Matt Carpenter

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Matt Carpenter

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 206 total)
  • Author
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

forsch31 been saying this for 3 years.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Forsch31 wrote……Stop looking for a walk or swinging for a home run.

AMEN!

Not just Matt Carpenter, but the rest of MLB as well!!!!!

It literally irritates the living sh~t out of me to watch a player – any player on any team – swing like a maniac when all they have to do is make contact to help the team.

r/Esteemed Rat

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Carp at AA last night 0-2 with a walk. BA in minors = .000 0-21. Back to Memphis according to the FS Midwest guys.

Pork Twain
    Participant

I remember not too long ago, Carp was considered one of the hardest outs in the MLB and would do a great job fighting of bad pitches, finding one to hit and get on base. Then someone got in his head and said, you should scratch that and just try to hit home runs and here we are.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian suggested in an earlier post that Carpenter might have mental health problems. To me that makes sense. Talent doesn’t just leave a person, especially a person who has a long track record of displaying that talent. IMO, the reason a baseball player like Carpenter can allow himself to have a mental problem is the long term, guaranteed contract. Take that away, and the mental health issue would disappear. Same goes for Dexter Fowler. Maybe Wainwright’s guaranteed contract could be part of the reason Waino allowed himself to have health issues. After all, now that he’s out of his long term, guaranteed contract, he’s healthy again. It must be a ‘mind over matter’ type of thing.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

I think that is a gross mischaracterization of mental health issues.

Of course, there are guys that suffer from actual mental health issues. And then there are situations where guys say that they were playing poorly and it made them “depressed” (another word for sad) – and the media runs away with some bizarre mental health story based on a word that has multiple definitions, the least used is the one that is a serious clinical issue.

I have no idea if Carp is suffering from mental health issues, but his OPS probably isn’t the best symptom to judge by.

Pork Twain
    Participant

I am thankful that you are not working in the medical field. If it is mental health then so be it, but if it is complacency or laziness, then call it that. Those are not the same and you do not “allow” yourself to have mental health issues.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I suspect many players suffer from anxiety because of the high stress environment. Carpenter’s anxiety must be at an all-time high with his minor league performance.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Most professional sports require top physical and mental strengths. Entire books are devoted to mental aspects of tennis, for example. People go nuts and lose it in the golf course. And a little white pill coming at you at 100 mph, or changing direction, or bearing down on your noggin can be rather stressful. And while stress is a mental issue it doesn’t mean you’re off your rocker or depressed. It’s just pressure. Some of us deal with it more easily than others. And some of us succumb to it.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Is there a “real” reason to think Carp has a mental health problem? If not, then it’s bad to speculate IMO because it could be anything . . . or nothing. Maybe it’s ALS (that happened to Lou Gehrig, you know), maybe it’s cancer, maybe it’s yada yada yada. It can get pretty reckless unless there’s some credible knowledge to cite. Or maybe Carp’s just in an old-fashioned slump. Or maybe it’s just aging reflexes and he isn’t so good any more.

Everybody faces anxiety and stress. Take a struggling salesman of consumer discretionary products in a recession with two kids in diapers who like to eat daily and a spouse with huge medical expenses . . . . . now there’s some meaningful high stress and anxiety. There’s all kinds of examples to imagine, but everybody deals with pressure and the average Joe has to produce in the present to continue earning compensation.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Carp’s only problem is frustration. If you consider that to be mental health so be it but frustration is curable with liberal doses of success in whatever field one is trying to succeed. I think at times we all have been frustrated. As one small example, just this morning I took apart a small vacuum cleaner to inspect the innards for a problem. I found the problem but could not get the darn thing back together after umpteen tries. I put it aside and gave it some thought. After lunch I went back after it and using the things that I had thought about put it back together on the first try. Carp’s problem is not that simple but it does illustrate that frustration can be overcome by thinking through the problem an applying your thoughts to try and solve it.

You can almost see it on his face when he comes up to the plate. You know how he leans back and then assumes his stance just as the ball is being delivered. I watched him at Springfield this week and he was leaning back alright but several times he looked like he hardly had enough time to come forward before the pitch was delivered. He doesn’t have any permanent mental problems but he is mighty frustrated and in a pre-game interview he was very terse when asked what he was planning to do on his rehab in Springfield. Silly question but his answer was very terse to the effect of something like “Improve my swing” or “Get my swing back.” Good luck Carp but if Gyorko is traded I can see Edman as the new third baseman or, at a minimum, the utility player for the infield.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

He’s turned into a 3 true outcome hitter. I like a lot of other posters here wish he went back to being a high average hitter. However, I just don’t think he’s very good.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think what I meant by ‘mental health’ is that whatever is wrong with Carpenter is all in his head. Call it ‘frustration’, call it ‘anxiety’, call it whatever you want. But the talent is still there, and if Carpenter can’t figure out how to use it, then it’s mental. And, IMHO, if it was costing Carpenter $2-3 million dollars a month to be disabled, he would have found a way to get over it by now.

14NyquisT
    Participant

No. Anxiety/stress can be very disabling.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

All I want is for Carpenter to come back and help us get to the postseason.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

If you don’t think you can hit, you can’t. Hitting requires confidence. You are making precise decisions in microseconds, and you must have confidence to make them. If you feel like anything is off, you probably will be ineffective until you overcome that feeling. Mental health? I guess so. But, I think this is a matter of focus and confidence.

As far as I know, there is no MRI evidence of a problem with his hand/eye/thought coordination.

I do think as far out of synch as Carp is that it will be difficult to come back. I haven’t seen an indication of a focus to do it.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Going from memory here …

Shildt was interviewed on MLB Radio today. He spoke briefly about Carp as part of the interview. I thought he acknowledged that Carp has been struggling in his rehab assignment. He stated that he has been out about a month, was now healthy, but has been struggling with timing. He sounded as if the kinks would be worked out and he would be back when he was ready.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Can’t help but wish for the best for Matt Carpenter. Seems to me he really needs to expand his skills to remain competitive. The need to hit to the opposite field is killing his career. Its way too easy as he was, to take his bat out of the game. Its up to him. No magic is gonna restore it. I’m sure there are coaches to help with that. Nows his chance to really rehab his game. There are also clinics. The team looks fine, nows his chance.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Remember Carp was severely overweight in college until his college coach said something that got him motivated.

He did have that spell a few seasons ago where he couldn’t play for a few days due to fatigue.

Maybe he’s just bad this year.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

That 2-for-26 and .077/.273/.115 batting line screams ready for MLB games. Go ahead and plug him back into the starting lineup. He earned it for agreeing to the rehab.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

so stupid him being called up

GameCard
    Participant

Free

No, it is not.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Let me put it your way. Those are 24 outs that were not made for St. Louis. There.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Small victories.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

It’s not like we have someone at 3B that is blocking Carpenter’s return.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 206 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years