2020 MLB Draft

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 MLB Draft

Viewing 25 posts - 751 through 775 (of 965 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like the way the draft turned out for the Cards. They picked some guys with superstar potential and they made some college pitcher picks that should have w a good shot to make it to the bigs one day or another. Winn could end up the SS on our 2024 all prospect team, or he could be a starter. Maybe both. I like it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards ended up taking two players committed to the UA. Hey, I don’t mind as long as it helps the Redbirds win in the future.

As for Casey Opitz, he goes undrafted and has already announced he will come back to the UA. He was probably on the cusp of getting drafted so this is a good example of a quality undrafted player who is not impressed with the $20k bonus and will return to college. I wonder how many others will do the same.

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

hundreds of them

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I wish they would fix the draft seeding. I get using the standings as a way to set the order but I find it ridiculous that the Nationals who won the WS got to pick ahead of several other teams. Why not use the standings to determine the draft order for the teams who didn’t make the playoffs and then use the elimination order and standings for teams who made the playoffs? The formats they’re using has bothered me for a few years now.

bccran
    Participant

Excellent point, BHC.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Probably because the best team is more likely to have the best regular season record than to win the World Series. I’m ok with the seeding based on record over a 162 game trial.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I think Masyn Winn was a great pick.

GameCard
    Participant

Free
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There are clubs that think it’s unfair that St. Louis gets a competitive balance pick because Ottawa small market team even though the Redbirds finish at or near the top of their division year after year.

It’s my understanding that teams can’t talk to free undrafted players until after Sunday. Is that correct?

bccran
    Participant

When I was younger, I’d go to the ballpark here in St. Louis and many times sit near or next to African American fans. We’d strike up conversations about baseball in general, specific players, in game strategies, etc. Most of the time I found that they knew more about those topics than I did, and I learned a lot from those conversations. And they had their heroes – Bill White, Gibby, Ozzie, Lou, Curt, Willy Mays, Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson, etc. Over the years, those fans have dwindled, and it’s a shame. There has been a large influx of Latin American ball players over the years like Albert, Yadi, CMart, etc. and less African American players on the Cardinals. And now come players like Dylan Carlson, Trejyn Fletcher, Jordan Walker, Masyn Winn, Tink Hense, and LV Jones. Those 4 African American players drafted in the last 2 days (added to Carlton and Fletcher) are great athletes with very high ceilings. Maybe, just maybe, we’ll have some African American hero ballplayers at Busch stadium that will bring back some of those great fans. and also provide guidance, motivation and leadership to young St. Louis kids. Wouldn’t that be something!

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

….. and maybe the African-American kids will start wanting to ply baseball again, instead of just football.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The growth of NBA and NFL cut into the African-American players in baseball.

bccran
    Participant

You’re right. Mudville. They’ve gravitated to football and basketball. They need some mentors in the community who are baseball people. Pro ballplayers who get out and speak at youth group gatherings. Maybe someday we’ll have a roster that include Carlson, Fletcher, Walker, Winn, Hence,
    and Jones. Great role models who can talk baseball, and maybe mentor some kids.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

BC, I’m confused where Carlson comes into that?

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

The Kingwood kid looks special and plays a few miles from my house. Very pleased with the draft this year. We need to sign them all.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I’ve heard the least about Prater in regards to the draft picks, is he likely going to be used as a reliever only?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bccran
    Participant

ChiTown – I’ve seen Carlson up close and personal at Spring Training, and thought he was African American. Am I wrong?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems like somebody is always donating a baseball field somewhere close to the Afro-American communities, or money to get kids started in baseball. But it’s just not happening. I miss the speed on the base paths along with the stolen bases.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There’s a nice piece today in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch by Steve Overbey about Bedell. It will be interesting to follow this kid. He could be a real sleeper.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/mizzous-ian-bedell-goes-to-his-dream-team-in-cardinals/article_1046d4d9-c6fc-5065-87f9-661a30fd5f7a.html

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

BC, I don’t think so at all? Could anyone 100% confirm?

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Alec Burleson has made his twitter account private after some insensitive tweets from 2014 were found.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

To bccran and CFICT: I’ve seen pics of Carlson’s parents (assuming they are biological). The father appeared to be caucasian. The mother I’m not sure. Maybe she’s bi- or multi-racial.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Euro and BC: I agree with Euro, after googling his parents and going to his mom’s twitter, the dad is caucasian for sure so he could possibly be 25% AA at most, but the mom looks possibly 50% Latina to me?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Any blend of white lightning and chocolate thunder looks great in red.

Viewing 25 posts - 751 through 775 (of 965 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.