Spring training 2019

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Spring training 2019

This topic contains 213 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by Avatar thejager 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 214 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the notices, gentlemen. I’ll be in town the 25th thru thue 5th, for anyone willing to sit thru an entire game with me……the good thing….the brewskis are on Pugs!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Unless Pugs changes his post in the allowable 10 minutes, his free beer offer will become a part of the permanent record. Folks, you should not pass this up!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s official, Brian. Let it be known though that there is a strict limit imposed…..9 beers per person only. No exceptions! Any Cardinal fan consuming less than 1 beer per inning will be referred to as a “lightweight” for the remainder of the ballgame.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

im thinking i may be there Pugs…i cant remember when i scheduled my time off…and if i do show then you can call me lightweight…last time i went gung ho like that during a game it didnt end well…:)

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Airfare through March 5 is already available from Southwest. I’m thinking about showing up for games on March 2nd and 3rd.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Be great if you were there, Jags! And don’t worry about the 1 beer per inning requirement….Mudville and I will have you gulping down 2 per inning for a grand total of 18…..geesh remember those days….tell you how stupid we were at 17-18 years old…..we used to cruise around Cleveland all night drinking Genesee Cream Ale and Mickeys Malt Liquor…..my personal best for 1 night was 26 cans….and I was driving that night!

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pugs, that’s a whole case+ of Jenie’s, the next day could not have been a good one.

Anyway… boy, I’d love to join you guys at ST. Not for the beer, I quit that stuff loooong ago. But I can eat me some hot dogs, if I can substitute. Seriously, it would be an honor to meet up with you maniacs. Pugs, mud, jag and even Mr. Walton.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Would be great to have you there, Nyquist! Yeah if I drank a case of Genny Creme Ale now, I would be walking on my hands and knees and begging for mercy….and I don’t want to even think of how I would feel the next morning! Hope we get a nice little entourage of Cardinal Nationers to take in a ST game. I’d love to get TheLonelyBull (coolest name on the planet) there so I could possibly secure rights to his name. Thus far, he’s rebuffed my efforts to work out a deal. I figure if I got him at the ol’ ballpark, we’d get him drinking at about a 2 beer an inning clip and then it would be like taking candy from a baby…..the name TheLonelyBull would be all mine. I thought of taking on the name “TheLonliestBullInTexarkana”, but Brian knows that I live nowhere near Wyoming, so I’m sure he wouldn’t approve it.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

With Pugs buying the cold, frosty Budweiser’s, I am seriously considering a trip to Spring Training. I will have to tone it down a little to only 9 per game, but still it will be worth it!!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

2019 Cardinals Spring Training Tickets On Sale TOMORROW

Single game tickets for games at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium go on sale to the public TOMORROW, Saturday, January 5th, 2019 at 9 a.m. CT / 10 a.m. ET.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Formal announcement with additional information.

Cardinals Announce 2019 Spring Training TV and Radio Schedule

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Do Spring games ever get sold out? Don’t know how big Roger Dean Stadium is?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve been to games at Roger Dean that looked like they were sold out. I didn’t see any empty seats. Roger Dean Stadium is a really nice venue. I like it better than the brand new stadium that the Astros/Nationals built in West Palm Beach which is about 20 minutes away from Roger Dean. It has about 900 more seats than Roger Dean. The Mets play in Port St. Lucie which is about a 45 minute drive from Roger Dean. The Mets’ stadium (First Data Field) is a little bigger than Roger Dean. I don’t know for sure, but when I was there, it looked pretty full but not sold out.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Truck day is here.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is the official first day of Spring. When the trucks start heading for Jupiter I can almost smell glove oil, bat tar rags and rosin bags, also I can start hearing batted balls, catcher’s mitts and empty stands having batted balls kicking around in them. Although the smell of mowed grass will have to wait along with seeing robins.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

From the Post-Dispatch:

But, on the truck there is plenty of the soft underbelly of outfitting a baseball team including bins and bins of pants, t-shirts, jock straps, hoodies, etc.

There are all the materials the training staff will need and food stuffs for the kitchen staff. The players will eat two or three meals a day at the training facility. There are also laundry detergents and supplies for the clubhouse staff.

About 30 percent of the truck’s contents is devoted to personal items – bicycles, strollers, golf clubs (for that rare day off), fishing equipment and the like.

With so few current Cardinals living here in the off-season, many of the players will drive to camp with their families, their personal items and their gloves and then have their automobiles shipped back to St. Louis before the start of the season.

The movers came to St. Louis on Wednesday morning and the trucks went back to the company’s storage facility for a Thursday departure for Florida. Sometime late Friday afternoon, the trucks will arrive at the Cardinals’ Complex in Jupiter.

Unloading by Walsh’s staff will begin on Saturday morning, in plenty of time for pitchers and catchers, although many hurlers already are at the complex, having escaped the weather vagaries of much of the rest of the country.

Walsh had the usual anxieties as Truck Day approached.

“What am I not remembering? What do I still have to do? You always think you’ve forgot something,” he said.

More likely, he and his staff haven’t and the Cardinals soon will begin their six-week stay in Jupiter. This is the 22nd year the Cardinals have trained on the East Coast of Florida after coming from a much longer stint in St. Petersburg, Fla.

“Before you know it,” said Walsh, “we’ll be packing up to go to Memphis and then on the road.”
    *************************************************************************************
    The story says that balls and bats are sent directly to Jupiter. 10,000 balls @ 8.54 a pop, 800 bats +/-

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Please include the link to the article, Ny. Thanks.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sorry I missed the question from above. Roger Dean seats just under 7,000. Some games do sell out, though the last few years, with two more teams in the area, overall attendance was down a bit.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder how the large contingent of possible starters innings will be handled. To me, Waino is not guaranteed a spot, but is probably lightly penciled in. They may want to take it easy with Reyes. CMart, MIkolas, Flaherty, and Wacha, barring injury, should be locks. It also looks Hudson will be back in relief according to comments by the FO. THat leaves Ponce De Leon, Gomber, Gant, Reyes, and dark horses like Cabrera and Helsley. (although the latter 2 could be sent out to minors camp later on)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 214 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years