The Front Office's place in all of this chaos.

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum The Front Office's place in all of this chaos.

This topic contains 423 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 858booyah 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 424 total)
  • Author
    forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you look at Bader and O’Neill optimistically and Ozuna pessimistically, you could argue to let him walk. Considering Bader and O’Neill have shown nothing in the majors that proves they can get close to Ozuna’s production. The Cardinals would be wise to try to re-sign him. I don’t want him signed for 7 years though. 5 at the most with an option.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, I think you mistake hopes for promises.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Not going to post exact examples but Yadi basically spent all night last night telling instagram followers to “[expletive] off” for defending Jake Marisnick’s crushing hit at home plate on Jonathan Lucroy. Yadi was defending Lucroy’s play and criticizing Marisnick’s apparent dirty hit.

Anyways, I bring this up because I wonder what the fanbase thinks about the face of the team swearing at a large portion of fans and how, if any, they would have reacted if this would have been Tommy Pham doing the same thing. Obviously you’re not gonna be seeing Yadi traded away.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is not a good look for Yadi at all but the reality is that players with his resume can get away with things that others can’t. That doesn’t make it right but that is the way it is.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Any bad language doesn’t come across well, but other than Astros fans maybe, who in their right mind would defend Marisnick after seeing that video? Lucroy ended up being admitted to the hospital. I wonder if Molina took the troll bait? There are certainly internet tough guys out there looking to make trouble, though I am guessing whoever engaged with Molina aren’t “a large portion of fans”.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Whether it was a large portion of fans it certainly wasn’t a few and Carlos Correa even got involved. Again, there was a lot of colorful language in Yadi’s reply.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Yeah well clueless Carlos was defending the play and saying it was BS he got called out…not sure what he was watching but it was 100% dirty as can be and the guy MOVED way out of his way to TRUCK Lucroy….he needs suspended for a healthy amount of time.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Never liked catchers blocking the plate like the old days Hence the rule its dangerous for everybody . Catchers really at risk on that one.If that throw beats the runner to the plate catcher should be able to tag runner out. Don’t like catcher allowed outside of base line on that play ever
    Seen this year catcher has been allowed one foot over(his foot) over the line uf the throw takes him there. Got to saw Lucroy crossed the base line because of the throw Marsalis crossed into the field of play getting to the plate instead of taking the outside. Wrong on both parts but all that takes place in 1 second. So I say its on Marsalis for crossing into the field of play and Lucroy is going to the hospital Bet he wishes he had let that one go. As far as Yadi I say this is America and he can say what he wants I’m not offended..Go Cardinals!

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

I’m with Yadi, anyone defending Marisnick can @@## off. If someone did that to Altuve at 2B, I bet Astros fans would be singing a different tune.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

It is not a good look for Yadi at all but the reality is that players with his resume can get away with things that others can’t. That doesn’t make it right but that is the way it is.

I don’t need pillars of the community and saints of social media as ballplayers to be happy.

Right now I’d take a bunch of foul mouthed hooligans who run the town chasing skirts if they produced on the field. This franchise is so wrapped up in it’s image I’d imagine both Dewitt’s are in up in arms about the language. Good because I’m about there with the clown show that’s been assembled.

Lucky for Molina he’s about as untouchable as it gets in this league.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Glad he’s doing the superficial things to patch things up on this, but you can certainly see why he’d be passionate about that situation. What Marisnick did is not legal in the NFL, and why it would be anything other than an auto-suspension in baseball is beyond me. He changed direction, attacked the head, and had no regard for home plate at all. Why is it that acceptable to do at home plate (and to catchers), but not at all acceptable at any other base?

MLB has a chance to make a statement with this suspension. Will they be courageous and protect guys from head injuries, or will they slap the idiot on the wrist and say boys will be boys?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It amazes me the twists that some chose to focus on rather than the real, meaningful issue of player safety.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

I understand that Astros fans are going to be homers (I remember their contortions when signing the woman-beating closer while simultaneously stating they have a zero tolerance policy for domestic abuse), but how anyone can see what happened Lucroy and think that is part of the game is beyond me and an obscene statement. As I’ve said over and over again, let that same thing happen at 2B to Altuve, and see how fast people change their tune, even though the rule is not different.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not defending Marasnick at all. They can suspend him for the rest of the year for all I care.

I just doubt that the Cardinals want the “face of the franchise” to go on a expletive laden rant on twitter for the whole world to see but that is just my guess. Maybe they think it was cool. The fact that he apologized suggests otherwise.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

I’m sure they don’t want it, but I don’t think anyone is getting bent out of shape about Yadi checking morons online. Idiots don’t deserve the niceties of society.

Now, if Tommy Pham had cussed one time, I’m sure all here would want to ship him to a Siberian gulag, but that’s neither here nor there. We have no use for cost-controlled .800+ OPS outfielders here. We’ve got Dexter Fowler and potential.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bringing up Tommy Pham is nothing more than a weak attempt to criticize the organization when it has nothing to do with the real issue here, which is that one MLB player deliberately hurt another – and one player stood up and was critical of it.

Pham swore about his bosses because he felt personally disrespected. Tommy focused on Tommy. Molina sparred with internet trolls over a senseless injury that put another catcher in the hospital. Some cannot seem to distinguish the difference.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

The difference is far more in status than in the words or their direction.

Edit: And I understand and am okay with that.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Agreed. A respected player like Molina likely spoke out to put more pressure on MLB to take action to better protect other catchers from avoidable injury.

It is happening more and more. For example, Verlander is being critical of MLB for the juiced up baseball. What I wonder is which beach Tony Clark is vacationing on?

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Verlander talking about the ball being juiced at the same time he is MLB leader in HRs allowed is a bit self-serving. I was laughing when I saw that.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Verlander is 100% correct to

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Why does a juiced baseball affect Verlander more than other pitchers?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There are a myriad of safety issues MLB could be emphasizing. I would suggest the most important one would be safety netting all the way down each side of the field so fans could enjoy the game without threat of getting their heads bashed in. Of course looking up at the field and away from the cell phones would help too.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If it had been Posey in his prime they would have already had a rule change in place. This being LuCroy an aged veteran doesnt get the headline stories.

Remember LaRue getting kicked in the head during our CIN fight? pretty much ended his career, but not a peep from MLB on any kind of substantial scale.

I guarantee if it was done to Gary Sanchez, Contreras, or probably even buster Posey again the guy would have already been suspended.

It was an awful play and could be life and career threatening.

Yadi’s comments are spot on, and I expect and applaud when players stand up for things like this no matter the consequence.

People complain all day and night about players not playing with any passion or care, yet when they do show it they are lambasted for HOW they do it. You may not like expletives, but when something matters you expres with the vigor YOU see fit. That he did so in support of player safety should be applauded, and despite the language should be embraced.

using this as a means to find a way to attack Yadi or the FO is disrespectful and careless way to try to push an agenda

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

They don’t need a rule change here. That has already been done. This was as clear of a violation as any I have seen.

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 424 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years