Cardinals Team Hall of Fame

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals Team Hall of Fame

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 548 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

hey Pugsley you just swiped my picks, get your own. ah just messing with ya.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Last day today to vote!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I’m still not over the Wally Moon for Gino Cimoli trade.

Bill Virdon for Bobby Del Greco around that same time was another clunker. But Devine came in and got Curt Flood, which eased the pain.

And I still shudder thinking about Bobby Tolan for Vada Pinson. Did not care for letting Jose Cruz walk for chump change either.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As painful as some of the trades were, at least the team was winning in the 1960s. In the 70s, my feeling is the trades contributed to the down decade.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Steve Carlton was traded for salary issues, wasn’t he?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, a reported $10,000 disagreement with Gussie Busch.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

What was so bizarre about the Carlton/Wise deal, is that the Cardinals gave Wise the same amount Carlton was asking for, which I believe was $65,000. And of course the Phillies gave Steve that amount as well.

So after Busch got sick of Carlton’s supposed feelings of disrespect, he gave Wise the same amount. I guess because Wise had been at odds with the Phillies rather than the Cardinals, Gussie was okay giving hike the money.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not sure if one man can make our lousy 70’s teams’ better, but Carlton would have pitched every fifth day, and not pitched against them. Wow, the Cards finished 1.5 games back in 1973 and 1974. Carlton would definitely have made a difference in those years at least.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

IMO, that is the team’s worst trade ever, and it is not close – at least as bad for the Cards as Brock was good. Brock was a well-placed gamble on a high-potential player, while Carlton was already an established MLB starting pitcher – and left-handed, no less!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs got Ernie Broglio and we got a hall of famer.

Then we got Rick Wise and the Phillies got a hall of famer.

I guess things evened out eventually.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Keith Hernandez remains a polarizing candidate. Here is one view.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is another. How do you see it, readers?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another fan is disappointed that the DeWitts again did not make an Owner’s selection. Again, thoughts?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1982 willie
    Participant

well im glad mort cooper got in. totally deserving pick. id actually kinda forgot about him but you cant mention those 40s teams without him in the conversation. I didn’t vote for rolen this year mainly because I knew he would get in at a point so I went with older players. I tend to think guys from the nineties and before get overlooked most of time and will only be moreso going forward. I was never a big fan of isringhausen. seemed to blow as many games as he saved but oh well.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Neither of my voted players got in this year, Keith Hernandez and John Tudor. However, I can’t argue with Rolen, Izzy nor Cooper. Rolen is the second greatest third baseman in Cardinal history, and has a ring with the club. Izzy is the all-time saves leader, albeit “saves” is a stat that is derived from the way pitching staffs are utilized today. Cooper was the mainstay on the pitching staffs of the most successful run of clubs in Cardinal history. And his 1942 season is one of the greatest pitching seasons ever in team history, for the team widely considered the greatest Cardinal team ever.

As for non-playing personnel, I am baffled as to why Harry Caray has not been enshrined yet. He represented midwest baseball to fans all over the south, midwest and west for 25 years.

On the trade front and looking back, Wise was actually better than Carlton in ’73, so that season we likely would still have been a .500 club at best. But man, you look at those teams in the late ’70s and Carlton may have carried them over the hump, or at least kept them competitive with those good Pirate ball clubs.

The Cubs had real bad timing in getting Broglio. He had 6 and 7 WAR seasons as a Cardinal, and was one of the league’s better pitchers coming in to 1964. My thought is that had he come along later, he would have had Tommy John surgery and possibly been able to come back and be very good again. Devine had given the Cubs the choice of five pitchers in that deal. I regret not asking Bing at a SABR get-together one year, who the other four were. We sent Bobby Shantz in that deal, but I don’t think he was one of the five. My guess is they were Curt Simmons, Ray Washburn, maybe Ray Sadecki and perhaps Ron Taylor or Mike Cuellar.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m with Mike. I voted for Hernandez and Tudor. I don’t have a problem with Rolen as he was my third choice. Izzy getting in?? Meh.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

New SABR bio on George Kissell.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Well deserved on George Kissell. A generation of Cardinal players came through the organization under his mentor-ship. An icon in Cardinal lore, and one of the truly great unsung heroes in franchise history.

The franchise has had a few of those guys, going back to the likes of Mike Gonzales and Buzzy Wares, and on to Kissell and later Red Schoendienst (who did just about everything through his long career) and Jose Oquendo.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I’ve wondered over the years how different Cardinals history (not to mention Yankees history) might have been had Torre come along five years later with the support of the DeWitt ownership group rather than the end of the brewery regime. He was not given much to work with here.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have thought the same thing. The early to mid 90’s were dismal then Torre goes to New York and becomes a Yankee icon.

He was foreshadowing Luke Voit I guess. lol

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Getting even for Willie McGee, maybe…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From FOX Sports Midwest:

Cardinals Hall of Fame Induction To Air Tuesday on FOX Sports Midwest

FOX Sports Midwest will televise the St. Louis Cardinals’ 2019 Hall of Fame Induction ceremony on tape delay in a one-hour special debuting Tuesday, Aug. 27, at 5 p.m.

The ceremony will take place Saturday, Aug. 24, at 3 p.m. at FOX Sports Midwest Live! in Ballpark Village, and is free and open to the public. FOX Sports Midwest play-by-play announcer Dan McLaughlin will host.

Scott Rolen, Jason Isringhausen and Mort Cooper will be formally enshrined. This is the sixth class inducted since the team dedicated the Hall of Fame in April 2014.

Air dates for Cardinals Hall of Fame Induction special on FOX Sports Midwest
    Tuesday, Aug. 27 5 p.m.
    Wednesday, Aug. 28 10:30 p.m.
    Friday, Aug. 30 11 p.m.
    Saturday, Aug. 31 4:30 p.m.
    Monday, Sept. 2 10:30 p.m.
    Wednesday, Sept. 4 1 p.m.
    Thursday, Sept. 5 4 p.m.
    Thursday, Sept. 5 11 p.m.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 548 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.