Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Viewing 23 posts - 1,951 through 1,973 (of 1,973 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

25, Hudson would be on the table for Kiriloff, IMO.

Mud, I don’t see the need for O’Neill if you acquire Kiriloff. We would have too many OFs and no place to play them.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like the idea of a Pederson FA signing. Our team slg% needs help.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Say, Hudson and O’Neill for Kiriloff and a prospect. Trade Carlos for lower level prospects who can fill the system up. Sign Pederson 1 yr/$6M. Carlson and Kiriloff start in Memphis, called up when they’re ready or needed. Salary stays flattish. You prep to move on from Carp and Wong after 2021, with Edman shifting to 2nd and hopefully Gorman or Montero being ready for 3rd. If that’s absolutely not gonna happen then maybe you resign Wong or find a stopgap. Carlson-Kiriloff-Gorman-Montero could be an incredible 1-4 in a few years. All have good to great hitting upside.

2B Wong
    3B Edman
    1B Goldy
    SS Dejong
    DH Carp/OFer
    LF Pederson/Thomas
    C Yadi
    RF Fowler/Kiriloff
    CF Bader/Carlson

Knizner
    Sosa
    Ravelo

Flaherty
    Waino
    Mikolas
    Kim
    Gomber/Oviedo/Ponce/Woodford

Miller
    Gallegos
    Gant
    Brebbia
    Reyes
    Cabrera
    Helsley
    Hicks
    Whitley
    Webb
    Fernandez

The rotation becomes a bit thin and prone to injury or regression. The bullpen might be dominant though. Maybe you give Reyes another look at starting. If he can throw strikes, he’s a top of the rotation type guy. Then you look for Liberatore, Thompson or Rondon to progress and be ready for late season call ups.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Just my opinion, but I think Hudson is being undervalued. He is our number two starter and he’s only going to get better. I like him better than our own Miles Mikolas. I don’t think a number two starter for an unproven outfield prospect is a fair trade. One other comment is that Julio Rodriguez with the Mariners could turn out to be as good as, or maybe even better than Kirilloff. I wouldn’t mind trading for Rodriguez. We definitely need to trade some pitching or we’re going to lose a good pitcher in the Rule 5 draft or end up giving away a good pitcher.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mud, I like Hudson too…but to get elite talent, you have to give up a lot. Kiriloff happens to play a position that the Twins have lots of good players at currently and has produced great numbers but isn’t considered a precocious take like Wander Franco or Julio Rodriguez. Those types of talents basically never get traded for anything short of a megastar with multiple years of control. So…Jack Flaherty types. I wouldn’t see Rodriguez as a reasonable trade target, as he’s probably a couple years out to arrive at all, and we need a RF for 2022 at the minimum.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some in the saber crowd were convinced that Hudson would regress in 2020. As I see it, a problem with any kind of backward looking analysis is that it incorrectly assumes players (especially younger, less experienced ones) won’t adjust and improve. Hudson already led the entire league in ground ball percentage last year and with this defense, he already had a good base. More consistent strike throwing seems to be the final step for so many, and Hudson is no exception.

Participant

Free

Stlcard25, Hudson and O’Neill for Kiriloff and Gordon. Gordon could be the replacement for Wong and leaves Edman to fill 3B until someone is ready to take it over.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good idea, Forsch. It seems that some Twins fans have soured a little on Gordon. Not sure why. He’d be worth a shot at least.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Anyone worried that Kiriloff only had a very average season at Double-A in 2019? He has fallen a bit on national prospect lists.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Jim Bowden had a piece in The Athletic today ranking the top 15 free agents this winter. He has Springer at number 3 and lists the Cardinals as the best fit.

I agree he would be a good fit on the field, however, I do not think he will be a good fit in the budget, therefore, I don’t see it happening.

https://theathletic.com/2057659/2020/09/11/bowden-an-early-ranking-of-the-top-15-free-agents-this-offseason/

3. George Springer, CF, Houston Astros
    2020 stats:
    Slash line: .241/.352/.474 HR: 8 RBI: 22 OPS+: 120 WAR: 0.9

Springer has hit 20 or more home runs in five of his six major-league seasons coming into this year, including 39 home runs in 2019. His career slash line is .268/.360/.487 with a career OPS+ of 130. His postseason production has been off the charts, including a career .362 on-base percentage with 15 home runs and 28 runs batted in over 50 games and 232 plate appearances. Those big game success stories will increase his free-agent value. Although he’s played mostly center field for the Astros over the past few years, I’d expect he’ll be signed by someone to exclusively play right field.

Teams with a need: Astros, Rangers, Indians, Nationals, Brewers, Diamondbacks

Early best fit: Cardinals

Participant

Free

Brian, considering he had wrist issues in 2019, I am not too concerned about the drop in production. He is still considered to be a good hitter. He hit .283 in AA last year. Dylan Carlson hit .281 in AA last year. I know Carlson showed more power but Kirilloff has shown a little better contact skills and his OPS has been higher every year except last year.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Anyone worried that Kiriloff only had a very average season at Double-A in 2019? He has fallen a bit on national prospect lists.

As mentioned above, he started season with a wrist injury that sort of harpooned his early season. He was hitting .240 at the end of May. He had a couple of good games in early June, then went back on the DL again. When he returned, he played better, hitting .289 with a 120 wRC+. Not bad for shaking off what is one of the harder injuries for a hitter to come back from (see Montero, Eleuris). His .333 and .362 averages in half a season each in the Midwest and Florida State League stand out to me.

I’ll also add that he seems to come from a good family, has a strong faith and is married with a child at 22. While that’s not a guarantee of anything, it speaks to me that he’s got his head on straight and is willing to work hard and take responsibility. Those seem to be traits that Cards fans admire, as do I.

Plus, suburban Pittsburgh has been good to Cards with regards to sweet lefty swinging outfield/potential 1B types in the past ..😁

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks to all for the Kiriloff background. The injury explains last season but that means so far that he has yet to post a true standout season above A-ball. I would be worried if the Twins made him available.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Never happen, but, let Yadi and Kolten walk, reclaiming ~30mil of the 2020 budget. Go after Realmuto HARD. Plug Edman in at 2B and when Carp buries himself at 3B again, use Schrock and Sosa off the bench at 2B. Or, just add around the edges and be the same club as 2020, just older.

Participant

Free

Brian, I think the only way Kirilloff becomes available is that you pry him away from Minnesota. They might trade him because they still have OF prospects.

Participant

Paid - Annual

JJ, like you said your scenario won’t happen. Yadi will be here if he wants to be and I assume he does.

Unless the Cardinals are willing to eat a chunk of the contracts:

CMart is untradeable.
    Mikolas is untradeable.
    Fowler is untradeable.
    Carp is untradeable.
    A. Miller is untradeable.

The only opportunity to save some salary would be not to bring Wong back. But then you have to factor in all of our arbitration raises.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jj, funny you mention Sosa. I was just thinking about him as the Justin Williams of the infield. Among the many to flow through the 40-man roster this year, only Sosa and Elehuris Montero did not play with St. Louis. Sosa will be out of minor league options next spring. Hard to see his future here.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With Yadi, it depends on STL’s offer. He may get all offended like Albert did if it’s not enough $ in his opinion, and he’s already stated he’s open to playing elsewhere.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With Sosa, he’s next seasons Ravelo. Out of options and rides the bench, but I’d also prefer an infield utility rather than Ravelo’s 1B/DH role. I can see Sosa on next seasons roster getting his shot like Ravelo has.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It doesn’t concern you that Sosa did not get a single call up this season? He never even made a taxi squad. Every time, it was Schrock instead. I remain a firm believer that the organization’s actions (or non-actions) are more important than their words. For me, unless Sosa has an unknown injury, his stock appears to be way down.

Edman now has shown he can be an adequate reserve SS, reducing Sosa’s major benefit.

P.S. Remember that active rosters are likely to go back to 26 next year. And if Miller returns, one IF spot is used. While trading Wong is certainly an option, I will believe it when I see it.

In other words, I don’t see room for them to carry Sosa.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m mentioning Sosa in a scenario where Wong is gone and Edman has moved to 3B, Carp as a on paper DH and Schrock / Sosa coming off the bench platooning at 2B.

His stock was last established w/a .801 ops at Memphis in a full season and a good ST if memory serves, if it fell from there (somehow) it’s news to me. Heck, maybe he gets DFA’d this winter, i’m just going off his games.

Participant

Paid - Annual

With Yadi, it depends on STL’s offer. He may get all offended like Albert did if it’s not enough $ in his opinion, and he’s already stated he’s open to playing elsewhere.

I could see him getting offended but his statement about playing elsewhere is probably a bluff. If he did go elsewhere I would consider it a lucky break for the Cardinals payroll wise. I think Yadi is still a valuable member of the team but only at a certain price point. If he decides to bolt we can plug Knizer into the position then have money left over to get a big OF bat.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

all,

Many have trouble seeing Yadi not returning. Many have trouble seeing Wong not returning. A. Miller had his option vest. Martinez has become another we will have to play off the roster, along with Carpenter and Fowler. Most believe Wainwright will return. Arb raises will continue to happen.

The budget for next season is tight, yet we all conjure up scenarios where stl adds an impact bat this winter. We just can’t keep everyone and still add an impact bat on the current player budget. To add that bat, we evidently must subtract first, even if it’s legacy players or fan favorites the FO seems attached to.

At least it’s fun to talk baseball, even if we’re kidding ourselves about an impact addition to the lineup.

Viewing 23 posts - 1,951 through 1,973 (of 1,973 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years