Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Viewing 25 posts - 726 through 750 (of 2,872 total)
  • Author
    Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I still think kelly stays… But what do I know.

One injury and yadi doesnt get his job back.

14NyquisT
    Participant

That would be too much $$ sitting on the bench.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I would be on board to acquire Welker.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Welker appears to be the Top 3B prospect that is blocked and the Cardinals could trade for…

Wiley
    Participant

Free

Nyquis, no organization in their right mind gives up one of the best at his position, especially when he’s still productive. You may not like Molina, but he’s one of the games very best and he takes immense pride in that. You don’t just throw away someone who has meant the world to his team for so long, so you can put in an untested rookie. Sure the signs are that Carson Kelly will be a good one, however, he has proven nothing at the major league level. He could be great or he could be a bust, we won’t know for a few years. Steve Young bided his time behind Joe Montana and still made the HOF. Carson studying under the master for another year can only help him when he’s handed the reins. In fact, in the long run it will help Kelly take the job from Yadier. Yadi is a Cardinal family heirloom because he has immense value even after his playing days are done.

shakenbake McBride
    Participant

Free
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agree completely with Wiley on Yadi.

14NyquisT
    Participant

My opinion…. Molina is overrated and has taken on a new persona with his selfish attitude. And those trots to first, a sign of little class.

NJ315
    Participant

The contract was stupid. They should have picked the option and take from there.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

The Cardinals signed a reliever from Japan – not the one we were thinking about!

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/cardinals-nearing-multi-year-deal-with-miles-mikolas.html

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

“The money on Miles Mikolas, from @Ken_Rosenthal and @JonHeyman: Two years and $15.5 million. Some executives were speculating he’d settle in around two years and $10 million. Lots of action on Mikolas drove the price up for the Cardinals.”

858booyah
    Participant

Free

He wasn’t a reliever in Japan. That’s our new starting pitcher.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Ahh…Yes, well maybe the Cardinals are SURE they are trading Wacha then…

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Or their keeping him and this is a depth move.

Hey really needed a starter regardless. Let’s hope our scouts in Asia know what up.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Folks, feel free to start a new thread on any credible rumor that includes the Cards. In this case, someone did start a Mikolas thread. Thanks to all for being active forum members!

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I keep seeing on these topics how signing Cozart and moving DeJong to a utility role is good. I am not understanding how Cozart’s 1 season with an OPS above .769, at almost age 32, makes him more valuable than DeJong. Someone please explain it to me.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Sure, I’ll bite. Cozart is an above average DEFENDER at SS throughout his career. And SS is a DEFENSIVE position.

Also, many are worried about DeJong regressing, just like Diaz did, because he doesn’t draw walks. If you send DeJong down to the minors, who takes his place?

The insurance against that unfortunate scenario is to sign somebody like Cozart for 2-3 until you are sure what you have in DeJong. It gives you depth at the SS position, it allows DeJong to get regular playing time, and it allows you to see what you really have in DeJong. If DeJong improves at the plate from last year, he and Cozart switch roles next year.

Now, Wong, Gyorko & Cozart all missed a decent amount of time last year, which means it is very likely both DeJong and Garcia will see significant playing time. You can also schedule each starter to have two days off per week, to keep DeJong & Garcia in a rhythm at the plate.

This has the added bonus of keeping everybody rested, so you can actually have a spring training. Remember Matheny not wanting to push the team in Spring Training so they can be rested for the Octobers they wound up having off?

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Do you think Cozart would sign here if he thought he wouldn’t be the starting SS after 2018 or that he would have to share the starting duties with DeJong and Garcia. If you include 3B in the mix, there are 486 possible starts for 5 players and that doesn’t include Carpenter. If you only give Garcia 50 starts, that leaves around 110 starts apiece for the other 4.

Is Cozart’s defense, at this time, good enough to justify him starting over DeJong if Cozart reverts back to his pre-2017 batting? DeJong played slightly above average defense from what I can recall the experts saying.

I agree that the Cardinals don’t have enough depth at SS but I don’t think Cozart with his salary is the answer. Either you acquire an elite defender or go with DeJong.

mbusapp
    Participant

Free

Do you think we will see the Cards trade away some of there surplus international bonus pool money? It has to be hard to use it all when you cannot offer more than 300k.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals had $5.75M this year in pool money. Clubs can trade for up to 75 percent of their original pool allotment and are allowed to trade away their entire pool.

They already have sold some of it off to the Red Sox and they signed around 10 players back in July as well. I don’t know what they have left.

St. Louis Cardinals:
    Adanson Cruz, of, Domincian Republic, $300,000.
    Sander Mora, ss, Venezuela
    Jesus Orrechia, c, Venezuela
    Joerlin de los Santos, of, Dominican Republic, $250,000.
    Darlyn Del Villar, ss, Dominican Republic
    Leudy Pena, of, Dominican Republic, $300,000.
    Jose Zapata, c, Venezuela
    Diowill Burgos, of, Dominican Republic, $300,000.
    Jesus Cruz, rhp, Mexico
    Gustavo Rodriguez, of, Dominican Republic
    Luis Rodriguez, c, Venezuela

Boston also acquired more pool space from the Cardinals in exchange for minor league infielders Imeldo Diaz and Stanley Espinal. Specific financial terms weren’t announced for either trade.

Regarding Cozart, I figured they would sign him in the event that Wong or Gyorko get included in a trade. DeJong moves back to his natural position of 3B. I don’t think DeJong will be a SS long-term, but he’s fine for now.

If you trade Wong/Gyorko and don’t get a 3B (Donaldson, Longoria) or 2B (Gordon) back, then Cozart would make a lot of sense.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

According to Fangraphs, Cozart had a UZR/150 of 6.2 to DeJong’s 3.1. There were six shortstops that had a higher UZR/150.

By DRS, Cozart had 2 and DeJong had 0.

Finally, as for Cozart’s breakout year – it happened in a record year for home runs. What would DeJong’s slash line look without his home runs? Would people be as enamored with him?

As to whether Cozart would accept a backup role. I don’t know. But I would prioritize trying to sign him rather than trying to trade for Longoria.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cards also signed five more international players in September for a total of 15 in this signing period. I announced the last five here ($): https://thecardinalnation.com/cardinals-add-five-international-players/

I don’t have all the signing bonuses, but what I know has been spent is approaching half the budget. Money went to Seattle in the Leake trade. As noted, we don’t know how much money moved to the Red Sox. So the financial picture is incomplete.

I just made a note to write an article to include what I know about international bonus money and players signed.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In a discussion of defense, I like to cite the SABR Defensive Index, as it is a group of defensive measures vetted by the best minds and is widely accepted – to the point it is used as 25% of Gold Glove Award scoring.

This year among NL shortstops, DeJong was sixth with an SDI of 1.7. Cozart was eighth at 1.1. Top score was Addison Russell at 8.3. GG winner Brandon Crawford was 4th at 4.8. AL leaders were Andrelton Simmons (18.8 – GG) and Elvis Andrus (10.1).

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So why gripe because DeJong hits homeruns?He plays above average defense at SS .His walk rate was terrible his first 100 ABs ( he walked once) after tthat his BB rate increased quite a bit ( he still can improve it).I see no reason he can`t improve as he makes adjustments.He kept his average in the .280 area and played okay defense for a guy who has been a 3B mostly before 207.Gyorko is a okay 3B but lacks mobility and range.Carpenter is terrible at 3B and barely adequate at 1B so i like the supersub idea for him.If Cards got a excellent defense first SS and moved DeJong to 3B and used Gyorko and Carpenter as supersubs/platoon/semi -regular starters that would be expensive but would be a solid bench and keep Greg Garcia doing what he does best pinch-hitting.
    I have read Oakland wants a RH hitting OF and really like Piscotty so make a deal for whatever young guy you can get.
    I think Cards trade with TB for Alex Colome RHP,Jake Odorizzi RHsP and Longoria 3B for A couple of Cards pitchers Rowan Wick,John Gant,Sam Tuivailala and and Gyorko to replace Longoria and Breyvic Valera as a cheap INF guy for TB.
    Tampa Bay gets Longoria`s money off their books before he becomes a 10-5 man and Odorizzi and Colome arbitration cost off the books.In return they could get Gyorko 9.0 million th2018,13.0 million 2019.Gant as a SP/RP.
    Wick as bullpen guy
    Tuivailala as bullpen guy who is out of options.
    Valera as a backup inf type/depth,Tampa saves probably close to 18-20 million on payroll and gets younger/cheaper players.
    Cards get ;
    Odorizzi RHP -dependeable SP for 2 years
    Colome RHP-closer for 3 years
    Longoria 3B-Cards taking a chance with counting on him to play okay defense and hit .
    Just speculation on my part but i think TB would seriously consider this.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Are we really going to target another SP with Mikolas signed? They said he is locked in the rotation.

I am not against an upgrade to the rotation with Odo or Archer etc….but a deal of Longoria + Colome seems more likely…and we have heard interest in Colome and even a little on Longoria but barely a peep about Odo or Archer…(though im sure they’d be interested to some degree)

Longoria + Colome

then a signing or trade for another bat might work to upgrade the offense…but if Longoria is supposed to be the fear inducing middle of the order bat that is just not who he is anymore (maybe never was)

I am curious what the plan B really is for not getting Stanton…Longoria obviously doesnt seem to be the same type at all, so that would seem to me to be other impact targets

but if Longoria is only part of the solution who are the other options?

Donaldson (doesnt seem likely)
    Abreu i coudl see paired with Longoria to make a nice middle of the order upgrade though…it would require moving others already in current spots)

I MAYBE see the Marlins moving Ozuna or Yelich….but i thought the whole point of trading Stanton was sso they didnt have to move all the other players…Yelich, Ozuna, Realmuto, Gordon, Bour,…then adding Shaw and Arroyo from the Giants in potential deal…isnt a bad little core…if they can add a little pitching they coudl makes some waves on the earlier side…i dont think that if they miss on Stanton we should assume Ozuna or Yelich is on the table without very hefty losses to acquire them

Now should Stanton stay…then i’d be all over them for multiple players…i’d be happy to add Yelich and Ozuna and Realmuto (even for Realmuto to play 1b if it came to that)

so…..
    -add Mikolas
    -swing and miss on Stanton…he goes to the Giants…
    -trade for Longoria and Colome (Carp or Wong or Gyorko in deal? vombined with young pitching)
    -trade for Abreu (Kelly and Grichuk in deal)
    -sign backup FA (Hanigan) or Rule 5 backup catcher pick
    -trade Piscotty to A’s for Jorge Mateo (Speedster backup SS/OF prospect for us)

Fowler,Pham,Abreu,Longoria,DeJong,Yadi,Bader/Sierra,Wong
    CMart,Wacha,Weaver,Waino,Mikolas…. Reyes, Flaherty, Hudson waiting

i dunno…

Viewing 25 posts - 726 through 750 (of 2,872 total)
  • The topic ‘Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018’ is closed to new replies.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years