Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Viewing 25 posts - 701 through 725 (of 2,872 total)
  • Author
    LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Or he’s just waiting till he has all his options before deciding…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He could easily stay in Miami one more year and get traded to the Dodgers next winter. They have at least $60M coming off of the books after next season.

shakenbake McBride
    Participant

Free

If Carson Kelly ends up getting traded how does Nick Ciuffo look as a defensive back up for Yadi?
    https://m.mlb.com/news/article/262486372/top-available-prospects-in-mlb-rule-5-draft/

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t know Ciuffo, but I like the thought of doing something different with a younger player vs. another Brayan Pena type who is at the end of the line. Even if Kelly stays, the catching ranks at the top of the system are not overloaded and injury help is usually needed eventually.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I like the Ciuffo idea compared to over spending to sign an overpaid vet for 2M, if Yadi get’s hurt then they’d be in quite a scramble though. I’m not against giving Kelly everyday playing time in AAA as an extra bonus.

Second question, would they be willing to give up the 40 man spot for him this early in the offseason?

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Andrew Knizner would be okay to replace Yadi in the event of an injury after, say, May-ish. With his AFL experience and A couple months of spring training and a month or two in AAA and he wouldn’t be a disaster behind the plate, ie at least replacement level production, especially if there is a solid veteran backup.

With Knizner and Kelly both being RH hitters, It may be prudent to add a LH-hitting backup catcher in the event one of them is traded this off-season. A ML-contract type if Knizner is retained or a MiLB-contract type catcher if Kelly is retained (Jose Lobaton)

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

The WORST thing that could happen to the Cardinals would be we don’t land Stanton and then:

1. The Cubs sign Darvish and lure Ohtani this offseason https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-cubs-shohei-ohtani-20171129-story.html
    https://m.mlb.com/news/article/262573300/cubs-would-love-to-add-shohei-ohtani-to-roster/

2. The Cubs sign Bryce Harper next offseason
    https://sports.yahoo.com/bryce-harper-kris-bryant-went-hockey-game-cubs-fans-lost-minds-051239822.html

We all know Theo Epstein can pitch a vision…

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Cardinals 2016:

That would be bass alright.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

I meant Bad..though maybe it’s bass too.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Saw the Adams was now a free agent, wonder if we have any thoughts about signing him back…probably not and all but…

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

If the Cardinals are going to go after a position player on the cheap, I would consider Travis Demeritte..

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/11/28/16710350/intriguing-names-unprotected-for-rule-5-draft-part-1

“Travis Demeritte, IF, Atlanta Braves – Acquired rather cheaply from the Texas Rangers in 2016 for pitchers Lucas Harrell and Dario Alvarez, Demeritte was a top 30 prospect with the Rangers and also with the Braves. His inclusion in the Rule 5 proceedings has less to do with his abilities and more with how many mouths there are to feed in the Braves’ system.

Demeritte can play anywhere in the infield and the 23-year old brings a power tool with promise. What he can do in the majors is to be determined, but someone may be willing to take the chance right now.”

https://m.mlb.com/news/article/262486372/top-available-prospects-in-mlb-rule-5-draft/

“Travis Demeritte, 2B/3B, Braves’ No. 12: Taken at the end of the first round of the 2013 Draft by the Rangers, Demeritte was sent to the Braves close to the 2016 Trade Deadline. His move to Double-A in 2017 was up and down, but while there is swing-and-miss, there also is power plus the ability to play second and third.”

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A Seattle blogger suggests a trade of reliever Nick Vincent for Randal Grichuk.

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2017/12/1/16674592/an-alternative-option-in-center-field-randal-grichuk

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Nick Ciuffo would be my second choice, even though he has not played above AA. I mean, he’d be backing up Yadi, and allowing Carson Kelly to play in AAA, so….

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/12/1/16724148/intriguing-names-unprotected-for-rule-5-draft-part-2

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Yeah, if the Cardinals could swing that trade before the Rule 5 draft, I would trade Grichuk for a reliever, not necessarily Vincent.

The best fits for Grichuk seem to be Seattle, Arizona, KC, SF

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Really curious trading Diaz for a low A outfielder. This is the bet offer they could get? I would rather have kept for middle imfield insurance. I can think of only 2 reasons they would do this. !) His salary wouldn’t be justifiable for someone who may not make the team. Or 2) THey need to clear a roster spot, maybe they have a free agent ready to sign, or An eye on someone exposed in the Rule 5 draft.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

They could be planning to sign Zack Cozart, they could be planning to try to get Travis Demeritte in the Rule 5.

The biggest reason appears to be they decided to move on from him, and getting something is better than non-tendering him.

shakenbake McBride
    Participant

Free
    Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Depending on where Carp ends up it might be a good idea to sign Adams to platoon at 1B with Martinez.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

If we want a backup for catcher again this season, i’d sign Carlos Ruiz. Sure he’s Yadi’s age or more, but he calls a great game, in fact, 4 no-hitters; has a World Series ring, good defensively. He’d be another veteran for the pitchers to trust throwing to and his bat would be serviceable. He should come cheap too.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wiley…he’s not a bad vet option, but i like Hanigan better, good defense, some pop in the bat, younger than Ruiz, knows his role, and played enough last year to feel confident enough to depend on him for a larger stretch if need be

I like Ruiz, i just think we might be able to get Hanigan on a minor league contract and i feel at his age Ruiz might want more of a sure thing or else he can just retire, Hanigan i think still might think he can earn a bigger role given the chance

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like the idea of a veteran backup catcher also. Seeing Kelly just sitting there on the bench drives me crazy. He either needs to go back to Memphis or include him in a big trade.

14NyquisT
    Participant

First off, I’m a Kelly fan. Secondly, I’ve been saying right along since the team gave Molina a 3-yr contract, and that the Cards should trade Kelly. It’s not fair to CK to be sitting on the bench after spending so many years climbing up the organizational ladder. If he takes off (likely IMO) and becomes an All-star so what, we still have Molina who has been treading water the last few seasons. There’s no reason to believe that he can’t revert to his glory years (not likely) that the FO saw fitting to extend him for. Then all those who clamored for the Cards to sign him will be crying in their beers.

I stopped be a Molina fan when he started displaying that “tail wags dog” attitude. Molina should have been offered a 1-year contract. If he wanted more he could have chosen to go to any other team instead of demanding the 3 years. He would have not received anything close to what the Card’s are giving him. I don’t know what the thought process was other than it kept the fan base happy. Me, I’m done with the ‘tude.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

As far as catching, if Nick Cuiffo drops to the Cardinals in the Rule 5 draft, he would be my preference for sitting behind Yadi since he has to spend all season on the major league roster anyway.

Kelly goes down to AAA, comes up if either Yadi or Cuiffo get hurt, comes up for double headers, etc.

OR Kelly can be used in a trade for a reliever, swapped with Colton Welker of the Rockies, etc.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Don’t forget that Kelly is a premier catching prospect, the Card’s first in over a decade. He is primo trade bait.

Viewing 25 posts - 701 through 725 (of 2,872 total)
  • The topic ‘Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018’ is closed to new replies.