Matt Carpenter

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Matt Carpenter

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 201 through 206 (of 206 total)
  • Author
    ZTR
    Participant

Free

Sometimes when guys lose it they just lose it.

Maybe Carpenter can straighten himself out; maybe not. Either way the Cardinals are on the hook for a ton if cash.

Its a season long thing and at this point I’d rather see him stinking up the Memphis line up and getting 4 plate appearances a night until he figures something out instead of sitting on the bench and striking out as a PH every other night.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would expect Carpenter could have gotten at least what McCutcheon got on the open market last off-season

You might be right about the McCutcheon comp. I remember at the time I thought the Phillies way overpaid for him but he actually was having a very good year for them this until he got hurt. His injury actually coincided with their slide down the standings. But the Phillies were flush with cash and were determined to be big spenders last offseason.

My assumption is that other teams wouldn’t have valued Carp as high as the Cardinals did because they probably feel an obligation to take care of one their former greats. As you say we will never know.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have to agree that Carpenter is doing little more than stinking up the lineup right now. And there’s not much anybody can do about it

1982 willie
    Participant

well ZTR, I don’t think they can send him down to the minors unless he is fine with it. im not totally up on those things but his and baders situation is different.

1982 willie
    Participant

well sometimes guys get paid for what they did, sometimes they don’t. the cardinals didn’t want to pay pujols for what he did. he put up top 5 all time numbers his first at least 9 years and took a lot less with his one contract before than he was worth and the cardinals still were hesitant on him. yea it was evident he was losing it a bit but we are talking about past performance here. but yet carpenter who you could tell was losing it a bit last year got signed to a new deal when they could have waited and seen how this year went. maybe they would still offer him one because of his past performances but I don’t think it would have been as high.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Yep willie, they can’t option a vet like Carp (5 or more years service time).

Viewing 6 posts - 201 through 206 (of 206 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.