Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

This topic contains 2,871 replies, has 53 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 2,826 through 2,850 (of 2,872 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

An interesting angle.

mspaid
    Participant

Jager:

Fowler is the right fielder, they have made that very clear. The lineup is set…all they have to do is find a relief pitcher and they are done.
    Every off-season they say they have resources and they say the same thing at the deadline. You’re right they need to start spending some of it but they never do and this year is no exception.
    Junior will out bid the big offers Goldschmidt will get next year from multiple teams.
    He is a one-year rental so they better win the WS in 2019 or they’ll have to start over again next off-season with Ozuna gone too.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

They are set until they unsettle things. The right message was sent to Fowler and O’Neill. They are battling for left-handed relief. The waters for Miller are too deep and troubling. Try Holland for three years. Smith would be the play, but the Giants want someone (Flaherty) we won’t give. Under those circumstances, doing nothing seems fine.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The death star is moving into position…

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think it comes down to the White Sox and the Yankees for MAchado…both seem keen for him, and while normally i would think he is al ock for NYY I think CWS have a shot with their young team especially if they can go out and get another starter…they will still have to ourpay NYY but i think it is a shot

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The next non-rumor that I predict will become a rumor for people who don’t check their sources is Cody Bellinger of the Dodgers.

The real rumor is that to supposedly make cap room for Harper, the Dodgers will look to trade one of their outfielders. Since Kemp is the big money guy, he is presumed to be most likely. Puig is in his final year before free agency, so could be a candidate. On the other hand, trading a minimum salary player like Bellinger would do nothing to help the problem and I’ve seen no rumors he would actually be made available.

Yet this writer spilled a lot of words devising a huge multi-player trade, anyway, one that he admits is not going to occur. That would be fine – if people really understand that.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2018/12/17/18144305/is-cody-bellinger-the-perfect-target-for-the-cardinals

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

NJ315
    Participant

Just out of curiosity…why such a big difference in the Brantley vs McCutchens contracts? I think at this point in their careers Brantley would be the better investment.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brantley barely played a half season of games in the last two years combined prior to 2018. That’s my guess. Cutch has been healthy every year of his career.

jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Cutch has double Brantleys total PA’s the last 3 seasons.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Brantley had shoulder surgery after diving for a ball (like Ozuna) one year and ankle surgery another year. Let’s not act like those are chronic conditions.

But it is sad, the Astros sign Brantely for 2/$32, the Cardinals sign Fowler for 5/$82.5. You can say McCutheon is an overpay at 3/$50, but still not near as bad as Fowler’s contract.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Just out of curiosity…why such a big difference in the Brantley vs McCutchens

Phils, Braves, White Sox

Brantley had 3 offers a month ago – I’m guessing he went with the team he felt had the best chance of winning a WS (though it seems like they need to do something with their pitching staff)

mspaid
    Participant

bccran:

I tried to respond on the thread where you asked me a question but some fo the threads say I must be logged when I already am. This one lets me post.

Ozuna: He had a crap year and when Mo called him out that ended any desire for Ozuna to play here. Plus they won’t pursue him.

Goldschmidt: They will make a four year offer but they won’t break the bank. Several teams will pay more and there will be a few who will offer six years. The Front Office will want him extended but they’ll get outbid. Yes, the last two year could be a slide to mediocrity. Many teams are not afraid to take the risk hoping that in the first four years it will pay off. Junior will not do that. He is petrified of a bad contract and a long one. Can’t say I blame him but if the Cardinals hope to compete with the Red Sox, Astros, Dodgers, Yankees, Indians and other very good teams then they’ll have to get over being timid. Major League ownership is brutally competitive and if you hope to succeed you can’t play to not lose. You can’t do it on the field or in the front office. You have to play to win and no Goldschmidt is not enough by himself. There’s still time and maybe they will be aggressive and add major talent. Fingers crossed.

jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

AAV’s are very similar. Cutch gets the 3rd season on past health and PA’s, imo.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Cutch got a bigger deal due to better health history.

2. Phillies overpaid for Cutch. They have been waiting several years to spend big and they are determined to do it. Their stash of cash is burning a hole in their pocket.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I saw DJ Peterson was released by the Reds minors.

He was a high pick, plays 3b, and had a pretty good last year in AAA hitting 16HRs and hitting over .275 He is still only 26. Might be worth a minor league deal or ST invite. I feel he never really got a good shot, and StL has a way of finding diamonds in the rough.

He strikes out a lot, and doesn’t walk a ton but still finds a way to keep the average up. Plays 1b and 3b.

With Wisdom gone I am curious how 3b works itself out at AAA, even with other options. This guy might be worth the VERY low risk gamble.

He definitely had no shot with the Reds and Votto and Suarez locked into spots with Senzel ahead anywhere there is an opening too.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jager asked:

With Wisdom gone I am curious how 3b works itself out at AAA, even with other options.

Here are the guys on the tentative Memphis roster already who can play third: Edman, Urias, Schrock and Robinson. Then you have Mendoza who only plays third, who they may want to move up from Springfield if they think Montero is ready for Double-A. And that does not count Munoz if he gets pushed off the St. Louis roster.

How many more third basemen do they need? They seem over-covered as it is.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Brantly comes out ahead if he perfoms. The third year he gets a qualifying offer or goes back on the market younger than Cutch.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

And if the Astros trade for Realmuto and sign Nelson Cruz, he might also get the WS premium. What is that, $50 million? LOL

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

D-Backs not optimistic about Greinke trade

And just a few weeks ago they were proclaiming they wouldn’t have to eat any money…

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Harvey to the Halos…. 14 million. Good for him.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian

I don’t think you can have too many guys that can hit. His ability play 1b also is helpful. Ravelo is a nice 1bman but I am thinking Knizner wont really be backing him up with Kelly out of the picture. Players i am sure can move around but i feel Robinson will be playing OF a lot. And I dont think Robinson was traded for to play at AAA, otherwise who cares what his handedness is. Munoz seems a lock for StL as we have no backup at SS other than Gyorko which is NOT a solution.

Which may serve as the most probably reason that I (and i am sure others) don’t think we are done moving youngsters or MLB guys, so i reserve being worried about having too much depth until ST arrives.

And in that case I say add guys if you can who seem like they may be good enough. Everything will work itself out.

Mendoza may be ready to move up if pushed by Montero or maybe they slow go it, one never knows.

The point is, the guys is available looks like h has a little bit of upside and almost no downside as he doesnt have to be on the 40man or anything. If he is too much at ST or not worth it at ST release him. HE knows the game at this point.

Memphis looks to be pretty impressive again though. I think they are gonna win it all again.

C- Knizner and Hudson?
    1-Ravelo and Robinson?
    2-Schrock/Urias/Edman
    3-Edman/Robinson
    SS-Urias/Sosa/Edman
    OF-Williams, Garcia, Randy, Lane, Robinson

However I think there are still moves involving some of these guys to be made

speaking of…

Do you think we could sell high on Lane Thomas as big part of a deal to get Will Smith from SF? They seem to need OF and power, and while JMart is on the block and might fit his OF play may make them wary

Lane seems valuable right now and while i am sure like that value too i wonder if we could use it to fill a more pressing hole if we arent going to be moving Fowler or ONeill let alone the idea of HArper addition still in play

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

When it is time to set real 25-man rosters, yes, they can have too many guys. Signing another at a position that is already overloaded does not make sense to me, unless it is very clear he is better than the guys they have.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Funny, I was thinking about that same exact trade this morning. Lane Thomas for Will Smith. The Giants may want more than that but since Smith only has one year of control they should temper their expectations.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Thomas plus a lower level pitcher should be enough for the one year of Smith…but i think Lane as the centerpiece should intrigue them i’d hope

i like Smith a lot, and with the other expiring contracts or arbs coming at the end of 2018 Smith would fit right into the mold of what seems to be happening with the rest of the team

I liek competition at ST, i dont like guys being handed AAA starting spots…the Cardinals tend to pick up some vets or minor league movers from outside the org. for competition at ST and I think DJPeterson would fit right into that mold…he isnt TOO old to still get a real shot if he proves himself too, and the potential openings for playing time post 2018 on the Cardinals big league may make him consider us a good place to take a shot with

sign him and cut him if he isnt worth it after ST, but you dont make the 25man calls until after ST so i dont see why more competition could hurt… this isnt a huge move or huge commitment to money either

Viewing 25 posts - 2,826 through 2,850 (of 2,872 total)

The topic ‘Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018’ is closed to new replies.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years