Community 2022 Top Prospect Voting

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Community 2022 Top Prospect Voting

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 467 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Since no one else has started this, I figured I would and that I’d compile things again this year. To keep us on schedule, we are going to run things as follows: we will give folks a few days to get their bearings in this thread, then we will do 1 per day until the top 10 are completed, then 5 every 3 days until we decide to quit (probably around #50). The complete schedule will be posted in the next reply to this thread.

A reminder of who we voted for last year:

Community 2021 Top 50 Prospect Voting

Prospects from last year’s list no longer eligible:

Dylan Carlson (we didn’t vote for him but he was technically eligible)
    Andrew Knizner
    Johan Oviedo
    Edmundo Sosa
    Kodi Whitley (he is under the 50 IP usually used, but he has over a year of service time so I’m gonna make this call)

Traded/Retired:

Elehuris Montero
    Toney Locey
    Mateo Gil
    Steven Gingery

MiLB Free Agents we are leaving in for now (will be dropped from the list if they sign with other teams):

Fabian Blanco
    Leandro Cedeno
    Diego Cordero
    Salvador Justo
    Dennis Ortega
    Ian Oxnevad
    Nick Plummer
    Ramon Santos
    Jacob Schlesener
    Justin Williams

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Complete schedule of Voting (Voting ends at 8 PM EST on each day):

#1-Nov 11-14
    #2-Nov 15
    #3-Nov 16
    #4-Nov 17
    #5-Nov 18
    #6-Nov 19
    #7-Nov 20
    #8-Nov 21
    #9-Nov 22
    #10-Nov 23
    #11-15-Ends Nov 26
    #16-20-Ends Nov 29
    #21-25-Ends Dec 2
    #26-30-Ends Dec 5
    #31-35-Ends Dec 8
    #36-40-Ends Dec 11
    #41-45-Ends Dec 14
    #46-50-Ends Dec 17
    #51-55-Ends Dec 20
    #56-60-Ends Dec 23

Any extra players listed at this time will be added to fill the end of the list.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Voting for the #1 prospect is now OPEN.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for doing this again 25. You are very organized.

My number 1 vote goes to Nolan Gorman.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Welcome back for our 15th annual Community Top 50 St. Louis Cardinals Prospect vote. We are indeed in good hands with StlCard25 steering the ship and Scotty waiting in the wings if our good captain should tire. Indeed, I think our #1 prospect should pretty much garner a clean sweep of the Cardinal Nation vote. My confident nod goes to Nolan Brian Gorman.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Nolan Gorman #1

lrcardinal
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Definitely, Nolan Gorman #1.

bccran
    Participant

Thanks for starting this and running it, 25! Great service to the forum. My pick for #1 is Matt Liberatore.

flood21
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Gorman # 1

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Gorman gets my #1 vote as well.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Kodi Whitley (he is under the 50 IP usually used, but he has over a year of service time so I’m gonna make this call)

Rookie status is lost at 45 days accrued during non-expanded roster period, so yes, seems like Whitley shouldn’t be eligible.

Curious how most determine their votes. Is it as simple as who you think will eventually have the best MLB career? Maybe something like who would accumulate the most WAR (to put it in terms of a modern metric)? Or are there other ideas?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m tempted by Jordan Walker at #1, myself? Anyone else? I’m not making my official pick just yet, but the potential is huge. 19 year olds don’t obliterate the FSL like he did and then just step up to high A without missing much of a beat. While I project Gorman to be a guy who could be a star (.800+ OPS, solid defense at 2B/3B), Walker has potential superstar (.900+ OPS, MVP votes at 1B after Goldy leaves) written all over him. Thoughts?

I’m also open to Libby…he reminds me so much of Waino. Good but not great FB, elite curve, pitchability and looks durable. He could be our ace for 15 years, with a floor of a #3 IMO.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I think Walker and Liberatore are viable choices.

bccran
    Participant

If I had to choose between Gorman and Walker to build a team around, it would be Walker. Highest ceiling in the system.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If I had to choose between Gorman and Walker to build a team around, it would be Walker. Highest ceiling in the system.

That’s sort of how I feel. Gorman looks to be the surer bet to contribute, and sooner. But Walker brings immense power and the ability to hit for average that we didn’t expect. Plus he’ll be at Springfield next year, where it isn’t completely impossible that he plays his way to St Louis at 20 years old. It wouldn’t be a surprise if these two hit 3-4 for the Cards for a while.

I’ll also add that Masyn Winn has a little bit of Francisco Lindor look to him, for a high ceiling as well. He’s gonna be a good defender at SS with excellent speed and his batting results were in line with expectations for a young prospect in their first full season of baseball. He could rise fast.

bccran
    Participant

Winn will now have a chance to really settle in as a full time position player. He’s been going back and forth for several years. Has a gun for an arm.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

The tipping factor towards Gorman, for me, was the fact that he may already be ready for the majors. Great power and good average at a young age. Walker is very close behind and if he does the same at AA as he has at the lower levels, he will leapfrog Gorman very quickly. Liberatore is a close third. He is almost ready himself at a young age. However, I do look at him like Waino. He doesn’t seem to have the best stuff of pitchers but above average of several and knows how to use it.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

I vote Gorman 1. I do look at proximity to majors. The biggest leap is from AAA to MLB. The Second biggest leap is to AA. Gorman has cleared that one and will likely be a contributor next year.

I also have concerns about Walkers ability to stick at 3rd.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m thinking that Walker may one day be Goldschmidt’s replacement.

Gorman @ No. 1.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Easy… Gorman #1. He made the transition to 2B, maybe give him a catcher’s mitt as a holiday gift.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I will vote Gorman at number one though I feel he might deserve to go a little higher.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Normally I favor players well up in the system, but I will go with Walker for #1.

I see Gorman as a platoon player who is going to have a lot of trouble with MLB pitching strategies and defensive alignments. I don’t know anything about his defense. Liberatore might be more than a serviceable starter some day. Its hard to tell given his trajectory in the minors.

grenadier1
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

#1 – Nolan Gorman – still has the lights out power and has begun to change his approach to get to it more effectively in games without sacrificing. His average/OBP has been much better than I would have guessed it would be at this point for a natural power hitter. Overall, he’s essentially what you hope Walker turns into.

TheBeave
    Participant

I’m voting Jordan Walker #1. His size, speed, contact and power to all fields, and baseball IQ is phenominal at his age. He played Lo & Hi A ball way beyond his years. He may not stick at 3B, but he has All-Star potential for many years.

Card4Ever
    Participant

Free

Jordan Walker #1

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 467 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.