Matt Carpenter

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Matt Carpenter

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 206 total)
  • Author
    forsch31
    Participant

Free

But if he wants to be done with his rehab, the Cardinals must 1) add him back to the 25 man roster, 2) find a new injury to keep him on the IL, or 3) release him. Not much else they can do.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Question: If they send Ravelo down when Carp is brought up, who is the backup 1B? It would have to be Carp huh? Surely they won’t send Edman down (there I go again, assuming something over which I have no control).

14NyquisT
    Participant

He’s back. I’m hoping for the best because the next two months will be ultra-critical for his career. If he goes on a spree like he did in ’18 I’ll provide the BBQ sauce for the crow-bake bonanza.

It tastes like chicken… I should know. 🙂

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carp is owed too much money to sit on the bench so we know he is going to play. It is also true that Edman and Munoz have leveled off. In reality they are just utility players albeit very good utility players. They both have value to this team but will get exposed by playing everyday. I don’t expect Carp to have an offensive explosion like 2018 but if he can at least raise his average 20 points the last two months it would help. I don’t think he should hit leadoff though until he proves he can get hot.

Who should hit leadoff? I have no idea. No matter who we try it doesn’t seem to work. I think I would go with Fowler for now.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

IT was BEYOND dumb to bring him back up when he cant even hit minor league pitching!

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Onyx, what do you want the team to do, release him? They had no choice but to bring him up.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

gscottar,
    I totally agree about Munoz and Edman. They are both utility players. They might get on a hot streak and some think we really have something but, as you say, if they play everyday they get exposed. What is Edman hitting now, around .250???

r/Esteemed Rat

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

they had a option not to lead him off when he still can’t hit…

forsch31
    Participant

Free

That’s not what you originally said, though. Besides, unless you are watching those minor league games, you don’t know if he was actually getting his hitting swing back to an acceptable level. Obviously, he wasn’t.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

You don’t follow baseball terribly closely if you think a rehabbing vets stats matter in calling them up from injury. One could even say you’d have to be beyond not following it closely.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carpenter’s leadoff hit yesterday was a seeing-eye single right into the shift. Nineteen out of twenty times that ball is an out.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

A seeing-eye single through a shift (that goes by the player playing deep)? That’s a new one.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Paul DeJong’s exit velocity on his homer: 103.7
    Matt Carpenter’s exit velocity on a “seeing-eye” single: 103.2

I’m sure you guys aren’t biased at all.

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

I met Matt and his great Dad while they played in HS baseball here in Houston. Always was a huge fan but as we sit here 8/5 he is just a part of a group of players in a lineup that cannot hit. I will say it again a total overhaul is needed starting with MO and then the real work starts with a makeover of a team that has not see the playoffs in at seasons end four years. That is not acceptable in St. Louis. This organization is real close to apathy that leads to years of bad baseball. The great fans of this team deserves better.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m fine with Carpenter coming back. As mentioned, he’s more vital to the team’s success at this point than most anyone. The team can survive having a black hole at leadoff and 3B but only if other guys are really stepping up. We need a Carpenter who can hit .270 and have an OBP about 100 points higher or this team is going nowhere fast.

For what it’s worth, I think he will hit better, but it would be an unwise bet to think that he’ll hit like mid 2018 Marp. Some combo of Ozuna, Goldy and Carpenter will need to do that.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Atripleshyofthecycle wrote:

<You don’t follow baseball terribly closely if you think a rehabbing vets stats matter in calling them up from injury. One could even say you’d have to be beyond not following it closely.>

His foot injury was not what warranted a rehab. It was his inability to hit and mental frustration that sent him down. Mo and Shildt even said he went to rehab to ‘find his swing.’ I saw him on a TV game in Springfield and he looked awful in the batters box. He is prone to leaning back and then standing up when the ball is thrown. He was still partially leaning back on the 4 ABs that I saw. He did manage to do his specialty – hit a drive into the shift and also hit a pop fly to left field. PS: I do follow baseball terribly closely and see no reason for you to make such a snarky comment to another poster.

The guy simply seems to refuse to adapt or to try and discourage the shift that teams put on him. If he isn’t lining out to the shift or directly to 1B he is popping out to left field. That launch angle BS is what has killed his game. As for batting leadoff it is his OBP primarily achieved through walks that gave him a measure of success. But he has lost that ability by seemingly trying for a walk anytime he gets two balls. Pitchers have him figured out. Edman is a better defender and is currently and will continue to be a better hitter. Maybe Carp should try switch hitting. That should confuse the shifters…..LOL

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free
    atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

The ball was hit at over 103 MPH. If you think that qualifies for a seeing-eye anything, then you just don’t know what that phrase means. There were 11 (fair) balls hit in yesterday’s game with over 100 MPH exit velocity, Carpenter had two of them (he was the only player with more than one). If hitting the ball hard isn’t what you want from hitters, then I suppose you have a real gripe.

But again, you guys are just being objective, I’m sure.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Minuteman, the club is being blamed for bringing Carpenter back up and everything negative that happens on this team. Not by you but several others are VERY willing to malign the team for everything. It is not their fault that Carpenter is back up on the the ML team. Carpenter is in full control due to his ML time. Carpenter is to blame for wanting to be back in the majors and not changing his swing or approach. Shildt is to blame for playing him but if he can regain his former swing, he is more valuable than Edman as a hitter.

For anyone who says that Edman (or Munoz) is currently a better hitter, here is how they measure up:

Carpenter .215/.319/.369/.688
    Edman .248/.281/.406/.687
    Munoz .270/.293/.376/.668

Carpenter’s K rate is a little higher but they are all above 19%. However, Carpenter’s walk rate is more than triple either of the other 2. However, this is Carpenter’s worst ML season, by far.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Outside of like 10 weeks last summer, Carp is in a 2 year slide. Its just that the 10 weeks when he did hit he was the best player in the league. Not really sure what to make of that run but even taking those 10 weeks into account he’s played worse longer than he’s played good these past 2 years.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

<You don’t follow baseball terribly closely if you think a rehabbing vets stats matter in calling them up from injury. One could even say you’d have to be beyond not following it closely.>

Yeah, Al Hrabosky made a similar argument about Mark Mulder back in the day and it was proven he didn’t know what he’s talking about.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

That Mark Mulder did not perform well after his call up doesn’t disprove my point at all.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

My point is Mulder sucked in his rehab and people like Hrabosky acted like it wasn’t a big deal. Only it was a big deal because Mulder continued to suck.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As has already been noted, CARPENTER had the right to decide when his rehab ended, whether hitting 1.000 or .000, and SHILDT put him in the lineup. His stats are what they are and will continue to be what they will be. No commentator has any effect on any player’s game results.

MULDER is off playing golf, having retired 11 years ago, and is no more relevant to Carpenter’s play (minors or majors) than AL. If we wanted to start a list of things Al said over the years that folks don’t agree with, whatever he said about Mulder way back in 2008 might not make the top 100!

Twinboys
    Participant

Free

As a lifelong Cardinal fan, Ownership and the front office look like the laughingstocks of the league to insert Carpenter back into the lineup. He can’t hit, field or run but let’s bat him first sand let him play third base! Pure Brilliance!

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 206 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.