Cardinals Team Hall of Fame

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals Team Hall of Fame

This topic contains 193 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Avatar GameCard 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 176 through 194 (of 194 total)
  • Author
    GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Will Harry Caray ever be elected to the Cardinals Hall of Fame? I grew up listening to him on KMOX which he was the Cardinal’s announcer for 25 years(much longer than the Cubs). Will ownership allow it?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As you surmise, Caray would have to be an ownership selection, the way the Hall is set up. We have no way of knowing how the DeWitts feel about Caray. Because he is not an eligible player, he does not come up in our meetings.

(I am merging this into the existing Hall of Fame thread.)

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Well, there is certainly precedent with Jack Buck and Mike Shannon being inducted. Harry Caray whether you like him or not belongs in the Cardinal Hall of Fame. He is a St. Louis native and is in Baseball’s Hall of Fame as a Ford Frick award winner.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There have been no ownership selections the last two years and to date, they have only tabbed three individuals – Shannon, George Kissell and Sam Breadon. The first two served under the current owners. FWIW, there are many other non-player candidates who I would consider along with Caray – if I could.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Historically I can’t think of one of the stature of Harry Caray.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

no harry carry was a cub, he should never be allowed in.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

He broadcast Cardinal games for 25 years and Cub games for 16. He is a native of St. Louis.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well GameCard, him broadcasting the cardinal games was nice but he chose to announce for the cubs. im not giving him a pass on that.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

He was basically fired by the Cardinals. He should be in the Cardinals Hall of Fame.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Yep, Harry didn’t go out on the best of terms. A lot of rumors, but the firing was a fact. Harry didn’t exactly take the high road either when he left. It’s probably a big stretch to expect an organization to reconcile both of the following:

1. Think poorly enough of a person to fire him.

2. AND think of highly enough of that same person to put him in their hall of fame.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On the other side of the coin, Caray’s issues were with Gussie Busch, not the DeWitts. Joe Torre was traded away as a player and fired as manager, but he is in the team Hall. So did Ken Boyer. Stuff happens, but time can heal old wounds.

Having said that, Harry wouldn’t be my next ownership selection if I owned the team.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Who would be?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Dave Duncan would probably be first because I hate to see deserving selections added after they pass away. Do it now.

Off the top of my head, here are others:
    Helene Britton
    Mike Gonzalez
    Buzzy Wares
    Butch Yatkeman
    France Laux
    Harry Caray
    Ernie Hayes

Should be included, but since the team considers pre-1892 to be a different team, they are shut out.
    Chris von der Ahe
    Charlie Comiskey

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I agree on Duncan. I don’t know how old you are but I am 70 and other than Stan Musial Harry was the face/voice of the Cardinals for 25 years. Remember in that time frame radio was how most people followed the Cardinals.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I have lobbied for Carey as well. He is in several photos at the museum. When I visited there in July I even told the staff that “this guy belongs here”, pointing to Harry in a photo. Harry lived and died Cardinal baseball for most of his life.

Gussie was emotional. He canned Harry in ‘69, then wanted him back in ‘76 when Jack went to a national show. By then though Harry had decided to stay in Chicago with the Sox, and later Jack’s show was cancelled after one season.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Back on page 1 of this thread, I explained why Frick (broadcasting) and Spink (print) Award winners are not considered Hall of Fame members by the Hall itself. Still a huge honor, however.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

BMike…I was there in June and I told the guy working in the Hall that Harry should be in there. He didn’t say anything but I got the feeling that Harry is persona non grata.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One would think that any grudges there would have been with Harry was with Busch, not the DeWitts. It isn’t a broadcaster prejudice as they were quick to put Shannon in.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I expect it has to do with his affiliation with the Cubs. Harry Caray as a Cardinal is legendary and if there wasn’t some controversy regarding him he would be in the Hall a long time ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 176 through 194 (of 194 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years