Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

This topic contains 2,871 replies, has 53 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 2,851 through 2,872 (of 2,872 total)
  • Author
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I wont be surprised if Mendoza gets moved to 2B. Obviously he has the glove for 3rd but it may play well at 2B as well and his bat may profile better there as well.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s an interesting idea CC, but if EMendoza stays at 3B there’s an opening at AAA now that Wisdom has been moved. 2B seems to be set with Wong STL and Shrock/Urias at MEM. I would very much like to see how Mendoza makes out at AAA. He jumped from SC to SPFD in two seasons and at 22 MEM will be a challenge but its one that Mendoza will have to accept because of who is behind him.

I like his 6′-2″ frame at 3B but like you pointed out, he’ll need to show more HR strength. He has never played at 2B but I think a few games there could not hurt his versatility which presently is lacking.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

From “Birds on the Black”: Kyle Reis:

Evan Mendoza struggled at Springfield. But you know what never struggled? His defense. Mendoza is a major league caliber, above-average defensive third basemen. The arm is well-above-average. Range, too. Also, he possesses what people 60 and older refer to as “the want-to”, which is just a way of saying that Mendoza will do anything that he can to make the defensive play. Go ahead and mark it down; unless things get extremely weird in his development, he’s going to be a good defensive third baseman.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Not doubting Mendoza at 3rd but just seeing how the pieces might better fit together. If Montero is at AA I think the logical move is Mendoza to 2B. He may be above average there in a short period of time as well.

It has been discussed elsewhere that the AAA infield already looks crowded. Mendoza doesn’t appear quite ready bat wise for AAA yet either. As there appear to be no other priority player at 2B at AA it seems like a logical landing spot for Mendoza.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This guy from mlb.com lists Schrock as a player to watch for 2019.

Max Schrock, 2B, Cardinals’ No. 11
    After hitting .324 across his first three pro seasons, Schrock uncharacteristically slashed just .249/.296/.331 last year over 114 games in the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League. While some of Schrock’s struggles can be attributed to poor luck (.260 BABIP), he did experience a dip in his line-drive rate (from 23.1 percent to 19.0) and employed a more pull-heavy approach after he had excelled at using the entire field in previous years. Beyond that, however, Schrock once again posted strong strikeout and walk rates, rarely swung and missed (4.3 percent whiff rate) and hit the ball in the air more often. So don’t be surprised if the 24-year-old returns to his pre-2018 form in ’19.

Mike Rosenbaum is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter at @GoldenSombrero.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Interesting

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

So the A’s traded a middling reliever and a comp pick for a competent left side IF who could have more in the tank. Either the value on every day players has gone down or something is up with the bullpen guys, cause that seems like little return. No wonder we can’t trade Jmart.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great trade for the A’s. I love Profar. I wish we could have got him.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Montero could stay at A+ for the first month while it gets sorted out too.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

AT 20 y.o. Montero would be better served starting out at PB. However if Mendoza moves up to play 3B at MEM, that Springfield infield will be a sorry bunch. As it is the S-Cards INF roster is a little shabby. I see Robertson moving up to play SS and maybe newly-acquired Triunfel will be needed at 2B. Trosclair could be an option at 1B/2B if the organization wants to promote him also.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

They still have Ravelo and Nogowski at 1B. No room for Trosclair to move up. Agree that Springfield looks shaky, though all the more reason to challenge guys like Carlson and Montero, IMO.

Just too many infielders with Triple-A experience and higher priority for Mendoza to fit at Memphis unless there are some injuries, releases or trades.

jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Patrick Wisdom likes the Profar trade very much thank you!

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here’s a comment made by Matt Kelly at MLB.com:
    ‘As a hitter, there’s not much that separates Martinez from the biggest stars in the game, and an American League team can maximize his value by using him at the designated hitter spot.’
    Here’s a link to the piece:
    https://www.mlb.com/news/which-al-teams-should-trade-for-jose-martinez/c-301605242

Adding JMart’s bat and the idea that he’s cheap and controllable makes it seem like he would have a very high trade value. I can only guess that potential trading partners for JMart don’t see it that way, otherwise he’d be gone already. If the Cardinals were to package JMart and a starting pitcher, the Rays should be willing to make an impressive offer in return. But that would likely be only prospects, albeit very high end prospects.

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes to just keep JMart which is what many others are already saying. Given the short leash on pitchers nowadays, he would likely get an AB in almost every game.

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Even though Martinez is a very good hitter, if the Cardinals could package him and a starting pitcher for high quality prospects that help us for the future, I say make the trade. I don’t see that he helps us enough now as compared to giving us an upgrade to our future lineup. It’s time to use our assets wisely. Make 2 for 1 trades or 3 for 1 or 2 trades that moves us closer to elite prospects.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

No one loves prospects more than me but a guy like JMart is just the type of player elite teams have. A high quality, experienced bench bat. If they are all in on 2019 they dont trade JMart for prospects.

I think they can be patient in looking for what they want for JMart. If they dont get an elite player in return before the season starts they can wait and make sure Fowler/O’Neill are uo to speed in RF. They can make sure no one gets injured early and needs to have a fill in acquired. I dont think JMart’s value will go down. Theu can be patient.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have come around to thinking they should keep him as well. I was in the trade him camp at one time but if his trade value isn’t greater than has been reported we should keep him. Hitters like him that are making the league minimum are very hard to come by. He could be a lethal bat off of the bench and spot starter for us.

jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Rut-roh, the 4 man bench just got real crowded.

Bozo as a 4th OF makes Fowler the backup CF? We really want to go there?

Bozo, backup C, Munoz as backup SS / utility and 8mil Gyorko. Today that sends O’Neil to AAA, and it’s a RH hitting bench.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just a guess….but I think if we sent JMart and Gant to Tampa Bay, the Rays would be at least 5 wins better. The Rays already have Willy Adames to play short for them, so why not ask for Franco, plus Brandon Lowe.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I can’t find anything on this so this seemed like the best place to ask this, is there anything in the CBA that would prevent the Cards from simply ripping up Goldy’s current deal and just signing him to a 5 or 6 year deal now vs. having to add it on? They have more than plenty of money to spend in 2019, so wouldn’t it make sense to pay up now and have it taper off when he’s 34-36?

If it would take 140M over 5 after this deal, plus the 14.5M this year would be essentially a 154.5M deal.

2019 – 40M
    2020 – 35M (and they sign Rendon for 2B)
    2021 – 30M
    2022 – 20M
    2023 – 15M
    2024 – 14.5M

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, I think that would be possible.

Viewing 22 posts - 2,851 through 2,872 (of 2,872 total)

The topic ‘Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018’ is closed to new replies.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years