What’s it gonna take to fix the Cardinals

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum What’s it gonna take to fix the Cardinals

Viewing 25 posts - 1,101 through 1,125 (of 1,382 total)
  • Author
    1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

BP’s always seem to be a sort of commodity that is relatively unknown until the season begins to take shape. You really don’t know the value of what you own until you have it for a while. I guess that same concept can be applied to other areas of a team , but BP’s are almost always a work in progress. In any case, when the right formula proves to be particularly elusive, it can make for a lot of genuine frustration, numerous instances of the use of profanity and the occasional destruction of an end table lamp…Haha!

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Wandy Peralta has had a sub-3.0 ERA the last two years & sub-3.50 the last four years. Last year, he made $3.35 million.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not sure what was up with Peralta last year. His FIP shot up to 5.05 and his BB/9 up to 5.0 (13%) but his ERA remained low (2.83). I notice that his BABiP was .220.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Relievers seems to be inconsistent – good one year, not so much the next. Given their role they don’t really get a chance to be I. A regular groove, so it is understandable that they can be up and down. Plus they never work many innings.

On the favorite player things and trading, I learned at 12 years old that the baseball business will break your heart. It was that off season that we traded my favorite player, and two other favorites of mine – Ken Boyer, Bill White and Dick Groat.

I actually think this club needs to do that same sort of thing and work on moving Goldschmidt, Arenado, and Mikolas. But management is not going to do that.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Well that’s just great. Now bikemike sounds like a broken record too. 😉

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Sorry about the duplicate. Sent it using my phone in a restaurant and it was slow on the uptake – I thought it did not send so hit it again!! Sheesh…

But to repeat..: 😀

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Ahh, I prefer not to email or post messages on my phone, only do it when I’m out of the house. Texting is about it since the eyes aren’t as good as they used to be. But hey bikemike, your posts are always worth a second read, haha.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

My edit disappears occasionally off my phone, and I can’t delete duplicate posts or edit my mistakes.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is amusing. 6th worst in MLB to WS contender. Mo really thinks he did a great job. Someone remind him that he thought he had a good team last winter too.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Not amusing. Mo is closer to the truth than you are.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

GameCard – I am not seeing how we are substantially improved from last year. Especially with the infield/outfield combinations MO reeled off the other day.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pay no mind LACardFan, he just likes to take potshots at whatever I say. Years ago I had a twelve year old who did much the same so it doesn’t bother me.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

LA-Players play better that is how you do it.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Well Juan Yepez’s father is not a fan of Mo

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So it was Mo’s fault that Yepez gained weight, struggled with Memphis most of 2023 and didn’t do much with St. Louis in 28 games, either? Right now, he is hitting .190 with an OPS of .499 in winter ball. He didn’t get a 40-man roster spot. He took a minor league deal with the Nats.

I wish him nothing but success ahead, but family members are not the most objective folks.

FWIW, I don’t think Harold Reynolds has a great perspective, either. As is most things, somewhere in the middle is the more reasonable spot to land.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo as a Hall of Famer? I don’t even know how to respond to that. Someone must have spiked Harold Reynolds’ drink.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1982 willie
    Participant

We’ve only made one good move this post season. That is getting gray. Lynn n Gibson count as average to below average moves but is consistent with this organization as of late. We are nowhere near a world series contender. I don’t consider the Cardinals a division contender at this point. Older players generally don’t get the magic back. If we had totally improved our pitching which was the biggest problem, I could believe that our younger guys could improve enough to offset the older guys hopefully slow decline and in the central we might do something. But we didn’t do that as of yet anyway.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The model has been to be good enough to compete for a playoff spot, and then get some pitching help at the deadline. There doesn’t seem like any good reason to think BillMo would toss the model because it didn’t work one year. The model probably generates tons of cash for ownership.

1982 willie
    Participant

Yea but things change. Sometimes you have to change with it.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

82 Willie, your earlier post is spot on! What we basically have done is add Gray! If you look at last years starting 5 and include Montgomery you can probably even make the case that this starting 5 is worse! Gray at his best will add maybe 5 wins and that is nowhere near a division, much less a WS contender!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think sometimes we get too caught up in numbers when trying to explain things. Numbers can’t explain things that we can’t see. There are many things that go into whether a team is a winner or a loser. In 2022 we won 93 games and in 2023 we won 71 games. We had the same front office, same manager, and many of the same players. Why the difference? We have been trying to figure that out for months but we really don’t know. Weak rotation? Lack of leadership? Perhaps so but sometimes teams just have a down year and then bounce back.

In 1982 we had a World Series team, 1983 and 1984 not so good, 1985 was a World Series team, 1986 not so good, 1987 a World Series team, then the next few years not so good. Same ownership, same manager, and many of the same players. Baseball isn’t played by computers and robots. It is played by humans and humans fluctuate day by day and year by year. Different moods, attitudes, and performances.

So will the 2024 team be like 2022 or 2023? No one knows not even the computers.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

That’s good stuff gscottar. It is that way – teams will be good one year, and come back with basically the same group and things just don’t click. The Mets thought they positioned themselves to win the World Series this year adding two veteran pitchers (hmmm, sounds familiar). Those two guys did not even last the season with them and the team was only a couple games better than us.

We can look our roster and say, “no way we can turn around 20 games with this group.” But there are all kinds of examples of teams that did just that.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

And where does luck factor into the calculations?

Viewing 25 posts - 1,101 through 1,125 (of 1,382 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years