Questions For 2023

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Questions For 2023

Viewing 25 posts - 426 through 450 (of 953 total)
  • Author
    PadsFS
    Participant

I think the easiest thing to do would be make Gorman the centerpiece in a Sean Murphy trade. It solves all these issues. Winn is a year away from being a full-time player. He may come up in 2023, but I’d have Edman/Donovan in to start the year.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Cardinals acquire no new position players for 2023, I won’t be disappointed.

Yepez for Pujols
    Burleson for Dickerson
    Herrera (as backup) for Molina.

Significant pitching acquisitions needed!

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If they can DeJong, we need a Sosa type. Maybe he’s already in the minors, and ready, I don’t know.

bccran
    Participant

Gorman and Edman need to play every day. Winn will need to when ready.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Where is Gorman going to play…DH? Donovan needs to be at 2B.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Locking Donovan in at 2B full time seems a waste of his utility skills, but, it wouldn’t last anyway. As soon as Oli had a need at another position Donovan would be on the move.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yep. It makes no sense to make absolute pronouncements about things that are not absolute. The Cardinals have a lot of options and I think that is good.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Options that include using Edman in a trade. Yes it has to be an option.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

If the season started tomorrow I would assume that Gorman is the DH against righties and Yepez the DH against lefties.

I think people are making a mistake in thinking that Donovan is going to be another great utility player like Jose Oquendo. As far as I am concerned Donovan is the 2ndbaseman and hitting 2nd.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the season started tomorrow, with Edman at SS and Donovan at 2B, DeJong is your utility guy Rats.

Utility guys play a lot, just like Edman and Donovan have recently. I’d prefer DeJong were buried on the bench, so it becomes who is the best option to get the utility PA’s, and from what position.

Gorman at 2B helps keep DeJong off the field, continues the FO plan for Gorman at 2B and allows Donovan to float as the utity DH.

It’s just another alignment option that allows Oli to deal with day to day ouchies up and down the lineup that will happen.

bccran
    Participant

Gorman will probably be the DH most of the time, with Donovan at 2B.
    Gets both of them into the lineup.
    Outfield will probably be O’Neill-Carlson-Nootbaar to start the season.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I agree bcc…only addition would be Yepez DHing against lefties.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Any guesses at alignments are pending additions from the outside. Remember last year, when Albert and Dickerson were signed late and everything changed?

We know they want more offense, but will a catcher be all they do? I suspect not.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The top of Mozeliak’s wish list for ’23 is DeJong being able to hit his way out of a paper bag to justify his starting at SS permanently. It will also justify his extension that is an albatross around Mo’s neck. That will solve the SS issue but will actually create several other questions.

The Cards will go into Spring training with six spots up for grabs. Make sure that you have a pencil with an erasure when projecting the lineup. Like BW said there are so many options.

Predicting the starting rotation is in itself a whole different ballgame.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

It looks to be a crazy off-season (by Cardinal standards).

Catcher, starting pitcher, outfielder with some punch is my guess. I think they work with what they already have at 1b, 2b, ss, & 3b.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

DeJong’s contract is not great by any stretch, but I wouldn’t call $9M an “albatross” at all. That seems an exaggeration.

The Cardinals still have plenty of “payroll muscle”. How much of it they want to use is another question, but do recall they seemed willing to take on Juan Soto, who is estimated to get $20MM next season as a third year arbitration player.

bccran
    Participant

Most people feel that the Cardinals need more offense. The crazy thing is that they tied for 5th place in MLB (with the Mets) in runs scored.

Here are the top 10, with runs scored for the regular season –

Dodgers – 847
    Yankees – 807
    Braves – 789
    Blue Jays – 775
    Cardinals – 722
    Mets – 722
    Phillies – 747
    Astros – 737
    Red Sox – 735
    Brewers – 725

The problem was consistency. They would score 10 runs in a game and then get shut out the next day.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep the opposing pitcher matters. Every club is inconsistent.

bccran
    Participant

jj – Sometimes the opposing pitcher who shut them down for 5-6 innings simply wasn’t that good.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

On any given day…..

I love that about baseball.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How much more? I think we need to get into the $170M-$180M range at least. We are currently at $134M, not counting the Waino deal. I suspect this organization could go to $200M and still be healthy financially. I mean if the Padres can have a $211M payroll I am sure the Cardinals could. The Padres are paying Hosmer $39M over the next three years to play for someone else.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with you, gscottar…the problem is, if Waino is back, the rotation is full, the lineup is generally full, so where is the money going to be spent? 30ish million on a catcher and bullpen? It seems like they’d almost have to spend just to spend.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I still wouldn’t mind obtaining an elite ace in addition to a catcher. As for the lineup it is definitely full quantity wise but what about quality wise? We could use one more big bat to go with Goldy and Arenado. I don’t expect all of that to happen but hopefully some of it will.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe some of those arb players aren’t coming back. Not only would that increase the funds available, but it could open roster spots also.

Viewing 25 posts - 426 through 450 (of 953 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.