StL 2019 Game 153 thread: Thu 9/19 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 153 thread: Thu 9/19 at Cubs

Viewing 12 posts - 201 through 212 (of 212 total)
  • Author
    Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<Brian wrote: Did anyone else notice Gallegos’ immediate reaction to the fly ball to deep center that ended the game? Looked to me like he thought it was going out. That is how thin the margin of victory was.>

How in the world did the Cubs manage to get that guy from the Tigers? He is one heck of a ballplayer. I think I saw him a few times in Springfield years ago when he was playing in AA but I forget which team.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I get your larger point, Dave, but speaking in the small bubble that is tonight, Carp had a clutch game-winning HR in extras, therefore he is owed his due for that

Not to mention, he hit he double that started the rally against Scherzer on Wednesday afternoon. Carp has had a rough year and Edman has rightly earned the 3B job, but Carp has quietly been solid in his role for a while. People who think he “owes” us more than to show up every day and work hard are simply not thinking clearly.

Michael Dusablon
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman’s diving stop of Heyward’s grounder may have saved the game. If that ball
    gets through it’s 1st and 3rd with one out…probably wouldn’t have gone extra
    innings. It was overlooked by the announcers because the tying run scored on the play.

Edman continues to come through with both the bat and the glove!

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Did anyone else notice Gallegos’ immediate reaction to the fly ball to deep center that ended the game? Looked to me like he thought it was going out. That is how thin the margin of victory was.

Haha and yep. Thanfully you could tell Bader was on it when they quickly switched the camera view to CF. My son texted this to me seconds after the game.

“Gallegos did not instill much confidence with his reaction to the final out lol”

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

Can we start a Go Fund Me site? Someone needs to buy Shildt some brains. He’s doing a good job overall, but when it comes to C Mart, he keeps getting brain farts. The guy is not a workhorse closer. Why can’t Shildt figure that out?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Edman’s diving stop of Heyward’s grounder may have saved the game.

You are correct and I thought Smoltz was about to acknowledge that when he said “That was a great play . . . . . . . . . . . by Heyward.”

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I thought the same thing on the Heyward grounder, that someone should have mentioned the great diving stop by Edman. In watching the mlb.tv “Condensed” game, Pat Hughes, Cub announcer, did mention the play.

But Heyward did the job as well as he made contact against a tough left-hander, which he had to do.

I am happy for Matt Carpenter. It has been a rough year for him, so getting that hit has to lift some weight off his shoulders.

CMart looked to be physically struggling last night. He just seemed out of sorts – maybe the respiratory problems are still affecting him.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Yeah Bike Mike I noticed CMart too. He really didn’t look well. I was wondering if he was still sick. Wonder if they asked him if he wanted to pitch. If a guy doesn’t feel well for gosh sakes don’t put him in. Looks like the other guys are playing the walking wounded. Hope Wong gets back soon but only when hes ready!

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thought the same thing. CMart did not look right from the first pitch. The walk to start the inning was alarming. I, like others, was surprised Shildt stuck with him that long. I was hoping they would have pulled him after the second hitter (I know hindsight is 20/20).

I remain concerned with Ozuna and Dejong. They have had a rough time offensively the last few games. Those two need to get going if the Redbirds are going to make the playoffs. At some point Edman will cool off and someone needs to pick it up.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How in the world did the Cubs manage to get that guy from the Tigers? He is one heck of a ballplayer. I think I saw him a few times in Springfield years ago when he was playing in AA but I forget which team.

Good question. I have wondered the same thing the last two months. Every year it seems they are able to get a good player for peanuts.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

What a great night, got to spend the evening with my granddaughters and then watch the Cardinals punch back after the Cubs 9th inning comeback. What a great great win.

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

Happy for my home guy Carpenter in spite of an awful year. Man did he pound that pitch. We need to keep winning as the Brewers will not go away.

Viewing 12 posts - 201 through 212 (of 212 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years