and missing their father. Since he’s a wealthy man and doesn’t need the money.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You seem to overlook the desire to compete that these athletes have honed since a very young age. My guess is that Wainwright will play as long as he remains healthy and his results are good.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Braves graded our starting pitching for us and the results by GSc are…

Lester 27
    Happ 52
    LeBlanc 56

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Waino should come back because he is a competitor and loves the game. He is still pitching very good and the Cardinals could use him both as a pitcher and as a mentor. He had children the last several seasons and still chose to pitch. I could see him saying that he wants to give it 1 more year and try to get to another World Series.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think he will take stock of his health and what his body is telling him. At least I hope so. He’s on borrowed time now as far as pushing his body to do what it probably shouldn’t be doing. Hate for him to live the rest of his life with a surgically repaired rotator cuff or some such.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I have one of those and a full knee replacement as well. Im limited but still walk and piddle around at the gym a couple of times a week.

Having the hardware installed isn’t as good as original but it beats the he’ll out of being a cripple.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Waino is now 10-6. Too bad we don’t have Lynn’s 10-3 to put with that. But he’s making $9 million this year. Half of what Carp’s making. Just over half Mikolas money. 2/3 what we’re paying Fowler this year. The only good starter to come up since Lynn was shown the door is Hudson but we always think we are loaded. Go back to the first page of this thread and see what I mean.

bccran
    Participant

Hudson was shown the door?

14NyquisT
    Participant

bccran

Waino has made almost $150,000,000.00 playing professional baseball. He has a wife, 4 daughters, and an adopted son
    living at St. Simons Island in Georgia. What’s his motivation for coming back for another year? And being away from his family at least another 7 1/2 months in 2022.

For many many ballplayers its called love of the game….. (see Yadier Molina.)

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think you misread my comment cranny.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here is a comment from last September.

Flaherty
    Hudson
    Kim
    Mikolas
    Waino (if signed)
    Martinez
    Ponce
    Gomber
    Woodford
    Reyes
    Cabrera
    Gant
    Oviedo

And coming up quickly –

Liberatore
    Thompson
    Rondon

That’s almost an embarrassment of riches.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here is another

all these pitchers, even if they can’t start, make the relief corps even stronger. It also has kept them for the most part from having to resort to bringing guys in off the scrap heap to fill roster openings. Primarily a home-grown staff

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One last, and this is all just page one.

Coming into ’20 we were loaded with high level pitchers. Going into ’21 we are in the same position… plenty of arms (actually too many for the MLB/AAA rosters)

14NyquisT
    Participant

By VB’s John LaRue. This is how some fans see the trade deadline acquisitions.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2021/8/6/22608321/the-busted-veteran-hail-mary-a-history

The FO have been praying the “Hail Mary” game enough times to fill out an entire set of rosary beads. They should be saying an “act of contrition” aloud for all to hear…. and throw in some “mea culpas” also.

[in a Bronx accent] “we’re tanking ova here”.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My point is we couldn’t come close to staffing the Mlb pitching roster with mlb worthy arms this year, nor the AAA roster. Nor AA for that matter. And there can be no realistic expectation of doing so next year. The AAA staff just walked 12 in 6 innings for crying out loud. It will take another massive influx the quality of which remains to be seen. But we will see the same laundry lists of riches posted again this fall.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If there is anything in Memphis to help next year, let’s see them here in September. They aren’t going to be better in April.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 543 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.