Spring training 2019

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Spring training 2019

This topic contains 213 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by Avatar thejager 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 214 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran, the parking change was made for security reasons. I would be surprised if they go back. Just park on a nearby side street. Still fairly close.

The netting was still there for instructs. Again, I doubt it will change.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I’m expecting the first round of cuts to be announced either today (after the game) or tomorrow morning. Either way, lots of pitchers are getting the axe.

bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Last season I had to parking in the garage near the stadium (behind the shops) and walk all the way around inside the complex to get to the minor league fields. Not easy for someone who’s in line for a knee replacement. Why security? What’s wrong with parking in the area by the gate to get into the minor league complex? I don’t get it. It didn’t seem to create any problems in the past.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Andy Young homered in DBacks game yesterday. He’s the one we should have kept.”

I like Andy Young okay, Ny, but not as much as some other utility types who were headed to Memphis this year. Talking Tommy Edman, Ramon Urias, Edmundo Sosa. Maybe Drew Robinson. (Probably not Robinson, though. Don’t care about him much. What’s the point of swinging left-handed when you can’t hit MLB pitching?)

You can even throw in Maximus Schrock, and eventually Evan Mendoza by summer I suppose, and Triple-A is going to be pretty crowded pretty quickly, from second base leftward.

Comparing Young to Urias for example, here’s an edited version of a comment from a Fangraphs thread:

“Andy Young is interesting, but…probably there’s more defensive versatility for Urias. And Urias also had fewer strikeouts than Andy Young, and double the walk rate for the same Springfield team at the same exact age. Urias posted a 170 wRC+ in the Texas League this year, after a hefty 164 in the Mexican League last season.”

The Clay Davenport projections like them both, but not equally. Per Davenport’s computer, Andy is a 2-2.5 win guy at his peak, and Ramon a bit above 3, mostly due to defense. And personally I would give Urias a small additional bump because he was stuck in Mexico for several years, when he might have been advancing & improving through the conventional minors; don’t know whether or not he would have received better coaching than he got south of the border, but I do know he would have been facing a higher level of competition at an earlier age. And that helps anyone improve — if they have it in them to improve in the first place.

“I saw on the Cardinals website that they are projecting Shreve, Mayers and Cecil to make the opening day roster.”

Yeah, I saw that too, Willie. The Redbird bullpen looks scary bad right now, especially with the bloom entirely off the Genesis Cabrera winterball rose. All thorns and no nice aroma right now. The Cards simply cannot go north with the current bullpen. It’s a recipe for heartache.

I say the club should trade for Detroit’s Joe Jimenez, even if it means taking 75-80% of Jordan Zimmermann’s contract ($50M total for the next two years). Heck, the way Z has thrown this spring, he’d be in the mix for the Cardinal rotation right now. Joe Jimenez looks like the next Edwin Diaz, to me.

The relief corps needed an offseason overhaul, and instead it was almost entirely overlooked. This needs to be remedied and real soon.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I’m expecting the first round of cuts to be announced either today (after the game) or tomorrow morning. Either way, lots of pitchers are getting the axe.

And right on cue:

dac8b9
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah, I saw that too, Willie. The Redbird bullpen looks scary bad right now, especially with the bloom entirely off the Genesis Cabrera winterball rose. All thorns and no nice aroma right now. The Cards simply cannot go north with the current bullpen. It’s a recipe for heartache.

I say the club should trade for Detroit’s Joe Jimenez, even if it means taking 75-80% of Jordan Zimmermann’s contract ($50M total for the next two years). Heck, the way Z has thrown this spring, he’d be in the mix for the Cardinal rotation right now. Joe Jimenez looks like the next Edwin Diaz, to me.

The relief corps needed an offseason overhaul, and instead it was almost entirely overlooked. This needs to be remedied and real soon.

Boy has Cabrera been disappointing for me. His motion looks really convoluted and hard to repeat, leading to the control issues. Additionally, his secondary pitches looked mediocre and his fastball isn’t good enough on it’s own to get by major league hitters without at least a decent breaking ball. I had hopes he might make the team out of spring training with a stellar camp, but it’s clear he needs more development in the minors. Of the two, I think Helsley is closer to contributing at the major league level but both need more time at Memphis.

I wish I felt more comfortable with the choices Shildt has for a second lefty. I’m not high on Gomber as a starter or reliever, but he may be our best lefty not named Andrew Miller. Gant would probably be fine as the long man, as I think Hudson will win the starter-in-place-of-Martinez spot. I’d like to piggyback Reyes onto Wainwright’s starts, keeping Reyes on a starters schedule and having him pitch multiple innings, while also shielding Wainwright from facing a lineup three times through unless he’s feeling it. Based on performances thus far, track record, and options, my bullpen would be Miller, Gomber, Hicks, Leone, Reyes, Gant, and Brebbia. Maybe it would be bad asset management to let Mayers and Shreve go, but we’ve got a lot of early games against the Brewers and can’t afford to blow them because we didn’t head north with our best bullpen. I don’t think Mayers or Shreve are guys worth keeping anyways, especially if it will cost you wins to do so when we have so little margin for error in this division.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran, you do not have to walk that far. There is a side street right across from the back gate on Central Blvd. Park there, walk across Central (carefully) and you are right where the old parking was, relatively close to the quad.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Carlos Martinez goes to the bullpen, and he pitches like he did last year, we have our lock down closer. Follow that with Miller, Hicks, Brebbia, and Leone, and we should have a really good bullpen. I’m not ready to give up on Mayers yet. He has thrown an impressive breaking ball at times this spring. Add one of Shreve or Webb if they can show something this spring. Then, there’s Cecil with his redesigned body. He has experience. Maybe Maddux can fix him, although that does seem like a longshot given his dismal performance over the last two years.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

I think how the Cards handled Flaherty and Hicks contracts this year is going to come back to bite them in the rear, just a stupid move by the Front office, but nothing new there!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Blaming a problem with the system on the Cardinals front office specifically tells me you do not understand how pre-arbitration and arbitration salaries work. The two players were making a point about a system that they feel does not pay young players adequately. The Cardinals were not about to break ranks with the rest of MLB and pay the two several million, for example, when their peers are getting less than a million.

There is no doubt the system is unfair, but it isn’t going to change until the next CBA. By the time these two reach free agency – and can take out their supposed frustrations on the Cardinals – it will be five years from now. That will be two years into the next CBA, with a whole new set of rules. 2019 will be ancient history.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The rules in place say the Cards can set a salary. I would assume Misters Hicks and Flaherty accept their small salary, ONLY 555K, and not complain about it. It would take us fans many years to make that kind of money. Since I have 26 years at my job, I say the same thing to people starting out in my profession. Be patient, keep your nose clean, and your time will come. Besides, they could play dirty and send Flaherty down for a month +, and gain another year of control. While I don’t advocate doing that, it is an option.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Brian, can we figure out if players that have been renewed by the Cardinals actually are more likely to go to arbitration? To me the only relevant criteria for the player choosing to go to arbitration is whether the player’s figure is more likely to be accepted by the arbitrator than that of the team. Renewed or not renewed in the past doesn’t seem relevant.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think Flaherty or Hicks actually really thought the Cardinals would do anything more than what they did. It was a silly symbolic protest. As Brian stated the rules will be changed in due time. I am in favor of players being paid earlier since the teams will not pay older players anymore, but after ONE YEAR of service time?? Those two should focus on playing a little longer and talking a little less.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC, I agree with your points. So what if the players take the team to arbitration in two years? The process is designed to ensure the players receive fair value at that point of their career – at three years of experience. In reality, the Cardinals have had only one hearing in the last 20 or so years, as I recall. That part of the current system seems to work as intended.

As to the “can we figure out if players that have been renewed by the Cardinals actually are more likely to go to arbitration?” part, if your part of “we” wants to investigate which pre-arb players were renewed, go for it! In a sample of one, as I noted in the article, Pham did not agree to terms last year and he did go on to take the Rays to a hearing this year. Then again, everyone knew he was going to do that because he is Pham.

For the reason stated above, I don’t see this as significant, either way. As gscottar noted, it is a symbolic move likely applauded by their Union. But if I took the time to do the research, it would likely be a subscriber article you could not read, anyway! 😉

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Brian, you agree but your article seemed to imply that the renewal increased the chances of them going to arbitration in the future. I just dont think their is evidence or logic to support that implication.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Because of the shifting and unsettled relations between players and teams, I don’t think looking back at past behavior will be a great predictor of the future. In fact, even before the next agreement comes, the unrest could lead to small changes.

I wonder (not looking backward, but looking forward) if the increased unhappiness about pre-arb salaries will lead to greater disagreement between players and teams on arbitration salary expectations. In recent years, some teams including the Cardinals, have taken a hard stance that if the two sides don’t come to terms before amounts are formally exchanged and the hearing date is set, they will proceed to the hearing. So in this case, it is really the team taking the player to hearing, though it may be represented in the press as the player doing so.

This year, players won six of 10 hearings, including the top three money guys. Bauer, Cole and Wood all won their hearings, getting over $35 million for this season among them. That may embolden the best eligible players to push harder next year.

If I had to guess where things will be in two years, the last before the new agreement, I would think players will continue to push the envelope where they can. Arbitration is one such area.

Further, my prediction is that Flaherty and Hicks will be either locked up in long term deals before then or they may be tougher to sign for the 2021 season. I think all that is going on could increase their chances of going to hearing.

That is my logic.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One thing that is always left out of every conversation about who gets what is where the money comes from. It comes from us, the fans.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sadly, the fans do not get a vote, other than with your wallet, and most of that seems to be idle threats.

As has been discussed on the thread about the labor unrest, the fairest answer may be for owners to commit to the players a set percentage of team revenues. Then, the players can dicker among themselves who gets what.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

How generous. I hope MLB can afford giving away one cap.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Here’s what doesn’t make sense to me. They offered him $572,000 and he declined the offer so they punish him and only sign him to $562,000? What’s the reasoning behind that? I’ve seen other teams not reach agreement with pre-arb players and still sign them to the amount they offered.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mozeliak has never been about building good relationships with players. It will come back to bite him come time players become free agents.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 214 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years