Offense

Viewing 25 posts - 926 through 950 (of 1,013 total)
  • Author
    LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Carlson got a single today. His BA went up 35 points and his OPS went up 42 points.

It’s early people, relax.

bccran
    Participant

I’m not against new technology, so cal, as long as it represents improvement. Now I see kids spending most of their time on their cell phones, and I see a deterioration in people skills and verbal communication skills. My son runs a high tech consulting firm, and we have these discussions all the time. He agrees with me.

I’m open. How does enhanced technology improve the game of baseball for the fans? Less stealing, more walks, more strikeouts, less hit and runs, almost no squeeze plays, etc. Strike outs, walks, and home runs. Longer games. Less interest in the game by young people, etc.

bccran
    Participant

Of course there are, gscottar. But try to go deep into October without your outfield pulling it’s own weight.

Did you ever see Lou, Willie, Vince, Edmonds, etc. play? Did you see Matt, Carlos, and Lance hit? The Cards have a long tradition of good outfielders. It’s been a big part of their success over the years.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Of course there are, gscottar. But try to go deep into October without your outfield pulling it’s own weight.

Did you ever see Lou, Willie, Vince, Edmonds, etc. play? Did you see Matt, Carlos, and Lance hit? The Cards have a long tradition of good outfielders. It’s been a big part of their success over the years.

I have seen about every Cardinal play since 1977 when I attended my first game. I am not a rookie. The Cardinals have had good players at every position, not just OF. What difference does it make? The only thing that matters is winning. Al Davis said it best.

I don’t know if this team is good enough to make a deep run in October or not. Frankly, that has never been my expectation. As we have talked about numerous times in different threads the Cardinals are trying to do the best they can with what they have this year with some expiring bad contracts. There will be payroll room this upcoming winter to re-load. I expect 2022 to be the year we challenge for a World Series. We could still make a trade this July. Time will tell.

What gets old is reading the same thing and debating the same thing day after day after day. I guess using this board to vent is cheaper for you than seeing a therapist but just enjoy the winning. Winning can come in all shapes and sizes. It doesn’t have to be a slugfest.

bccran
    Participant

“I guess venting on this board is cheaper than you seeing a therapist……” – that’s really terrible stuff, gscottar.

Please stop the personal attacks.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t be whining.

bccran
    Participant

Show some fortitude willie, by restraining yourself from piling on. I won’t insult you, and reciprocity would be much appreciated.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t insult anyone.

bccran
    Participant

Okay, then how about not telling other people what to do. Better?

Steve60
    Participant

Free

I’m just really tired of the word prospect being used on Dejong O’Neill and Bader they have had plenty of mlb at bats! They are NOT prospects! They just suck! Can’t hit, ain’t never gonna hit and have now played so long they have no trade value because the other 29 teams also know they suck

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Dean entered the game with a .000 Batting Average and .125 OPS. He left the game with a .200 Batting Average and .773 OPS.

Small Sample Size, folks.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Please stop the personal attacks.

Show some fortitude willie, by restraining yourself from piling on.

Okay, then how about not telling other people what to do.

All these were written by the same person. Maybe lead by example?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe if Brian passed out some crayons. The non-toxic ones.

bccran
    Participant

LACardFan –
    Why not address a post instead of talking about a poster. It’s a baseball forum.

And just because people don’t like hearing the reality about our OF and SS, doesn’t mean they have to get their panties in a twist about it. It’s just a forum. And baseball is just a game.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

8 games into the season and 4 of the 8 regulars are hitting below .200 and the super-sub is at .000.

Maybe that’s the low water mark. We can check back after another 8 games.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Check again after 8 games? That is going to be 9 more days. In all likelihood, this thread will have another 50 or 60 posts by then. The group can dive into fresh and exciting topics like the Fowler signing, the Carpenter extension, the Randy trade and the longing for Berkman and Berkman (or Beltran)…

bccran
    Participant

Carlson – .192
    O’Neill – .143
    DeJong – .107
    Williams – .059
    Thomas – didn’t make the team
    Bader – out

gscottar – everyone seems to talk about the dry powder in 2022. But remember that the Cardinals M.O. is not to hand out long term high dollar contracts to free agents. They broke the mold with Leake, Fowler, Cecil, Miller, etc. Didn’t work.
    Look for a trade.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Seeing that Woodford is being sent down. No corresponding move made yet

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Looking at the Cubs ops and at least we’re not in that place……yet

It’s early!

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Steve60

What else can they do but wait it out? They’ve given us this lineup.

Oh they can trade but it seems like a 2009 redux where they have to get a bat.

Minus el hombre…

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

and the longing for Berkman and Berkman.

Did Lance start a law firm with his brother?

The Berkman moment I long for again is seeing him bump into Gary Cederstrom during the Game 6 walk off dance, then pause briefly to politely and professionally apologize, and then resume with more chaotic celebration.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dean entered the game with a .000 Batting Average and .125 OPS. He left the game with a .200 Batting Average and .773 OPS.

If our whole outfield could face nothing but more Korean League mop up guys for a couple weeks the problem would be solved.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Brian, over the next 9 days, over/under of 7 days of OF complaining/statistics and 75 more posts on this thread.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

I would:
    Bench Dejong and give Sosa two weeks at least at ss and see what happens
    Bench O’ Neill and let Austin Dean have at least 2 weeks
    Bench Williams and let Lance Thomas have a couple of weeks
    Sign Josh Reddick he is available and would bring in solid defense, solid bat and great team guy!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sign Josh Reddick he is available and would bring in solid defense, solid bat and great team guy!

2016 with LA: BA .258
    2017 with Houston during electronic sign sealing season: BA .314
    2018 sign stealing thing broken up: BA .242

I’d rather go for Puig and just hire somebody to follow him around.

Viewing 25 posts - 926 through 950 (of 1,013 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years