What’s it gonna take to fix the Cardinals

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum What’s it gonna take to fix the Cardinals

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 1,382 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I tend to agree Ny. The only person in the front office that has any credibility is Flores. It would be interesting to see what he could do with a top five draft pick next year.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Most likely that is what they will do. They won’t sell, but if they are out of it they likely won’t buy either.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Sometimes I get cynical when I get angry so here is my take on what goes on in Mozelak’s mind at the very end of his day.

(Fluffs pillow)…. rest his head down on it and says to himself…. let’s see now….. what’s going on in my life today? I think a lot of fans are very angry at my FO…. and they are also picking on my manager. The team must be in last place or close to it by the reactions I’m getting. I haven’t looked at the standings lately…. I’ll do that over the weekend.

I hear that we have three outfielders in sickbay…. but I think that is being patched up by the four second basemen we have. I hope that our regs (I forget their names and will look them up over the weekend) get better soon. Note to self: call Girsch and get their names…. its June, he should know them by now. I’ll send them cards this weekend.

I read somewhere, that the rotation isn’t doing too well. Hey….I brought in a starter last season. What do the fans expect…. a new one every year? Ummm oh yeah….they had to send him to the bullpen….hmmm that one is on me I guess

I hope that the other starters pick it up some. I think I thought that they would be good enough for us to win the NLC. I wonder how many games we are behind? It must be a lot because I keep getting phone calls from disgruntled fans. On second thought, I’ll check the standings on Thursday.

Hey, I signed that catcher and gave him a pretty good contract… I think? Now I’m hearing that my new catcher can’t catch and his offense ain’t too good either. (WTF) I guess that’s my bad too…… I hope that he turns it around soon.

Well, we still have our general manager and field boss to blame this on. What am I worried about? The fans are still pouring into the park which keeps the boss off my back and I hope I can keep it that way. I think he still likes me. Why should I be troubled? I have a lot of hopes and dreams to look forward to.(fluffs up his pillow again) puts a smile on his face….. hums “Sweet Dreams” by Patsy Kline….. What? who me? worry? Nonsense…. ZZZZZZZZ

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Haha!…”I think he still likes me”…That Johnny’s a genuine corker!

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Marmol experiment isn’t working. I say ‘experiment’ because I think they wanted to see what would happen if they brought in a manger who would play players based on their intensity, determination, and hard work, rather than their talent and track record. Also, they wanted a manger who would fully utilize the minor league system which is what Oli has done. IMO, this is an innovative approach, and the front office, including Mozeliak, should be commended for having the courage to try something innovative. The problem is that not all innovations work out for the best, and clearly, this one is not working out.

I agree with 14NyquisT. Let Oli finish up the season, then bring in a new manager. The new manager and the front office can figure out who should be the next pitching coach, whether that’s Dusty Blake or someone else.

BTW, Is there somebody who can explain why Yadi isn’t being talked about as the manager for 2024? This seems like a no brainier to me, yet it’s hardly being discussed.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t view the Marmol hire as any different than the Matheny or Shildt hires. An experienced manager that the front office can control. It hasn’t worked but the thought process from the front office was the same. The next hire will be a rookie internal guy too.

1td has mentioned Yadi as someone who should be considered. I think it would definitely be interesting but Yadi might be too combustible for the polo shirt and loafers crowd upstairs.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

It has finally matriculated up to St. Louis.

Huh oh. 1td might have some competition from gscott as biggest Hank Stram fan around here.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Yadi is too happy having fun in Puerto Rico with his money. No way he wants to manage at least not for now. His managing of the Puerto Rico was pretty bad.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I agree that Yadi is not want Mo wants. I think Yadi is the exact opposite of what Mo wants. If there’s anything Mo has shown us, he doesn’t want seasoned, experienced, strong minded baseball guys with potentially competing ideas to be an obstacle to the Mo-way of doing biz.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah, Euro, I posted a comment yesterday that suggested if Yadier Molina were hired as the Redbird field manager there’d be the genuine possibility of the major case squad eventually conducting a homicide investigation relating to the sudden disappearance of several Redbird executives. Johnny’s been around for a long while and like him or not, I’m reasonably certain that self survival is an instinct that he possesses…Haha!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I’m entirely sure plenty of you remember that Hank Stram and Jack Buck were longtime partners on the nation wide CBS radio broadcasts of Monday Night Football. Anyone who hasn’t seen and heard a nearly four minute long YouTube video entitled, “Hank Stram Wired in Super Bowl IV,” owes it to themselves to check it out. It’s one of the best sports clips I’ve ever seen.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hank Stram was a gem. As a longtime Chiefs fan he is one of my favorites.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

GS, I know you visit El birdos, so Im wondering if you post on arrowhead pride (sbnation)?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not in several years JJ. I may have once or twice a few years ago but I don’t really follow the Chiefs online like I do the Cardinals. I may go to Arrowhead this Fall and catch a game in person though.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gotcha

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There have been a few Molina haters here through the years (you know who you are). I think what we’re seeing now is that Molina was possibly a 10 win player on this team by himself. The team and especially the pitching staff is a shell of its former self now that he’s moved into retirement. The Cards tank job this year is gonna get Yadi into the Hall of Fame.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting that you brought that up stl25. I have been pondering why 2023 has been so different from 2022 when we won 93 games. Same manager, same front office, and similar roster with a few exceptions.

No Yadi
    No Albert
    No Quintana
    No Maddux

Is the absence of those four a big reason why we are in disarray? Especially the clubhouse presence.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To add to your list: there is a new Bench Coach (lost Skip to Miami) and a significant number of players participated in WBC (a big distraction IMO).

My bigger concern is who fixes this mess? Do you really want to rely on the people who got us into this jam? My guess it will take a lot more than changes in the roster.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Buck and Stram on those MNF broadcasts were better than the TV guys.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

It shocks me how many people on this thread and others still think we are gonna win the division this year! That’s not gonna happen! We are terrible! We will finish 4th at best in the worst division in baseball!

We must get starters for next season!
    Beiber
    Snell
    Nola
    Now we are ready for next year! How do we get them! IDK lol! But we are in deep do and time to take off the rose colored glasses and realize where we really are! 13 games below 500 and dropping like a log!

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Fortunately or unfortunately, I am old enough to remember watching Super Bowl IV live. Pretty sure none of the Stram mic’d up stuff was broadcast during the game, or I don’t remember it anyway. The Chiefs were my favorite AFL team. Add to that the Packers were my favorite NFL team, so you know I loved the outcome of Super Bowl IV. I really liked Stram, Dawson, Taylor, Garrett, Lanier, Buchanan, Stenerud, Bell, etc. Too many to list all of them, they were a team chock full of stars.

Bobby Bell was from my hometown, so I thought it was pretty neat as a preteen to have someone from our small town in the Super Bowl. He was a great athlete and later a HOFer. Stram said the guy was so good he could play all 22 positions on the field like a star.

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

There is one simple thing they could do that would probably add one win per week. Use your most effective relief pitcher, who also has the most innings pitched, in games in which you are leading in the middle innings.
    Last night, they put Stratton in there while behind, AGAIN.
    When your starting pitchers are only going 5 innings, that cries out for a middle relief guy that can go two full innings without melting down, who allows no more than one run. We have that guy, Stratton. But the computer says to use him only when we are losing!!!!

ZTR
    Participant

Free

We need a Herzog or a Luhnow to come in and replace Mo and fix this crap.

Mo and company have skated by in a weak division and been blessed with an extremely loyal fan base which masked a lot of problems.

The wheels have all come off and if you spend even a few minutes looking at the 40 man roster it’s apparent that the cupboard is bare.

Defense and pitching. Bill and Mo have built a team that has none.

Marmol is just Mo’s puppet – that’s apparent now. We may as well have a computer on one of those rolling stands for a manager.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice observation BrockLou.

2023 Stratton:

14 batters faced when tied (23 ops+ allowed)

23 batters faced when ahead (51 ops+ allowed)

93 batters faced when behind (80 ops+ allowed)

A role change seems in order.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 1,382 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.