2020 Cardinals line-up & rotation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals line-up & rotation

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 378 total)
  • Author
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With Ozuna gone now, Castellenos not going to happen, and Arenado not happening….i think we have our 2020 Cardinals pretty much set folks.

26 day opening roster:

C- Yadi
    1- Goldy
    2- Wong (lead off)
    3- Carp
    SS- DeJong
    LF- Lane
    CF- Bader
    RF- Fowler

UTIL-ONeill
    UTIL-Wieters
    UTIL-Edman
    UTIL-Sosa
    UTIL-Ravelo

SP-Jack
    SP-Hud
    SP-Mik
    SP-Kim
    SP-Waino

CL-CMart
    RP-Miller
    RP-Gallegos
    RP-Brebbia
    RP-Helsley
    RP-Webb
    RP-Junior
    RP-Genesis
    RP-Gant

others for consideration:
    -Munoz, Carlson, Dean, Williams
    role changes possibilities:
    -CMart to rotation and Kim to relief, with Gallegos or Miller to closer
    -Fowler to leadoff, Wong down in lineup where he succeeded before
    -Edman plays 5 days a week between multiple positions, primarily 3b and OF (Carp will start no matter)
    -Oneill starts and Bader is on bench with Thomas in CF (Fowler will start no matter what)

Sure there are a few questions over a few spots, but this is pretty much it folks. Doesn’t spark any kind of optimism for improving the offense.

As someone else wrote, this could be an historically bad offense. And no amount of good defense, solid young pitching, and pretty baserunning will change it without monumental resurgences and hot out of the gate young players playing over their heads

14NyquisT
    Participant

For the heck of it I checked the MLB.com STL depth chart:

6- OF (no Carlson)
    8- INF w/Carpenter-Sosa-Munoz-Ravelo
    2- C w/Knizner(no Wieters)
    7- SP w/Gomber-Martinez-Kim
    12- RP w/Hicks-Cecil-Ponce
    ___

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I am loving how optimistic posters are for Edman and Carlson but they are pessimistic for almost all the other players.

In 2019, Molina had his 2nd worst offensive year since 2010. Goldschmidt had his worst since his rookie year. Wong had one of his best years. DeJong had one of his worst as a pro. Carpenter had his worst in the majors. Bader had his worst as a pro. Fowler had a slightly below his career average year. I don’t see how almost everyone on the team will have a down year again.

Did the team fix the problem? No. Is there some possible bright spots? Yes. Between Williams, O’Neill and Thomas, I think they can come up with a left fielder to replace Ozuna.

bccran
    Participant

Forsch – If Williams, O’Neill, or Thomas is your left fielder to replace Ozuna, who do you have in right?

bccran
    Participant

Forsch – If it’s Fowler, does he have the OPS for a corner outfielder?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jager, you have 27 players listed on your roster. Need to remove one of the relievers.

Also need to factor in Reyes, hopefully.

Our payroll is currently around $164. Dewitt says we should end up around 170 so how should we spend the rest? Brad Hand makes 7.5, just saying. Send Gant, Webb, and some mid range prospect to Cleveland for Hand and our payroll would be almost exactly 170.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

You know as I read through the posts on this thread I realize that many folks are concentrating on poor offensive performance but kind of disregarding the outstanding defensive figures posted as well as the great results from the pitching and relief corps. I rely on the fact that we made it to the NLCS with an admittedly poor offense but one that has a lot of possibility to turn it around without hardly any change of personnel. Better performances from a few players could add up to another WS appearance. Ozuna’s replacement will have to at least meet or exceed his production. A lot of folks are on Thomas but I just haven’t seen him much before he was injured. ONeil would have to hit the cover off the ball in ST before I would consider him for LF. If Bader doesn’t hack it then it might be time to take a peek at Carlson around mid-May or so.

I see a good season for the Cards coming up with them taking the division once again followed by the Reds, Brewers, Cubs and Pirates. It will be another dogfight in the NLC except for the Pirates. I know it will not happen but for some reason I would not mind seeing Castellanos hired. His price might be a lot cheaper now that Ozuna has signed for chump change.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good observations MM3. This team won last year because of pitching and defense and that should be our strength again this year. Run prevention is the key but it would be nice to get more offense out of Goldy, Yadi, Carp, Fowler, DeJong, and Bader.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oops!

Thanks!

Drop Junior to also considered

And true Reyes is another possibility.

———

Personally for me I’m it banking on Wong and Edman to be repeat performers either.

But Carp Fowler Goldy and Yadi have all been sliding for 3 years offensively yes Goldy and CRp had amazing 2 years ago second half’s but in general not consistent.

Our defense might be great. But why we lost to the Nats was because we had ZERO offense and were embarrassed on a national stage because of it.

We are banking on mid 30s rebounds from far too many players as well depending on one year outbursts and promises of prospect greatness

Simba9
    Participant

Free

Latest depth chart on MLB.com

Last Verified: Jan 22, 2020

LEFT FIELD
    T. O’Neill
    J. Williams
    A. Dean
    Y. Munoz

CENTER FIELD
    H. Bader
    L. Thomas
    D. Fowler

RIGHT FIELD
    D. Fowler
    T. O’Neill
    J. Williams
    A. Dean

SHORTSTOP
    P. DeJong
    T. Edman
    Y. Munoz

2ND BASE
    K. Wong
    T. Edman
    E. Sosa

1ST BASE
    P. Goldschmidt
    R. Ravelo

ROTATION
    1. J. Flaherty
    2. D. Hudson
    3. M. Mikolas
    4. A. Wainwright
    5. K. Kim
    6. C. Martinez
    7. A. Gomber
    8. D. Ponce de Leon

CATCHER
    Y. Molina
    A. Knizner

3RD BASE
    T. Edman
    M. Carpenter
    Y. Munoz
    E. Sosa

BULLPEN
    J. Hicks
    A. Miller
    G. Gallegos
    R. Helsley
    J. Brebbia
    T. Webb
    J. Gant
    G. Cabrera
    B. Cecil
    J. Fernandez
    A. Reyes
    D. Ponce de Leon

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Periodic reminder. The depth charts on MLB.com are not filled out by anyone who is even remotely connected with constructing rosters or writing lineup cards. So consider them for their entertainment value, but do not accept them as gospel.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Simba9, I think you missed Wieters who is currently taking his physical to resign with the Cards.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I expect this to just about be the everyday lineup coming out of spring training.

LF – O’Neill
    CF – Fowler
    RF – Edman
    3B – Carpenter
    SS – DeJong
    2B – Wong
    1B – Goldschmidt
    C – Molina

There are, however, a lot of things that can impact this. Such as:
    1) Will Bader hit?
    2) O’Neill’s strikeouts
    3) Can Carpenter rebound?
    4) Will Fowler hit?

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If this team is going to hang its hat on pitching and defense then Fowler should never be in CF.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I decided to make my mid-camp Opening Day roster predictions article free. Do you agree or disagree with my conclusions?

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Molina-C
    Goldschmidt-1B
    Wong-2B
    DeJong-SS
    Edman-3B
    O’Neill-LF
    Bader-CF
    Carlson-RF
    This the Cardinal’s best line-up and any line-up without Tommy Edman is incorrect.
    If Matt Carpenter starts at 3B then Edman starts in LF.
    Dexter Fowler’s role should be as a bench player.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BW, your club predictions appear correct to me. Thomas over Dean (who is having a good spring) gives the bench a true CF’r. The three RHP’s, over Cabrera and Gomber, gives the pen another long relief option and two late inning arms. I expect Cecil to donate his roster spot to one of those lefties early on. Before Opening Day wouldn’t surprise me with his IL history.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Do you agree or disagree with my conclusions?

Nary a piece goes by without a swipe at Edman.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I expect Cecil to donate his roster spot to one of those lefties early on. Before Opening Day wouldn’t surprise me with his IL history.

Unless Cecil’s arm falls off he should be getting the same treatment as Fowler.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14Nyquist said:

Nary a piece goes by without a swipe at Edman.

Which part of the reporting do you disagree with? Did I get his OPS wrong? Did I misrepresent how well the true outfielders are hitting? Be specific.

Edman is a good player and will be a big part of the team. The fact I do not see him as an every day starter seems to bother some. So be it. Just because you say it is so does not make it reality. We will soon see how things shake out.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Unless Cecils arm falls off he should be getting the same treatment as Fowler”

Isn’t that already established by Cecil being predicted on the 25man? I fail to see any meaningful point in your reply to me.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

er-uh, 26man

14NyquisT
    Participant

Did I misrepresent how well the true outfielders are hitting?

In this Spring Training?

Just because you say it is so does not make it reality.

Really? Here I thought that I was running this team.

Edman is a good player and will be a big part of the team. The fact I do not see him as an every day starter seems to bother some.

Oh, I never said in my last comment that Edman should be a starter. You are getting me mixed up with someone else. 🙂 ps he’ll be getting regular starts at many positions and the starters will feel the pressure to stay in the lineup.

We will soon see how things shake out.

Sounds right!

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Any projected line-up without Tommy Edman is incorrect IMO. How do you leave the Cardinal’s most productive position player in 2019 out of the line-up? That is just nuts! He led the team in BA at .304 and OPS at .850.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 378 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.