Questions For 2023

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Questions For 2023

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 953 total)
  • Author
    1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Steve60…And Anibal Sanchez, who worked the best game of all 4 Washington pitchers in that ’19 NLCS allowing only 1 hit and 0 runs in 7.2 IP. As for Sherzer, he took on the look of Jerry Quarry the other night in NY. He was pummeled for 4 taters. What I’m driving at, is that although it helps, the presence of a first rate SP’er doesn’t guarantee success in a short series.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Our pitching was pretty great in the wild card.,…outside of an injury induced blow up by one of the top relievers in all of baseball

offense ALL YEAR sputtered when the bigs didnt contribute…. Arenado Goldy during most of the season kind of jockeying back and forth month to month.. and Pujols in the last month

They need a dependable bat or TWO…I do believ Carlson will be better as he was pretty banged up and Oneill should return a bit better after his injuries…. but they still need something more

hitters like Haniger, Bryan Reynolds, solid contributors who will never hurt you but may never be able to carry you either…add in a go big Contreras move with his power and i think the offense will be fine…especially as Gorman, Yepez improve, and Walker ascends

Steve60
    Participant

Free

I guess what I’m trying to say is if we went out and signed Verlander and traded for Beiber there is not a single person on here that wouldn’t think IF they stay healthy and IF they make the playoffs we have a lot better chances of winning a playoff series! Guys we have lost 9 of our last 10 playoff games! We have to get way better!!

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My thoughts …

– Need a starting catcher … current roster does not contain a good solution.
    – Could use an upgrade at Shortstop … Edmund will do, but it is time to move on from PDJ. I like Donovan as a super sub as he can handle numerous positions and it provides roster flexibility.
    – Need starting outfielder who can put up numbers (e.g. another Bergman or Beltran type of deal) … Dickerson not the answer, two guys struggled with injuries and Noot can bring enthusiasm from the bench.
    – Need a quality starting pitcher (Q would fit)

Pitching health was an issue this season and I am concerned they will remain an issue to be followed with Flaherty, Hicks and Reyes. Matz is another question mark for me. I do not think you can count on these to deliver big. Great if they do. However, Mo needs to have a very good Plan B ready to go when they cannot go.

bccran
    Participant

Matz isn’t expected to be counted on big. He was signed to be a dependable #4/#5.

bccran
    Participant

The only questions this off season seem to be –

1.) Whether to extend Quintana (cost will be the factor).
    2.) Whether to go after a better starting catcher.
    3.) Whether to sign an experienced left handed hitting outfielder.

The others will occur around the bullpen. Maybe sign some fringe guys with decent potential to a ST minor league contract.

14NyquisT
    Participant

#2 isn’t really a question… its a necessity.

bccran
    Participant

They may be okay with Knizner. The pitchers may like him. He’s still developing offensively.

bccran
    Participant

Knizner coming through the system –

Rookie – .319/.423/.492/.915
    A – .279/.325/.480/.805
    AA – .318/.368/.445/.813
    AAA – .283/.362/.453/.815

He’s only had the equivalent of one full year of plate appearances at the major league level over the past few years, and they’ve been sporadic, backing up Yadi. They may want to give him a chance to play full time for a season to see if he can reach his full potential.

1982 willie
    Participant

I think they stay with knizner, who the backup will be, not sure. I mean if someone comes available through a trade that’s better, I say go for it but right now I think they stay with him.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

“– Could use an upgrade at Shortstop … Edmund will do, but it is time to move on from PDJ. I like Donovan as a super sub as he can handle numerous positions and it provides roster flexibility”.

First of all, at least spell Edman’s name right. Eddie is a gold glover so there are not many shortstops that are upgrades. Eddie at SS and Donavan at 2B is an outstanding middle infield and should be the number 1 & 2 hitters in the line-up.

1982 willie
    Participant

I don’t know. I think edman regressed this season. He had his moments but overall I would consider it a down year or maybe it’s what he is. Not saying they should get rid of him but not totally against it if the right player is available.

PadsFS
    Participant

Edman improved his OBP by twenty points over last year and proved he can be a well above average SS. That’s huge development.

With Winn, Donovan, and Gorman also slated for the middle infield, Edman is a great piece to have for the future.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Eddie did not digress this season. He got better…he finished 13th in WAR in all of MLB. The Cardinals should sign him to a long-term contract now. Eddie does not disappoint.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Gorman needs to be moved to 1B/LF/DH.

bccran
    Participant

Gorman plays a reasonable 2B. He needs to be in the lineup every day. He doesn’t have the versatility of Donovan, who can play multiple positions.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Are you Eddie’s agent? You are obsess with him.

bccran
    Participant

No one speaks for Edman. His numbers do the talking.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

It’s not like I have one in mind at the moment, but is a paid subscription required to start a topic on this site?

Oliver
    Participant

Free

GameCard fixation on Edman is just weird. He only talks about him. I guess the man crush is real.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

“No one speaks for Edman. His numbers do the talking”

This is correct.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

1TD,
    No, you do NOT need a subscription. It’s free.

r/Esteemed Rat

Oliver
    Participant

Free

If the Cardinals trade Edman will you follow him and become his new team fan?

bccran
    Participant

Let’s get back to 2023.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Mo will look for a catcher and a LF masher. The catcher would have to be excellent defensively, so that limits the pool. Otherwise they go with Knizner and Herrera.

They seem to like Edman, Donovan and Nootbaar, so I don’t expect changes in middle infield or RF.

Carlson and Gorman both saw plenty of pine time, but they won’t really have to play their way into the lineup early on, at least in a platoon capacity. They will have to produce eventually or become part timers. That means Donovan will float around until Gorman plays himself onto the bench again.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 953 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.