Spring training 2019

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Spring training 2019

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 214 total)
  • Author
    NJ315
    Participant

Well he is not alone on that department…Ozuna, Fowler, Molina haven’t done much either. Ozuna has been downright pathetic. It is only spring training Wieters will be fine once it is for real. The other three will be fine too.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You have to wonder why no other team made an offer to Wieters. Do they know something we don’t know? Or is Wieters a classic example of ‘low hanging fruit’?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mud, I think it is pretty simple to guess what may have happened. When teams asked Boras his price for Wieters, it was more than they wanted to pay, so they did not make an offer. Some may have moved on to other catchers. When the price dropped later, the Cardinals asked and got him.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good points about injuries on other threads. Any news on Gyrko, Williams injuries? Also Derian Gonzalez, and Arozarena. With the season little over a week away, we may have more than Cecil, Gregerson, and CMart on the IL.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I heard on KMOX that Cecil’s issue is nerve trouble in his hand. Sounded similar to Chris Carpenters and Bowman’s thoracic trouble, possibly?

bccran
    Participant

Drew Robinson looked good yesterday. Now seems to be making a case for himself.

14NyquisT
    Participant

A

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If a roster spot is needed, it would appear Gregerson would likely go to the 60 day IL. And unless he is improving a release would be possible.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I heard on KMOX that Cecil’s issue is nerve trouble in his hand. Sounded similar to Chris Carpenters and Bowman’s thoracic trouble, possibly?

This is purely speculation on my part but if Cecil can’t recover from this ailment is it possible that he and the Cardinals reach an agreement on some kind of retirement/buyout deal where the team could perhaps get some relief with insurance, assuming they have it on this particular contract? It would be similar to the situation between the Mets and David Wright.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The numbers may not support it, but if Cecil is out, maybe add Layne to the roster, and put Gregerson on the 60 day IL. If there are a couple situational lefty-lefty matchups in the middle of the game, Layne is the best choice after Miller.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

Gomber, Poncedeleon or Gant… who is number 6 right now. Then there is Cabrera, Helsley and still Reyes to consider at some point in time.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

after today Ponce is definitely down IMO

Gant has to be the #6 as much hype as Hudson gets Gant has matched him so far IMO

Mik, Jack, Wacha, Waino, Hudson…
    Hicks, Miller, Leone, Brebbia, Shreve, Gant, Mayers, Reyes…

Reyes to AAA rotation if they go with 7 sliding someone from AAA rotation
    IF Reyes is up for sure….BRebbia or Leone get the AAA assignment…
    Shreve has a short leash regardless of his contract…Webb and Layne waiting

Cmart, Cecil, Greger to IL

Gant to pen (no options) probably serves as long man maybe trying to line up with Waino and Hudson in a pseudo piggyback role

Woodford, Ponce, Gomber, Helsley, Genesis?/Ellis (once we get him back) at Memphis?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Correct on your first guess, jager. Ponce de Leon was optioned out after the game.

Cardinals Option Daniel Ponce de Leon to Triple-A

1982 willie
    Participant

well it doesn’t surprise me that ponce got sent down and gomber either really. they both still need more work to get major league ready. im sure we will need them down the road.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the backup C spot has to be determined tomorrow due to contractural language. At this point I think it could go either way.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I will be shocked if they go with Pena but I’ve been shocked before.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I wonder if any thought will be given to what is being said about Knizner being ready sometime in ’19. It seems that we will lose another highly rated catcher (ala Kelly) due to the fact that Molina will do what he wants, play when he wants and has little concern about the future of the team.

Unless this type of favoritism is somehow harnessed to allow someone else to decide who plays and who doesn’t, and who his backup will be (his buddy, Pena), it makes sense to trade Knizner now because he will eventually become a wasted talent. Knizner is in the same boat as Kelly was. There’s already talk about extending Molina again and into the future.

Schildt doesn’t have the muscle to rattle Yadi and the FO is…. well the FO, prone to cave. Mozeliak will continue to appease certain players and dismiss the careers of others. There is something lacking in his DNA.

NJ315
    Participant

Yadi’s choice is Pena. Enough said. Pack your bags Weiters.

vegasjim
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So am I reading the signs plus days scheduled to work as the rotation is for the openers:

In Milwaukee:
    Thurs – Miles announced
    Friday – Flaherty
    Sat/Sun – some combo of a Waino/Wacho both pitching Monday in Memphis

Then in Pittsburgh:
    Monday – Hudson
    Tues – off
    Wednesday- Miles

Then home opener = Flaherty

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Did anyone notice Mr. Backfield Danny Mac couldn’t identify Randy Arozerena or Johan Mesies, and then thought the rule 5 shortstop was John Nagowski during the Yankee broadcast?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe Dan should pay more attention to Brian during their scoops segments. Any Cardinal fan worth their salt should know who Nogowski is.

14NyquisT
    Participant

John LaRue, VEB:

while performances by Poncedeleon and Gomber should leave you concerned about the starting pitching depth past Gant and Hudson.

Spring training is Spring training…. I would wait until we see some actual starts at Memphis before becoming concerned. Should both falter I might show some nervousness. If you are one who believes ST is meaningful, Kruczinski’s performance yesterday might give you the shakes also.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 214 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.