StL 2019 Game 153 thread: Thu 9/19 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 153 thread: Thu 9/19 at Cubs

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 212 total)
  • Author
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Shildt and Martinez must find some grandiose way to treat Carp and Gallegos to something luxurious.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s certainly not in the bag yet, but a finish like this all but buries the cubbies. I would love nothing better than seeing Maddon and his boys completely miss post season play.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I can’t remember the details, but something about Carp’s HR tonight reminds me of a big HR Jhonny Peralta hit in the late innings at Wrigley several years ago to pull out a big win.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

When the Voit trade occurred, who could have predicted this?

Brian, I was all over it. 😉

GameCard
    Participant

Free

That was all on Carlos…what did Shildt do wrong. People complained the other night when Braun hit the grand slam that Carlos wasn’t available. Can’t have it both ways.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Congrats Cardinals. Got the WIN! Love it. Nobody said it was gonna be easy. Team win! Flaherty was excellent. Lots of good play. Go Cardinals!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Huge, HUGE win!!!!!!!

Guaranteed to be in 1st place when we leave Chicago. Unless we lose the next three and the Brewers win their next three.

I didn’t watch the game but I think I might watch the Replay.

r/Esteemed Rat

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I guess Kimbrel came off the IL just in time.

David
    Participant

Free

I would like to wrap up the division before the series against the cubs. Brewers have the easier schedule of the 3 but it could work against them as those spoiler teams have nothing to play for other than keeping a team out of the playoffs

David
    Participant

Free

Series against the cubs next weekend I meant

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Consider yourself lucky Rat for not watching. That 9th inning took about five years off my life.

After pitching in consecutive days hopefully CMart is unavailable tomorrow. I don’t think I can handle his act again.

David
    Participant

Free

No one owes Carp anything Euro., if anything, I see it as Carp owes Cardinal fans for his lack of offense this year and although that Homer was truly big, he still is in debt as I see it…but with Wong maybe missing time, Carp has a chance to redeem his season and have a series against the cubs as he did last season after the ASB

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kimbrel hasn’t been nearly effective in non-save situations.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

As alluded to earlier in this thread I think, it’s ironic that the cubs 9th inning comeback probably makes the loss an even tougher pill for them to swallow.

David
    Participant

Free

I prepare myself when CMart comes in. I am always ready for the go ahead run making it in scoring position

1982 willie
    Participant

man that was hard to watch. when will our relief pitchers start to come in games throwing strikes. great game by Flaherty, went above and beyond and doesn’t have a win to show for it. Gallegos was a bit shaky but he steadied himself. I wouldn’t mind seeing Gallegos in that role more often. Martinez is a veteran, Gallegos isn’t, go figure. good hitting by goldy and the guys on the end of the order. nice to see bader come through tonight. its also nice to see carp come through but better seeing how hes taken his reduced playing time. it was warranted but a lot of veteran players would just say the heck with it and not give it their all. hes been a team player through and through. I think a lot of people would have to agree that if we had ended up losing this game, this weekend could have turned ugly. im not saying the season would have been lost cause our guys have been pretty resilient. but this win changes a lot. hopefully wong wont be out too long. but if he is out for a bit, maybe carp can heat up.

David
    Participant

Free

The next 2 games I will have to get updates on my phone as I will not be able to watch it. Not sure who this mills guy is we’re facing tomorrow but I have faith in wacha to at least give us a chance to win the first 2.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

The Cubs also used quite a few relievers. None of them threw very many pitches but it could have an effect over the course of the weekend. They used quite a few on Wednesday, as well.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

I keep remembering the 1964 season when Philly lost ten in a row as the Cards won about 8 in a row at the end of the season, 3 in Philly. We barely got into that Series as they Phillies collapsed.

Then, I look at our hitting recently and wonder how we have survived. Carlos, tonight, raised those fears again. Thanks, Carp. I had lost faith in Carp totally, and he gets the biggest hit of the season.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

No one owes Carp anything Euro.

I get your larger point, Dave, but speaking in the small bubble that is tonight, Carp had a clutch game-winning HR in extras, therefore he is owed his due for that. The Cards owe this victory to Carp, along with a few others for some key contributions (e.g., Flaherty, Goldy, Edman, Gallegos). The small bubble that is tonight is actually very huge.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Magic number is now 7. Cubs’ elimination number is 6. Cubs are currently out of the playoffs, 1 game behind the Brewers for the 2nd wild card.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

It was actually shown in Dallas, on a Spanish channel.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

All that good work by Flaherty and Miller gets an undeserved win.

Glad I couldn’t watch yet another Martinez counter-performance. I cringe every time I see him come into a game.

I say let’s trade this guy in the off-season and get whatever offensive value we can get, and let some other team deal with all the anguish.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Did anyone else notice Gallegos’ immediate reaction to the fly ball to deep center that ended the game? Looked to me like he thought it was going out. That is how thin the margin of victory was.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I had to call my doctor at home in the 9th and tell him my heart was going wild. What should I do? His response: “Turn off that darn TV.”

Kudos to MARP but I also agree with others – it’s about time but still, thanks.

My favorite play. The guy we call Hotdog at our house (Contreras) blocking the line, missing the tag on Goldy and then dropping the ball to boot. Goldy ain’t no rookie son.

The Cards have found their new closer – the same guy many of us have been asking for the past month – Gallegos. For those hoping to make Martinez a starter – could you take 6 or 7 innings of what he throws? Trade time this off season.

The Cubs brought all of their dead meat out of the closet – Rizzo, Baez and Kimbrel and it made no matter. Kimbrel is a joke – even looked worse than Martinez.

Most interesting comment by John Smoltz (whom I thought did a good job at being neutral) The Cubs do not have a line of developing pitchers to bring up as starters. All of their guys are store bought veterans and some are showing their age. Hamels being pulled because he has been awful is good evidence. The Cards develop their pitchers from the get go. Other than Mikolas, the rest of the starters are pretty much home grown.

192 TCN messages on the email this am – WOW, lots of busy game watchers.

Notice that Maddon pulled Rizzo after that lame performance on fielding a bunt towards 3B. That had been one of his bread and butter plays but his lameness showed up on that one.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 212 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years