The Cardinal Nation’s Top 50 Prospects for 2022

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum The Cardinal Nation’s Top 50 Prospects for 2022

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 176 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran said:

“Jury’s still out with Bader.”

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Qualifiers will always get the press. Their larger sample size carries more credibility.

Harrison’s next progression would hopefully be his first 500+ PA season.

Semien and Freeman just led their leagues in PA’s. They didn’t require a replacement level player to cover starts for them, watering down the teams production.

I don’t care for this comparison.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bader is very streaky. Hopefully he can become more consistent. Consistently good not consistently bad.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t think anyone would rather have Bader than Vlad or Trout, but his results indicate that he can perform at a very high level. That is my takeaway.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think anyone would rather have Bader than Vlad or Trout, but his results indicate that he can perform at a very high level. That is my takeaway.

I agree with that. I think Bader is a known commodity at this point…a high level defender who adds value on the base paths. He will crush lefties and be below average against righties. He’s a starting level CFer but IMO not a high level one. At this point, he’s the best the Cards have and I’m thankful he’s manning CF.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

In 2020, Bader was benched in the middle of a hot streak for a guy that had an OPS .500 points below him. But the narrative here is he can’t play a full season.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tweedie must really be using a non traditional scale. Is Winn’s arm really innacurate or something? Cause there’s no way he’s just a plus arm. I read that at one point he had twice as many 92+ mph throws as the entire MLB group of infielders.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bader HASN’T played a season over 427 PA’s. We don’t know that he CAN, and hold his 2020-2021 production. Assuming he “can’t” is your narrative LA.

It’s a weak comparison judging him vs everyday qualifiers. In fact, it’s a slap in the face for those players who do the full season grind.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A lot of guys look good in the lower levels and then stall out. Hopefully Winn won’t hit a speed bump this year. Same for Walker.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The lost covid year put Herrera in AA before he was ready to be competitive at the plate at that level. So we still need to find out if he looks as good in the upper levels as he did in A ball. We’re going to be SOL for a Yadi replacement if he doesn’t. At 21, time is on his side, for now.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The lost covid year put Herrera in AA before he was ready to be competitive at the plate at that level.

Since when is above average not competitive? He walked in almost 14% of his plate appearances with an acceptable K rate, hit 17 homers and did a solid job behind the plate. I really don’t get takes that pretend that he didn’t have a very successful year at Springfield, given his age and position.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you like .231, OK.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

.231/.346/.408, which, once again, is above league average. That seems plenty competitive in my book. He also ran a .261 BABIP after never having one lower than .337 at any point before. I’ll take that from a 21 year old catching prospect.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Slash line 101

.231 / .346 Herrera
    .252 / .297 Molina

Bling, above is the BA/OBP of both catchers at their level played. Which BA/OBP do you prefer?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I will amend my previous comment. If you like a .231 hitter who can work walks off AA pitching, OK. Also, I will point out that League average includes all the non prospects and roster filler. He should do better this year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A good reliable lefty eating innings in the middle of the rotation would be dreamy. Hopefully injuries in STL will not force the jump too early this year. Lib never really was able to work his WHIP down throughout last season, but he did seem to learn to handle the rather busy base paths better and produce good results. He is way above an Oviedo, but the latter illustrates what busy base paths in AAA corresponds to in MLB. Hopefully, the powers will not screw up this coming season too much.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Excellent write up but one minor correction. Walker’s profile lists his highest level in 2021 as Palm Beach, but as you mentioned in your writing, it was Peoria.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the correction. What you refer to said, “Palm Beach (High-A)”. Half right and half wrong. Old habits die hard.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have mentioned before that I think a lefty pull hitter with a pronounced platoon split is going to have problems in MLB. But we will see. Maybe they will change the rules so a defender can’t stand where he’s likely to hit it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Minor league teams have plenty of information on player tendencies, too.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 176 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years