Spring training 2019

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Spring training 2019

This topic contains 213 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by Avatar thejager 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 214 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nothing too much new here but there is an affirmation that the team is “all in”, “realize the importance of 2019”, and “are trying to win now”.

The writer of this article would never survive this board for using such subjective ideas….lol

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Avatar gscottar.
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who is Anne Rogers? New beat writer?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

She will be after she graduates from college in May. Taking over for Jen Langosch at MLB.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nothing new in that Will Leitch article at all. It looks to be targeted at casual fans who paid little to no attention to the off-season.

It should be noted that the words “all in” came from Leitch, who is an unabashed Cardinals “fanatic” (in the title of his article). No one employed by the team used those words in the article’s quotes. The writer simply “affirmed” his own opinion.

Leitch referred to Mo quotes that are three months old, from the P-D prior to the Winter Meetings, in which Mo said:

“Simply, we realize the importance of 2019.”

and this:

“What I’m thinking about today is 2019.”

and this:

“we’re trying to win now”

zzzzzzz.

That is it. That is all Mo said. Not a word about “going for it” or being “all in on 2019”.

Of course they are trying to win now. But saying they are going “all-in” rings hollow when it is writers instead of the team who are asserting it.

What I read is they are going for 90 wins, making the playoffs, etc., as has been discussed here all winter long.

For those who are interested, here is the link to my earlier post, where I summarized DeWitt’s earlier remarks in which he explains why they are NOT going all in.

I DO agree that the writer might never survive this board, though. Then again, he is the founder of that pillar of journalism known as Deadspin, so I imagine he can take care of himself. 😉

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I think this is as close as Mo came to saying “all in”

A year ago, at the winter meetings, he took umbrage with a reporter’s question about the team’s apparent short-term roster and insisted the Cardinals would always be governed by a long-range plan. What changed? He responded: “It wasn’t working. Got to do something different. You’re right, I’ve always been one for the bigger picture, the longer-term decision-making. But we’re trying to win now.”

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/goold-high-rollers-cardinals-putting-their-chips-on/article_0e07733c-6d31-5624-af14-58d7de93cb42.html

But the reality is that there doesn’t appear by their actions to be anymore urgency this year than in the past.

bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Saw Gorman hit up close and personal this afternoon. Amazingly powerful swing. Great looking all around athlete.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

They modified their model to target 90 wins on average and added players their formulas tell them should get them there.

Some people look at 2020 and assume that 2019 is the be-all-end-all, when DeWitt made it clear their intent is to be consistent every year. If that means they have to be busier next winter, they will deal with it then.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No need to go off on a tangent. I said when I posted the link there was not much new information. Yes, I am well aware of what Mo’s quotes were and when he made them. I did actually read the article before I posted it.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One person’s tangent is another person’s pet peeve. While you may be familiar with the particular points, that does not mean all readers are. Fortunately we can all discuss whatever we want about Cardinals baseball here.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes we can and I am thankful for that although I want to be careful of not dismissing ideas different than mine. I am sure I can be better at that.

If a writer were to write something that I didn’t agree with I wouldn’t want to label it yawnworthy or automatically assume that the writer was just pandering to the reactionary hayseed rubes who don’t know better. That would be a condescending way of looking at it.

There are many various opinions out there on all topics Cardinal related and none of us have a monopoly on the correct ones, myself included. I think this board has a lot of informed and intelligent posters and I try to learn from them even if I view things differently.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems likely that Cecil will not be on the opening day roster. Odds are he will be placed on the IL although I suppose there is a slight chance he is released. But could there be a third option? What if he and/or the Cardinals decided he could open the season in Memphis or Springfield? Is that possible? I’m sure he would have to give his consent but if waivers are involved I seriously doubt no other team would claim him. Other than ego why would he not agree to go to the minors? He would be getting his money either way.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, the way that is handled is for the player to go on the MLB IL, then start a minor league rehab stint when ready to pitch. The limit is 30 days for pitchers, but there is no limit for concurrent minor league rehabs. They get paid as a major leaguer but pitch in the minors.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

not surprised by any of the cuts. arozarena is somebody I like. he czan definitely use extra at bats in the minors. though personally id rather have him on the team as opposed to fowler and/or gyorko but that aint gonna happen.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Arozarena was my guy to watch this year as I think he’s gonna light it up in Memphis. He has generally fared well after some time for adjustment at every stop (see his time in Springfield last year) and I think we might see him really step forward by the end of this year.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He has generally fared well after some time for adjustment at every stop (see his time in Springfield last year)

Boy isn’t that the truth. Randy seems to need more time adjusting than others but once he gets going he does much better. Good to see him do well this Spring albeit against a lot of minor league pitchers. So, for ’19 I think he’ll start out well at Memphis since he has spent time there already, and his success at Jupiter may be a window into his play in ’19 at AAA.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Arozarena and Garcia have important years this year. So far they have not improved plate discipline/patience enough. That seems to be their final hurdle. Garcia has the most overall talent, but with Thomas in the mix for a callup, he may be the first one brought up if an injury/trade occurs.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t like saying this but Garcia looks like he has been dropped down on the OF depth chart and has been passed by Bader, O’Neill, Thomas, Arozarena and Williams(when he comes back). Adolis has all the tools and will have a good year at Memphis but maybe not as good as the others Plus at age(26) time will be catching up with him.

I’m not sure if he can hold on to his spot with the next wave of younger OFers advancing.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar, the way that is handled is for the player to go on the MLB IL, then start a minor league rehab stint when ready to pitch. The limit is 30 days for pitchers, but there is no limit for concurrent minor league rehabs. They get paid as a major leaguer but pitch in the minors.

Does that mean after the first 30 day rehab stint he could just start another one?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For what it’s worth I don’t think it is a slam dunk that Wieters beats out Pena for the backup C job. Wieters may be the favorite but it wouldn’t shock me if Pena went north. I base that mainly on the defensive advantage Pena has. The gap between the two offensively may have been overstated.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

even with WIeters decline and partial time use as of late in his career, he still puts up value with the stick…and was still worth around 1 WAR right? Has Pena ever done that? even with his defensive chops he just doesnt seem to be that guy

I think Wieters has the job, if for no other reason than Knizner is still needing a year or so. And I think they know they need Yadi’s stick to compete, and IF Yadi goes down…Wieters glove won’t kill us but Pena’s stick just might if thrown into the starting role for an extended period

I like Pena, but i like him less without Carson Kelly around

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If it is based on historical performance then it is a slam dunk for Wieters but if this competition is based on this spring then it is much closer.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Pena has shown what they expected of him (maybe less because of the injury). If the Cards were satisfied with that they wouldn’t have brought in Weiters who also has probably performed as expected. Why bring in Weiters if you were not going to keep him?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is the logical way to look at it CC. I’m just saying that Wieters has basically done zero this spring.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 214 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years