The Cardinal Nation’s Top 50 Prospects for 2022

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum The Cardinal Nation’s Top 50 Prospects for 2022

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 176 total)
  • Author
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Not sure what tô make of Bedell going from 26 tô 21 in a season post tô injury.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Glad you are enjoying the series, CC. Last year, the site rankings were a melding of two voters’ views. This year, they are mine alone. In 2021, I had Bedell no. 22, on my list but the other vote at 28 lowered his overall score. This year, I have Bedell at basically the same place, 21. Players come on and graduate off the list each year so there can be minor movement based on others.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting take, C27. Made me think. So let’s have a bit of a philosophical discussion, fplks. Should every player who is expected to reach the majors be a prospect?

I’d say that would be a good definition of a prospect…someone with a skillet that could be reasonably projected to make the major leagues. That should leave some wiggle room to debate whether Robertson is a good prospect or not, but I’d say he’s a prospect for sure.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IMO, prospects should be ranked by potential first, then ceiling, floor, injury history, age factors, and come into play. Players like Robertson, Mendoza, Nogowski all are fairly comparable. I never would consider any of them at this point as serious prospects. But they are prospects. They just aren’t top 30, or even 40 for me. I also downgrade those who have not lived up to my thoughts on their potential, like Jhon Torres, or those I would I give incomplete grades on like Fletcher or But Bedell. Everyone values prospects differently.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In my rankings I tend to reward players who have proven themselves in the minors therefore I tend to rank those at the higher levels higher in my list. Potential is always just potential until proven on the field. There are always a few exceptions to this style like Jordan Walker although he proved quite a bit last year. I usually don’t get too excited by DSL and Complex players until they prove something on a full season team.

To answer the question, yes I believe being projected to be a MLB player does make someone a prospect.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran
    Participant

Great choice, Brian. Excited about his potential.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Holgate should have gone to the NY-Penn League. Oh, wait . . .

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am glad that Torres is still in your top 20. I haven’t given up on him yet. This guy has so much potential but of course eventually it has to be translated on the field. 2022 is indeed a big year for him.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I haven’t given up on him yet.

I’m thinking that Torres will have a bounce back in ’22. Community has him at #26…. I had him higher up than Brian’s #18. If he makes some headway he could return to the top-10.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I expect he will eventually go away via free agency.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would think that with the oncomimg universal DH, guys like Baker (and Yepez) will have more value than they did a year or two ago. While it’s certainly possible that Baker ends up with another organization, it’s not the ironclad case that he’ll need to move to the AL like it seemed a couple years ago.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have always viewed Baker as Voit 2.0. He will definitely have a role in the majors, whether with the Cardinals or someone else. If he does leave I would prefer we get something in return rather than leave for nothing.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s a fair assessment of Nuñez. I’m a little higher on him than some others perhaps, but in my own rankings I found it hard to justify him over some others. Still, he’s only 20 and the bat speed looks legit so hopefully he can keep steadily progressing. He may end up a DH/OF type which it remains to be seen how many of those types the roster can bear.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

You only need jaredhofpower to sneak it out at Hammonds field. You don’t need to crush it. The wind is frequently gusting out.
    Nunez could and should play first and LF. Add in that the DH at bats in AA will have doubled, and you see plenty for Walker. Nunez, and even Whalen to work on in the field.
    Especially considering Whalen and Nunez, you often see a power spike like Yepez experienced last season about the time they start playing in those AA parks. It’s called the Mather effect.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I had high hopes for Joe Mather…. he fooled me.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Super Joe fooled me, too.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

“Joey Bombs” made only one appearance on our Top Prospect List. He was #8 in 2008, right behind Brian Barton. It was just after he hit 31 homers between Springfield and Memphis in 2007. Prior to that, he never made our then-Top 40.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Burleson’s scouting grades don’t seem to add up. Or is the running/defense grade weighted more than you’d think? A 50 hit/50 power/45 defense would seem to me to be weighting closer to 50 overall than 45. I’d also think his arm is better than a 50 although maybe others have seen more of him than I have.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 176 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.