StL 2019 Game 153 thread: Thu 9/19 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 153 thread: Thu 9/19 at Cubs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 212 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:15 p.m. RHP Jack Flaherty (10-8, 3.05) vs. RHP Kyle Hendricks (11-9, 3.26) FOX // KMOX

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Anybody know if the Cubs closer will be back in action during this series? Also Rizzo – I suspect he is out for a while – some say for the regular season.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I don’t think Kimbrel will be available but I could be wrong. Don’t hold me to that.

Rizzo wont play this series. He’s still in a walking boot through the weekend.

Anybody give $20 for a Reds win tonight?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Cards stumble and don’t win the division we will hear more about this:

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Reds are not going to win tonight, Rat. But at least the Reds didn’t lay down in the series like the pitiful Pirates did. Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell, Doc Ellis, Bruce Kison and Bob Moose all have to be rolling over in their graves with the way these modern Pittsburgh Pirates are conducting themselves. We will at least gain a split in Wrigley this weekend, Rat…..may God be my judge we will. What’s for din-din you may ask? One of the tastiest fish on the planet…..fresh red snapper, asparagus, mashed potatoes and a couple of Rat’s Klondike bars.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Pugs,
    You goofed again. What a goomer. You need to go eat some catfish fiddlers..:)

And now with a three game lead the worst we can be at close of business on Sunday is one game out. If we just win one game we leave Wrigley still with the lead in the NL Central.

I said awhile back the Cards better at least have a three game lead going into Wrigley and that’s what they now have, thanks to Cincinnati.

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we can get a split at Wrigley we will be in the drivers seat for the last week. 1 out of 4 still gives us the lead but would be cutting it close. If we get swept we are in big trouble.

Remember they then go to Pittsburgh while we go to Arizona. Dbacks are tougher than the Pirates.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

This was a much needed night. If we can get a split at Wrigley and get 2 of 3 in Arizona I have good feeling.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why aim for a split? The Cubs are without Rizzo and Baez and their pitching is not exactly great. Tonight is a big one…if the Cards can break through against Hendricks and Jack throws a gem, the Cubs will have a ton of pressure on them. This is the chance to vanquish your foe and maybe even knock them from a playoff position. Let’s see it happen.

I would think that guys like Ponce and Leone will be available to take some innings if the wind is blowing out this series (I don’t know if it is). The Cubs scored a ton of runs off the Pirates but the Cards have also scored a lot against those Buccos this year.

My prediction for tonight? Jack goes 7, Cy Hendricks only 5 and the bullpen of the Cubs can’t hold. The Cards win it 4-2.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Looks like the Cubs used most of the pen against the Reds last night. Gotta knock slow-ball Hendricks out of it to gain traction. Start the series with a win at Wrigley and break the curse.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Congrats to our team on a good team win yesterday! We’re lookin good and ready for the home stretch. Bullpens gonna have to be good these last 10 games. Won’t be any coasting. Glad Flahertys pitching tonight. Just got to stay focused, have fun and play our game. Go Cardinals! Oh yeah great snag by Dexter yesterday wasn’t it!

14NyquisT
    Participant

OH BOY, we hit the trifecta again STL-W*** CHC-L*** MIL-L***

Ummmm…. and about that invincibility of the Cubs playing at Wrigley. They ain’t. While we were winning two out of three from the play-off bound Nationals, the Cubs were losing two out of three against the Reds. Some folks here had already conceded to a Cubs sweep.

Come on guys. Its baseball. Underdogs win games.

I hope this will change the minds of some that the Cubs always win at Wrigley. Maybe the Cards win 3 in this series and put the Cubs out of their misery. As for MIL, they’ll be playing SD tonight and the dreaded Pirates this weekend at home. And PIT is playing like the Little Rascals when they dressed up as sea-faring buccaneers and ran away from home.(probably the Rascals best).

The Brewers are the team we should worry about. Its the away series in ARI is the one that the naysayers should worry about. If they need to worry.

WAS-MIL-CHC… one of them go home for October.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ny, I think the Cards are 5-19 in their last 24 games at Wrigley. That is why we are being very cautious with our predictions for the weekend. The Cards have to prove to me they can win there.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Wasn’t it in 2017 that the Cards swept the Cubs in a 3 game Wrigley series? I seem to remember Grichuk homering and somebody getting hit by a pitch but it is all pretty fuzzy now – but the sweep is not fuzzy.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

MM3, it was June 2016 when the Cards swept a 3-game series at Wrigley. That has been the only series win for the Cards at Wrigley during the last five seasons (Maddon’s years as cub manager). Maybe they’ll add another one this week.

Cards @ Wrigley
    2019: 0-6
    2018: 4-6
    2017: 1-8
    2016: 6-4
    2015: 4-5

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Red snapper and catfish are fine fish indeed and I would eat them with great pleasure any time, but tonight I am preparing the king of fresh water fishes, succulent rainbow trout, merely popped into the skillet with a little butter, two minutes on each side, sautée some potatoes with their jackets on, yes, in a little more butter, and accompany it with a delicious ratatouille using some of the late ripening vegetables from the garden. Wifey says, however, I don’t need a dessert. Hélas.
    Rah Cardinals! Let’s whip up on them cubs.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have only one comment to make to you today, CardinalinFrance. You really really need to host one of those ever popular cooking shows. You’ll knock their socks off with your succulent dishes!

And to the new and improved Euro Dandy. I think I speak for all in Cardinal Nation in saying that your posts have always been of top notch quality. But with your name add-on, we have also witnessed a noticeable invigorated spring in your step, along with a ripe new crispness in your delivery. Keep em coming!

And in baseball, all eyes certainly are focused in western Pennsylvania today where the Pirates play host to Seattle’s Mariners. Does it get any better?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

For lunch today it was a center cut rib chop marinated with Carribean Jerk, some Bush’s baked beans with onions, a cherry Danish, and a chocolate shake. Now I am off to hop on the John Deere and mow the yard. However, with little rain the last 2-3 weeks here not a lot of the yard needs mowed. Then for a quick jog after mowing. Then time to hit the shower for the day.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The odds of Rat going on that jog after mowing the lawn today are about the same as the Pirates winning out this year.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My lunch was a PB&J sandwich. That’s the downside to working in the woods. On the plus side, the leaves are starting to turn a little here in NW Pennsylvania, and it’s a glorious 67 with sun on this lovely afternoon.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<Euro Dandy wrote:

MM3, it was June 2016 when the Cards swept a 3-game series at Wrigley>

Thanks E.D. That makes sense because I think it was Holliday that was put on the DL with a hand injury by a Cubs reliever.

You may want to reconsider that screen name as folks will be calling you E.D. I had a handicapped license plate with the letters ED leading 3 numbers. Okay, so it was appropriate but not for you young bucks…LOL

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lineup today:

Dexter Fowler (S) RF
    Kolten Wong (L) 2B
    Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    Marcell Ozuna (R) LF
    Paul DeJong (R) SS
    Yadier Molina (R) C
    Tommy Edman (S) 3B
    Harrison Bader (R) CF
    Jack Flaherty (R) P

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe you’re not supposed to mess with your batting stance, but it seems to me you should crowd the plate up and in when facing Hendricks and his salad offerings. And if he hits you, at least an 87 mph fast one won’t hurt as much as a Scherzer heater.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

If my math is right (Games left-games behind+1), our magic number to clinch is 8. A split in Wrigley drops that to 4 to eliminate the North-spiders. Somehow find a way to sweep and they are done.

But even without Rizzo it will be tough. Hendricks seems to always impersonate Three-Finger Brown when he faces us.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 212 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.