2020 MLB Draft

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 MLB Draft

Viewing 25 posts - 851 through 875 (of 965 total)
  • Author
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

A lot will depend on the individual roster sizes agreed on at each level (I expect them to increase slightly) and the overall organizational limit that will probably be implemented. Until those numbers are known it might be premature to make cuts.

bccran
    Participant

When do the new post draft prospect rankings come out?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good morning. Hopefully, I will get that article finished this morning after I tape with Danny Mac.

bccran
    Participant

Great. Thanks, Brian.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Should be interesting to see how the guys slot in. I’d place them in like so:

Thomas #8 (reasoning from earlier in this post)
    Winn #18-One spot behind Fletcher, as I think these guys just go together at this point
    Hence-Mid 20s. Lots of talent here, but young and raw
    Bedell-Low 30s. Love the polish on this kid. He’s maybe the best bet to make the majors one day.
    Burleson-40s. The potential with the bat is there but he wasn’t a slam dunk where he got drafted.
    Prater-Late 40s, HM. There’s a chance he’d be higher in the rankings if there was a minor league season. He seems like the type we’d argue about after he tore through the GCL/reached Palm Beach.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For those with specific questions on Derek’s and my individual placements and our logic behind them, please post them on the members board rather than here. Thanks to all.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The fan voting process has been imitated but never duplicated, as our readers continue to be the some of the most knowledgeable people anywhere when it comes to the players in the Cardinals minor league system.

-Brian Walton

It may have been interesting to have had a fan poll to place our new prospects. (Included in the new top-50 rankings?) Si o no.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I considered including fan input, but for two reasons I did not this time. First of all, it takes a long time for the voting process. Second is that the number of fans participating in the vote may be fairly limited in number compared to our regular off-season process.

Having said that, if the community wants to hold its own vote, I am all for it. Just start a separate thread if you decide to do that, please. Thanks.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Urias needs to be removed as he’s no longer in the organization.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Yes, came here also to mention Urias

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Fletcher was a projected 1st round pick this year if he had returned for his senior year. That would most likely make him a top 10 system prospect. But playing and struggling against older players drops him significantly.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks, I missed Urias. Will update accordingly.

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I assume they are done signing UDFAs. Do I assume correctly? I assume so.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t think there was a signing period for UDFA’s.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The signing period continues until seven days prior to the next draft.

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

sure there is TIME (calendar) to sign more but I guess they are done.

If they are not out there looking to sign any more, I could see a situation when a player agent calls THEM to gauge any interest the Cards might have.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I see what you were referring to. That would be a good question to ask Mozeliak, although I bet he would give an indefinite answer like he often does.

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

of course right now we need to get the other 5 of our drafted 7 to sign a contract.
    saved about $207,000 with Burleson and about $250,000 with Jones.
    some of that will go to Bedell who still had some leverage, but not a whole lot. JMO.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s amazing that these high school boys aren’t sure that 1 or 2 or 3 million dollars is enough for them. (The draft system needs an overhaul along with the rest of MLB.)

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I may be wrong about no more UDFAs after seeing just now from an article by D Goold:

The Cardinals, by team policy, do not make their draft signings official until after a physical is completed. The team is waiting, for example, to announce a complete list of the undrafted players signed, though eight of them have already been confirmed by other sources.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

It’s amazing that these high school boys aren’t sure that 1 or 2 or 3 million dollars is enough for them. (The draft system needs an overhaul along with the rest of MLB.)

What do you propose, mudville? The draft has already went several major reforms in the past few CBAs.

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hey BHC, here’s my draft system change for the new CBA:
    allow for trading of draft picks.
    surely adds excitement to the NBA and NFL drafts.
    JMO but I think it is long overdue.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Do those other leagues that allow draft pick trades have any issues with tanking teams? Wondering if there are some implications unique to MLB’s model.

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

not sure, but we seem to have tanking already w/o trading of draft picks

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 851 through 875 (of 965 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.